Some Levity / Perspective on a SPECIAL SEASON

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Some Levity / Perspective on a SPECIAL SEASON

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:46 am

Let me say this, that I do not know how this season ends.......but what I do know is that I have witnessed some truly special young men put their bodies on the line, have poured their hearts and emotions on the line, to represent their College, their community, and represent their families. The levity I speak of is in regards to how we view this team, and how we support this team. This has been a great season to date, filled with ups and downs, and I’ll in betweens. From goal line last second wins, to scoring 2 touchdowns in a matter of minutes to come from behind just in the nick of Time, to having to gut check ourselves on defense and hold off another team bearing down on us as time is close to expiring, and having to fend them off to secure the victory. It’s been just amazing to see this group continue to find ways to win ball games. And because of that, there is a narrative being created that because these games have not been won in blowout fashion or by comfortable point spreads that somehow we are to feel disappointed in this.

And what I’m here to say today is, STOP IT. Do not let your professional sports attitude / demeanor, level of fandom, dictate how you root for these young men. I want you to remember when you are discussing this team that these are young men, not robots, not professionals paid only to play football and get results. These are TRUE STUDENT ATHLETES that are held to the highest standards in education. AND, they play through pain, injury, hardship, that is often times not discussed or even mentioned. Let me speak from personal experience, as my son is a senior, in his pod at school (4 players that live together) we have had a player almost die on the field and no longer can play the game he loves, we have had a player break his neck / vertebrae and can no longer play the game that he loves. We have my son who is playing with currently or has in the recent past, playing with a bad Achilles injury, an injured opposite foot, 2 hamstring pulls, groin strain, a separated shoulder, and injured back that may require surgery after football is over, and that’s not even including the minor bumps and bruises of a stinger, sprained wrist and ankles. And he’s a skill position. That’s not even mentioning the Interior Linemen that are involved in car crash like violent interactions on a play by play basis, and are asked to cut other lineman, are asked to pull out and lead the rushing attack. Playing in big bulky leg and knee braces, enduring scopes and surgeries to continue playing for their brothers and their program.

The players have girlfriends / wives, some have kids of their own, they all have families as well that have their own family dynamics in play. Light bills and car payments, and real life goes on that also impacts them. These young men also live hours from home, so while they endure their physical ailments, their family elements, they also do it hours from their permanent address. After Long days of school and in between exams and homework.

I say all of that to say, it’s all been worth it. As we wind down on my sons senior season, we look back with fond memories that we have made, approaching a degree on schedule, And approaching a SoCon championship and ring that we so co Ed as to leave a lasting legacy of a team that came together and made something special happen. We knew that we were apart of a special class of young men 4 years ago, and they are razors edge close to cementing their legacy at Wofford as champions. Don’t mind me for celebrating LOUDLY every last second, come from behind victory and being proud of a 7-1 record with every game coming down to the wire. I LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT and I don’t shy away from saying it. The young men give it all they have, every single time, so does the staff, and here lately, it happens to be enough to be victorious more times than not.

And that’s pretty damn good to me for a little old school out in Spartanburg, SC....with the 2nd smallest enrollment in Division 1 and no huge endowment. And growing from NAIA to Division 1. Let’s embrace and celebrate the underdog Terriers as they continue to be the gold standard of our Conference both on and off of the field. I want us to win em all...by as many as possible, but as is life, that doesn’t happen that often. So I’m going to continue to celebrate these young men and their accomplishments by 1.......or 101.......

GO DOGS!!!!!!
Last edited by 19TERRIER19 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: Some Levity / Persoective on a SPECIAL SEASON

Postby youngterrier on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Goal for the next two weeks:

Wofford has never won 9 Division one games in back-to-back seasons. We only have 3 seasons we've done that (2003,2010, 2016).

The only time we've done it exclusively in the regular season: 2003.

Even if we win the next two ugly (I think we'll be pleasantly surprised), this team has a lot to be proud of.

