Around the SoCon

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Around the SoCon

Postby boulder3m on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 am

A number of us would like for our team to put some teams away, and feel that we should have done just that more often. However, I just looked at the FCS pre-season poll. Which SoCon team has had the BEST; and which has had the WORST result given their talent, etc?
The obvious is that Wofford, Furman and Samford have had the best results; and that The Citadel and Chatanooga have had the worst results, but is that really true?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 pm

The obvious is that Wofford, Furman and Samford have had the best results; and that The Citadel and Chatanooga have had the worst results, but is that really true?

In regards to Wofford......yes.....The numbers show an 8-1 Team.....That being the best record in the SoCon....would officially indicate THE BEST RESULTS, to date......Not worried about splitting hairs about the rest of the conference and where they fill in between slots 2-8
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:24 pm

Local TV around here is hyping the App/Ga Southern game. What has happened to Ga Southern? They are winless this season. Does anyone know how Ga South feels about their move up? Appie has played in the Tydy Bowl a couple of times, but is just out there in limbo playing in a league no one knows against teams from nowhere in particular.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:29 am

boulder3m wrote:Local TV around here is hyping the App/Ga Southern game. What has happened to Ga Southern? They are winless this season. Does anyone know how Ga South feels about their move up? Appie has played in the Tydy Bowl a couple of times, but is just out there in limbo playing in a league no one knows against teams from nowhere in particular.

GSU made a strange coaching choice, picking someone that nobody had heard of.
App State is still in the running for a Sun Belch title, despite having a fairly poor season. App would be a good fit in C-USA with ODU, UNCC and similar institutions. Unfortunately for them, low-level FBS is dominated by conferences that make absolutely no geographic sense.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:04 am

While watching the GSU-App game last night and listening to the commentators talking about the interim coach and the search that will ensue for a new HC, it makes me wonder if they will be calling on MA to come interview again.....and if he will.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:22 am

WoCo65 wrote:While watching the GSU-App game last night and listening to the commentators talking about the interim coach and the search that will ensue for a new HC, it makes me wonder if they will be calling on MA to come interview again.....and if he will.

Mike has publicly stated that he will finish his career at Wofford.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:55 am

Also he's almost 70. No one is gonna hire someone that age.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 am

Walliver- Not long after Appie jumped to FBS I had the opportunity to sit very informally with someone very connected with them and discuss their situation. He was very candid, and admitted that the Sunbelt was not where they wanted to be, but were told by the NCAA that if they were going to make a move it had to be at that time. There was some belief that the NCAA would stop the jumps. He said that they would hope to be able to somehow maneuver into a conference that made sense, and we discussed how a regional conference might look. East Carolina, Charlotte, Ga Southern, Coastal, Liberty, Ga State and others were mentioned. It is interesting that in football it seems that there is the Big Five conferences, Notre Dame, a couple of others and then all the rest that really don't matter at all. It almost seems that there should be another level designation for the FBS non-Big5 programs, and then let them play in a year end tournament that would be called bowls. I guess as long as there are sponsors willing to pay for a totally meaningless game between teams caught in the middle there will be bowls for them.
Around Winston-Salem it is hard to get the real feel for the App situation. They scheduled home and home games with Wake Forest, which appear to be the most important games on their schedule. It may be my bias from what the App AD did to us in the early 2000's, but I see no enthusiasm for their conference rivals. Ga South could be their only rival, and now they are in the crapper; but Coastal is coming in. How do you get excited about playing a hyphenated team from Louisiana? They have been able to schedule some money games with Big5 conferences, but they are just cannon fodder. They still crow about beating the worst Michigan team in the century, but that only goes so far. The belief is that their actual sold seats number is far less than students enrolled, which is rather pitiful. It's a pretty place to drive to on an early fall afternoon, but that's about it. And, their stadium is still named for a convicted felon!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:27 am

65, it seems to me that there are some pretty good assistant coaches that came through Wofford that know the wishbone pretty well. The announcers tried to scoff at it, but if you are the only team in the league playing that offense it is hard to defend.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football