Gamechickens

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Gamechickens

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:35 pm

We have acquitted ourselves pretty well. We have turned it over twice and made a bonehead decision to go for it on fourth down in our own territory. I do have concern that we make some bad decisions, such as whether or not to field a kickoff in our own end zone. To me it is rare that players bring it out of the endzone past the 25 where they would otherwise get the ball. That just seems very fundamental to me. I think if I were the coach I would tell the deep guys that if they come out of the end zone they will run laps.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Three unforced errors vs. 0 = don't beat anybody.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:43 pm

Sammy just intercepted Furman with less than a minute left. Should be able to kneel it away. We are SOLE CHAMPS!!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Great effort... Like every sport, take away our INT in first half and Newman’s fumble after a great run, and this thing is a lot closer... Ready for selection Sunday!
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:22 pm

We gave them three short fields. That we could not afford to do. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2017/11 ... olina.aspx

Still, a classy and determined effort from our guys.

Cid, Mercer and WCU all got destroyed today by FBS teams.

BTW. Watching the WFU-NCS game, I really like Wake’s offense, with the fakes and misdirection. Some of it would fit our schemes and personnel well.

And Billy Hinton played great today. Rountree too.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Lots of missed tackles (by our LBs too), TOs, and drive killing penalties.
Effort there but we flat didn’t play well. Coaches will not be happy. Players shouldn’t be either.
To hell with moral victories: we got our butts handed to us. Team needs to play better to make a playoff run.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:34 am

Agreed Ruckus. Don't think the score was indicative of how close this game could have been. SCAR could not stop our run game. That 80+ yard drive to start the game had the SCAR fans quiet as a church mouse. We got fancy and threw the INT to let the fans back in the game instead of going up probably 2 scores. The choice of going for a 4th and almost 2 yards on our own end also was questionable. It let the SCAR fan base and team back into the game. It's like we never want to play the field position game. The opposing teams play book is restricted when playing with their backs to the goal line.

Defensively our pass coverages / gameplan has to change before the playoffs. We did a good job of modifying coverage on the boundary side by allowing some press and man to man techniques(offenses rarely targeting boundary). But if you go back and watch all 11 games everyone exploited the field coverage side of the defense. On that field coverage side it is all zone. Safety 12-15 yards from line of scrimmage and slot WR, Cornerback 8-10 yard cushion. And a LB aligned between slot and tackle. Teams attacked with quick out routes, bubble screens, curls, RB to the flats repeatedly. Run defense has proven to be stout.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 am

As coach said, without our three turnovers it is a much closer game, maybe even a chance to win. With that kind of differential, your chances of beating any respectable team are almost nil. SC gets credit for having 0 turnovers ... odds were against that. Our first turnover in particular, a pass into heavy traffic, was a killer ... took away a lot of momentum! Bad call and execution.

We can use this game to our advantage in the playoffs, knowing we will not encounter a better opponent and just need to focus and take care of business.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:30 am

I don't know about that. I agree the INT woke up the SCAR faithful, but the other 2 turnovers were by Newman. And from the outside looking in, I think that's when the staff just wanted to get out of Columbia healthy. No other rational for the QB change. Also, going for it on 4th and not converting is a turnover. Just as bad as a fumble. Lol
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 am

I'll take a little good and bad from each of the previous posts. I think our play calling was once again very suspect. We were making great progress running off tackle and with the pitch, and I hated to see us go away from it and play into the strength of the SC defense-their secondary. I totally agree that going for it on 4th down by running into the middle against their bigs was big mistake. Would love to have seen the quick kick at that time. I think we have to use Newman when we can and in the role we can. Like Lawdog, I watched Wake Forest against NC State last night, and I think our offensive coordinator can learn a lot from the Wake offense. We can't throw it like them, but they really show lots of movement and deception. Joe Newman CAN throw the ball, but you have to give him the proper routes to throw it to. Goodson may be more accurate with the pass, but no team watches film and sees him as a running threat. Newman scares the heck out of defenses, but not throwing the ball.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:59 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football