Furman Part 2

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Furman Part 2

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:48 pm

What a day at Gibbs-who was there along with about anyone who loves Wofford who was available. That was our best crowd of the year by far. YT, how many times did we stuff them on 3rd or 4th down or on the goal line. I don't know that I have ever seen our running defense that stout. Sure, we made some mistakes, but that was the first complete game our guys have played. Our best is yet to come. How about that last drive in the first half? We took the ball with a minute and a half remaining and took it down the field and scored in less than a minute elapsed time, I think. It seemed that every time we had third and less than five our guys made a first down. The O-Line was hammering the Furman defensive line. The kicking game was solid all day. However, I am one who has done his amount of criticizing the Offensive coordinator; but that call on fourth down at the two was one of the great fake field goals of all time. In retrospect it seems like a logical call, but at the time the whole stadium was shocked. It was the perfect call at the perfect time. Failure doesn't kill us and a field goal is not worth much-great call.
And to top all of this off we got called for "One Lord a Leaping!"
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:48 pm

....and left early.
Was a little disappointed in our crowd but lots in V lot so....
Too many mistakes and penalties today for my liking but love the FU a$$ whipping.
We were the more physical team today.
Validated our championship and shut some mouths in the process.
It doesn’t get any better for me.
On to the next one.....
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Just guessing ... LG was smiling too?
Last edited by lawdog on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 pm

...between giggles
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Caught those LG britches going across the road after the game. My wife said "Look at those pants!" I said, that's Little Giants, I'll bet he's happy!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:22 pm

We have never lost in those breeches.
Trying to find a way to ship them to Fargo. If i go, i am taking them with me to the game. LG to Army/Navy game next week.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:11 am

That was an impressive win:

**First half mistakes on offense nearly drove me crazy. The penalties, especially.

**Good Wofford crowd. Not sure if WoCo will ever be able to completely fill the home stands. Lots of people from Spartanburg who aren't grads support the team -- but it would take more of a movement of that sort, I think.....Wofford becoming just hugely popular with locals, even if they didn't go to Wofford. Again, there's some of that. But Wofford football isn't quite THE THING in town. Tickets aren't cheap, either, which might make a difference. Anyway, I'm rambling....it was a good atmosphere with strong home support.

**Terrific defense in 2nd half. Perhaps best all season.

**Just as the fake field goal happened, I was thinking to myself....might not be a bad idea to have gone for it on down-4 instead of field goal since FU would likely be on the 1-2 yardline even if they stopped it. Of course, I was thinking, probably best to play safe and try for 3 points. And, as I was thinking all of that, the fake happened. Great play!

**Furman coach had some pretty solid/classy things to say. Basically said that Wofford was just too strong in the second half -- more physical, powerful.

**Saw some friends at the game I don't see often -- and that was really great. That's a big part of what it's all about. Though winning is good, too.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm watching the replay on ESPN3 right now
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Wow, just saw the attendance figures from all the sites. We were next to the last in attendance with only about 5,500. It seemed like more than that, but then again it was crowded around me. NDSU was first, as would be expected. With our situation it would seem that to have regular crowds of 8,000 would be about the best we could hope.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:20 pm

OIRB#3- Did your daughter get to slide the hill? I am going to advocate for former athletes at Wofford, and especially football players, to have a number to call for tickets, parking and whatever at games. We should honor our own and make it special for them to come back at any time. It would also be neat for any former athletes to be recognized at football and basketball games like former members of the Armed Services. Ahhh-another windmill to attack!!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:56 pm

What a game! Proud as I could be! Got a few nicks in their feet by some penalties, but all in all, a terrific effort! Go Terriers.
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Yeah, the attendance number is a surprise. Either that one is a lie or the ones from the regular season are. That was definitely the most visiting fans and I felt our crowd was similar to normal.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby youngterrier on Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:43 pm

I'm inclined to think the regular season numbers are inflated.

From the ESPN3 feed, that was the most visiting fans we saw and it looked like a regular home game on our end.

If we pull the miracle in Fargo and Kennesaw beats SHSU, I would bet it'll be packed
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm

During the regular season they count sold tickets, not fannies in seats.
If we were to be playing at home in two weeks it would be the only game in town, and there would be no excuses!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football