Chattanooga

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Chattanooga

Postby Eric Deutsch on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Agreed. It makes it tough on the boys up front. They're the ones who will ultimately decide the fate of the offense. And I have faith in them and their ability to keep those wins rolling in.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Ruckus wrote:We still aren’t, Eric.
I miss the old days of pure TO wingbone too. But the new spread option:gun stuff makes us more diversified and helps our passing game. The problem is we aren’t a pure option, drive blocking offense anymore but we aren’t a true zone blocking team either. We are betwixt and between 2 different schemes.

That's the source of our woes.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks for the technical description of what those of us who are not former players are seeing. As in other sports, being committed is sooooo important, and we just don't seem committed on offense.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 pm

It's easy to point the blame at the scheme but at this point in the season, each has been practiced extensively. The scheme each week can pull from a larger variety of formations, motions, personnel, and plays than the former wingbone only teams. Chatt's MLB was a disruptive force on the field and their defensive line was dominant at times. Those are the result of good players doing what good players do and ruining a perfectly designed plan play by play. It takes 11 guys executing on each play to be successful, it only takes 1 defensive player executing his assignment better than the offensive s to end the play before it started.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:30 pm

The gift and a curse of being able to do something better than normal in a non traditional sense in this offense. Brandon is a helluva passer. And good with the option. The problem lies in the staff having to go outside their comfort zone to call plays and a style that’s different than 30 years of offense for Wofford. Because if we are being truly genuine about Wofford offense......if it’s the true Triple that we want to run, then Joe Newman should start. He’s taylor made for that offense. He really is. He has juice, and a special knack to make plays with the ball in his hand.

That being said, anybody want to sit Brandon Goodson to do that???? I know my answer......Brandon is our QB....it’s his skill set and poise and composure that has helped lead this team to deep playoff run and to the verge of a SoCon crown that apparently doesn’t mean much to a crowd that expects it every year and has seen maybe 4-5 in their lifetime.....

So we live between the reality of how good our offense could be if we truly turned the reigns over to Goodson and supported his attributes that most set us up for success. And the 30 year tradition of the same offense that’s helped build a program......you want to know why we have some struggles....it’s in the decision to dare to be great with the unknown, OR to stick to what we know to get the results we can basically bank on.

My opinion.....
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:47 pm

I do hope that the offense is more tailored to Newman when it's his turn because the kid is electric. But I agree that Goodson is our leader and we are trying to scheme to his strengths. I'm ok with a series or two of change up throughout the game to keep the defense off balance or provide a spark.

It's good that Goodson is the clear starter because it eliminates any doubt from the other 10 guys on the field. He's the man. It's also nice to know that we've got a backup who can do some damage. QB is not quite as interchangable as any other position just because they have so many decisions to make in the option and everyone does it slightly differently.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:53 pm

We are not built to pass block like spread teams. So the thought of us going completely to a spread like offense is fantasy.
I believe the success of our offense is primarily determined by the 5 guys up front not necessarily who is taking snaps or handling the ball. Brandon has done a great job and I think we have evolved offensively to try to take advantage of his skills (some would obviously argue we should do more). But his ability to use those skills depends largely on what kind of work the OL is putting in.
But I also think we try to shorten games and control the ball to keep it out of the hands of opponents. MA also knows that with our defense we don’t have to score a ton of points to win.
So again: you like winning? or scoring points and looking good on the stat sheet?
That UTC D was no joke (never is).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:02 pm

My opinion (and I've said it since the Furman game) is that Goodson is the starter. But it's completely okay if things aren't working out and we need a spark to put in Newman. They have different skillsets and other teams have a hard time adjusting to one and then the other and back to the other.

What's disappointing to me is the lack of consistency when it comes to putting in Newman. It's borderline capricious. He moved the ball great on the one drive he had (before playcalling IMO ended the drive) and then he wasn't in again. For the first few games of the season, they put him on the third drive but we stopped doing that. I like that approach because of the consistency (admittedly he may have ruined it himself with his fumbles against GW and Western). Then, when we were in a passing situation against Samford, we didn't have Goodson in, when that was his skillset.

To use a boxing metaphor, Goodson's our jab man and it's possible to win just with jabs, but sometimes you need a hook (Newman) to set your opponent off balance. I'm okay with favoring the jab, but sometimes it's clear we need a few more hooks.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:23 pm

I'm glad we have Goodson installed as the unquestioned starter. I think Newman is a good change of pace that we could use more often, but regardless ever snap he does get is shortening his learning curve when he is the unquestioned starter next season.

Like others have said, I hope we tweak the offense a bit to exploit Newman's different skillset next year and I believe that will happen. Once that occurs, then maybe some of the concerns over hybrid schemes will resolve themselves. With as much speed and wiggle as Newman (and Blake Morgan for that matter) gives us, then it seems likely to me to see something maybe almost like the Georgia Southern offenses during the Jayson Foster years.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 pm

Goodson does an overall very good job of executing what it is we try to do. When it is Newman's turn, he will perhaps not be as deft a passer, but he will have the elusiveness, speed, and unpredictably to demoralize the best laid defensive schemes ... he can improvise while also running the schemes.

Our coaches know what they are doing. They have recruited young men with talent and character, and have schemes in place to utilize that talent.

That said, as we have discussed here before, we still need to have the couple or three plays in our back pocket to surprise defenses, gain yards and score points at opportune times. There have been games in the last couple years where we have done that and it has really helped; every successful team has that and we must as well. We cannot let defenses run downhill at what we do.

Our ace in the hole? Our guys are doing it for each other ... for the guy in the fox hole next to them.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:37 am

IWF. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0vfhLyoVY

Watson had many great tackles, a recovery leading to a TD, and a game-saving interception.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:03 am

if he doesn't get defensive potw for the socon it's rigged.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:09 am

Just saw this posted online. Chatty is losing some really good players. They will probably be in a rebuilding mode for another year or two. Year in and out the truth of the SoCon is that Chatty should be the team to beat.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2017/11/15/ ... urday.aspx
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 am

No...WOFFORD should be the team to beat in the SoCon year in and year out! :D
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:03 am

Post by woffordgrad94 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:33 am

No...WOFFORD should be the team to beat in the SoCon year in and year out! :D