All SoCon

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

All SoCon

Postby Ruckus on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Coaches 1st team - Brown, Carter, Demmel, Vaughn, Watson. Stoddard and Horton 2nd team.
Media - same plus Daniels and Stoddard. Jacon Duffy 2nd team.
Preister- all F team.
Surprised Morris, Wilson, Clemons, McAfee or Morgan didn’t make it somewhere.
http://woffordterriers.com/news/2017/11 ... ition.aspx
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: All SoCon

Postby youngterrier on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 pm

the media picks are better than the coaches IMO
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Ruckus wrote:Coaches 1st team - Brown, Carter, Demmel, Vaughn, Watson. Stoddard and Horton 2nd team.
Media - same plus Daniels and Stoddard. Jacon Duffy 2nd team.
Preister- all F team.
Surprised Morris, Wilson, Clemons, McAfee or Morgan didn’t make it somewhere.
http://woffordterriers.com/news/2017/11 ... ition.aspx

I am surprised too. We deserved, and fairly earned, better. But our guys will settle, now, for the undisputed SoCon team award, and then focus on the overall team award ... we can do it.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:52 pm

I think this speaks to a general disrespect of our players as a whole. MA is up for the Eddie Robinson award while our players are seen as less talented. MA didn’t score a touchdown or make a tackle or play all season. Not does any coach. To suggest we over achieved is a slap in our players’ faces.
This disrespect is obvious in the postings and public comments of conference foes, including their players, and their fans. I think our players sense this and have a lot more to prove. Chase Nelson spoke to it.
Look out from here on out. Chip firmly attached back on to shoulder.
I love it.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 pm

To Ruckus’s point, this is exactly why I get so mad reading Any Given Saturday. Wofford does not get it’s deserved respect or due there.
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 pm

I actually see it almost opposite. If we didn't have as good players as a couple of other teams we must be a much better TEAM to have won the conference! The converse must then be true if the other teams had so much talent. I can understand how our guys might feel disrespected, and I realize this is a backhanded compliment. However, our guys must really play well together if they can beat all thos all conference laden teams.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 pm

I've watched Wofford football every year we've made the playoffs.

I get a different vibe this time around. It may be just a feeling and not an insight, but I think this team will turn some heads
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:43 am

To 94's point...AGS can be infuriating sometime but it is dominated by MVFC and CAA writers. They are naturally going to try and sway opinion to the positive about their perspective conference...just the way it is. I believe this is why EB did not win National Player of the Year when he was clearly deserving.

Ruckus...you are dead on point...this should infuriate our team...Blake Morgan, Colton Clemmons...Datavious etc should have all been on the all conference team.
Peachy Carnahan
Junior Terrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:29 am

Ruckus touched on something where he is exactly right. The prevailing thought of us nationally, as it has always been IMO, is that we are a team of overachieving smart guys. Who are brilliantly coached to reach the levels of success we have. And to be fair, we are some smart guys that are coached well. Where this falls way short is, that we have an uber talented football team. In every way shape and form that it is measured. We have dynamic skilled athletes, we have big strong tough lineman, we are a very talented team.

See.....this is what happens when you run the triple option. People don’t respect it or appreciate it fully. The talent gets overlooked, the skills are written off to a “gimmicky” offense that almost no one uses. Which is fine....they are just pouring gasoline on a fire. You’ve added to the attitude and chip on our players shoulders

Now it’s time to unleash all of that on the playoffs. Start knocking em off 1 by 1 and make everyone realize just how much they missed the mark. I’m not looking ahead but if we were to handle
Business on our first opponent, I WOULD LOVE TO SEND THE FCS A MESSAGE BY KNOCKING OFF THEIR PRIZED MISSOURI VALLEY CHAMPS NDSU....AT THEIR HOUSE.....might wake some people up.

But I digress. One opponent at a time. Time to make some noise.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:51 am

Congrats to these hardworking young men on their achievement! It's not easy to get noticed in a well oiled machine like our team but these 10 did so. I think the most we've ever had is 11 or 12 recognized in a single year so this is a strong showing.

Let's not concern ourselves with those the coaches and media missed but let's celebrate those who are All-SoCon!
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby walliver on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:43 am

Our success is usually attributed to our system (rightly or wrongly). Our QB's don't throw enough to win awards. We spread carries among running backs, so no-one puts up gaudy numbers. Our receivers spend more time blocking than catching passes. We don't have a showy team or players.

On the other hand, there are a lot of names on the all-star list who have never played in, much less won, a playoff game.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Just curious: other than, Carter and F Preister, who would that be? By my count, all the rest played in playoff games last year.
Am I missing something?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Regardless of the All-Conference picks, our guys have the two things they wanted when the season started: a SoCon title and a chance to show what they can do nationally. What they do from here is on them and their coaches and I believe that's all any of them ever wanted; just a shot to line up and compete.

Many things can happen in the playoffs. Some good, some bad. Wofford fans have seen both sides of that over the years. If this team sticks together, plays smart and fast, and keeps refusing to lose then they will be in great shape. From here on out they can beat anyone and they can lose to anyone. What matters now are the same things that mattered in the beginning. These are our Terriers and I have no doubt they will fight.

As long as there is breath left in that little dog's body...
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:37 pm

Ruckus wrote:Just curious: other than, Carter and F Preister, who would that be? By my count, all the rest played in playoff games last year.
Am I missing something?

I was referring to SoCon all-stars from other teams.

There are s lot of “all-stars” who have never played in a playoff game, while most of our under-rated players have.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:06 am

Gotcha.
Agreed. All our little dogs do is make plays. But the common misconception is it’s the scheme not the player.
Glad MA is getting national attention Which he deserves but people still underestimate our players.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football