FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Road to SoCon Championship & Playoff bids

Postby walliver on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

Eric Deutsch wrote:
gofurman wrote:
And yeah, I know the committee takes 'time' to give you credit. I just don't think that is right.. AT ALL. Not for Furman, not for Wofford, not for anyone. Read the SRS rules or the committee statement - it talks SOS, WL, margin of victory, how you played late in season.. NEVER does it mention you need to have done well the year before. And it shouldn't. Think if your son was a senior on any team that had been having 3/4 wins and then his senior year qualified by every metric to be in the playoffs.. .but was not invited ! And the solace was, well, it will help get next years guys into the playoffs. That ain't a great silver lining for the kid that did all the work and is graduating.

You just described 2002. You could've heard a pin drop when they told us we weren't selected.

One of the more frustrating, and least discussed, aspects of 2002 is that Wofford had a much better resume than Appalachian - ASU should have been the team on the bubble. Appy's best wins that year were a win over Furman in the "Miracle on the Mountain" go-for-2 game and an equally miraculous win over Liberty where Liberty dominated for 55 minutes and then collapsed. Although much was made of their AD being on the committee, I have always felt the committee, in classic gold ol' boy fashion, chose to go with the three established teams.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:25 pm

The valuable lesson learned in 2002 was take control of our own destiny and don’t leave it open for politics and the subjective to take it it away from you. Grab it by the throat and leave nothing to chance.
Hope this team knows that tomorrow.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:04 pm

The valuable lesson learned in 2002 was take control of our own destiny and don’t leave it open for politics and the subjective to take it it away from you. Grab it by the throat and leave nothing to chance.
Hope this team knows that tomorrow.

Great things about lessons that are learned......You get to show how much you have grown from those lessons........Tomorrow will be an exorcism of past demons.....And will culminate with a SoCon Championship.....

BELIEVE ME.....this team knows all too well about taking anything or anyone for granted.......
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:23 pm

I was told-don't necessarily know it to be true-that App felt like Wofford was not good for the Socon. "Brought nothing to the table" is the quote I remember. They are several AD's down the line now, and I think the relationship with Wofford is OK; but that was a direct slap to us. I realize all the platitudes about us controlling our own destiny, but there are those who think it was a very deliberate move.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Congrats Shorthaired Dawgs 2017 SoCon Champions! We did our part so lets go up to SCAR and give them hell. I still am speculating a 6th seed (5th would be long shot).

WCU may have just booted itself out of the playoff, currently losing to Mercer. I still stick by FU is the hottest team in FCS right now. The Samford vs Furman game could decide if we get 2 or 3 teams in. A Samford loss and they are on the outside looking in (UTC and WCU loss). A Furman loss and they could still factor in the playoffs.

Illinois State and SD State is a pretty good game. Pulling for Illinois St and ND state
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Elon goes down.
South Dakota goes down
Last edited by WocoSix on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Still some games in doubt, but we are in pretty good shape. Elon was going to lose something. Jax St only won by a TD over a pretty weak team, so we aren't the only ones who can be accused of winning close against the lesser teams. When it all shakes out we are going to be 4-5 IMO. Ugh- just saw that S D St won in OT.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Anybody got any thoughts on how many the SO CON gets in? IMO, Western shot their chances today... Even if Furman loses, IMO they get in... If they win, then IMO its them and us. Samford only gets in with a win.
SmallTownTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Still guessing that Samford makes it with a loss. There are quite a few really weak auto berths and the strength is in the four big leagues. It would really be a shame if they got left out, but it sure is possible. How do you get to play a Pioneer League team in the first round? This afternoon there were 4-5 top 8 teams in trouble late and virtually every one figured out a way to win. Guess that is why they are where they are. Now it looks as if #7 or 8 is where we will be. Oh well, today's games show that every team can be beaten. A 7 seed wouldn't be too bad.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Not a good day if you're rooting for 3/4 teams from the Socon to get in.

Between Western losing, the CAA bubble teams won, a lot of big sky teams won, Austin Peay (who will be on the bubble with a win next week) won, Kennesaw/Monmouth won and there are going to be about 4 teams from the Southland with 8 or 9 wins with all of them winning or leading by two scores late.

Looks like a 7-4 Socon team will not get in. Furman probably has the best chance at 7-4 to get in next to MVFC Northern Iowa, but I don't know.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 pm

A 7 seed is not bad... I’d take my chances with a Quarter game in Jacksonville, AL... They could easily lose a second round game... They have not played well the last few weeks... Could give us a Quarter game in Gibbs if that would happen.
SmallTownTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby walliver on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:09 pm

SmallTownTerrier wrote:A 7 seed is not bad... I’d take my chances with a Quarter game in Jacksonville, AL... They could easily lose a second round game... They have not played well the last few weeks... Could give us a Quarter game in Gibbs if that would happen.

By next Sunday, NDSU will have probably moved back to #2.

In the end, you have to beat everybody to win the National Championship. Seeding just determines the order in which we beat them.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Samford loses and they’re out... Only 6 D1 wins (one vs West AL)... Now think SO CON only gets 2... Too many 8 and 9 win teams.
SmallTownTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Eric Deutsch on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:36 am

If Samford beats Furman, I think they both have a shot at making it. If Furman wins, they'll easily make the field and Samford will be on the outside looking in. Either way the only team that matters should be resting at home week 1 of the playoffs!
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:14 am

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football