The seniors right now have have 28 wins. The record at Wofford is 35, if I'm not mistaken.
Overall:
2005: 35
2006: 33
2003: 32
2013: 32
2008: 31
2007: 30
2010: 30
2011: 30
2012: 30
2017: 28
How we finish this season (regular, and the playoffs) will determine where this senior class stands. Their performance is pretty impressive considering they only won 11 games their first two seasons.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: Some Levity / Perspective on a SPECIAL SEASON

Postby lawdog on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:41 pm

Well said 19T. Our players are getting, in spades, what a college education should provide to athletes. Real classes offering genuine substance and life skills from capable professors committed to teaching them. A comfortable living, dining, and work environment, with opportunities for social interaction. A team where they learn to respect the coaches (who also respect them as people and students), and to work hard and intelligently with teammates to develop character, overcome adversity, and accomplish a common goal. These guys are doing a great job of balancing these demands on their time, and hopefully they will reap an even higher reward in the postseason. One play, one game, at a time ... together. No one on this team wants to look back years from now and know that the team might have been more successful if only he had focused better or given greater effort.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Well said 19T. Our players are getting, in spades, what a college education should provide to athletes. Real classes offering genuine substance and life skills from capable professors committed to teaching them. A comfortable living, dining, and work environment, with opportunities for social interaction. A team where they learn to respect the coaches (who also respect them as people and students), and to work hard and intelligently with teammates to develop character, overcome adversity, and accomplish a common goal. These guys are doing a great job of balancing these demands on their time, and hopefully they will reap an even higher reward in the postseason. One play, one game, at a time ... together. No one on this team wants to look back years from now and know that the team might have been more successful if only he had focused better or given greater effort.

well said....
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:43 pm

Well said. It’s little wonder that you raised yourself a full blooded Terrier, 19! Your positive outlook and never give up attitude have no doubt been a huge influence on RJ and many others. That approach will serve them well in life and well beyond their playing days. Good on you and keep fighting the good fight!

Go Dogs!
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Well said. It’s little wonder that you raised yourself a full blooded Terrier, 19! Your positive outlook and never give up attitude have no doubt been a huge influence on RJ and many others. That approach will serve them well in life and well beyond their playing days. Good on you and keep fighting the good fight!

Go Dogs!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:32 pm

Mr. Taylor,

I don’t post much, but read this site most everyday. I’ve ready your post for 4 years. You are a man of integrity and help us all are the big picture. I am glad RJ and your family are terriers. We ate better because of the Taylor family.

Thank you for being a passionate voice of reason for us. Blessings on you and yours.
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:10 pm

^^^^^^^^^^
THIS!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:09 pm

+1

Post script:
We were in Johnson City last weekend and ran into a current starter full scholly player’s parents after dinner on friday night. We were chatting and we asked about their son and the team and what they were doing and the mom mentioned he was headed back to his room to study and catch up in some course work he needed to prep.
Welcome to the glamorous life of a Wofford athlete. No cuts no exemptions no special curriculum: no special treatment. A true student athlete.
I am so proud this team and these players. 1 point or 100 points, win or lose: these kids make me as a former alum and player proud to be a Terrier. I pray we never ever change who we are.
Fight the damn fight.....
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:47 pm

Thank you guys so very much for the kind words and thoughts. I just want you to know how much we value and have valued this education and this experience. We are from very humble means, and what Wofford has provided my son, the education, the life lessons, I’ve watched the maturation of a man. The mentorship and guidance provided by Coach Ayers and staff, and the opportunity to play on the field with the young men that share the battlefield with him has been special. We just enjoy the experience and plan on using this foundation to build from in the next chapter of his life. We appreciate all that Wofford has given us.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:28 pm

I have believed since before we started this is a special team, and nothing that has happened has changed my opinion. These are winners, and players that believe in themselves and their teammates. It is obvious in the way they display their persona, off the field and on the field. It is obvious the coaches believe in that. If you have watched the Terrier Vision and seen the way the players and coaches interact, then you will see the ability of these young guys to relate to their coaches, and vice versa. There is a display of leadership to be absorbed from both--I have believed that the best is yet to come in their level of play and execution, and think that will stand us in good stead--
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:29 pm

Let's also not forget that we are getting closer and closer to reaching goals. I think the grind of the season can make you lose sight of some of those things but as we get nearer to those realities, I suspect the focus and intensity will sharpen as the excitement of winning a conference title and the possibility of playoff football becomes a real likelihood.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:29 pm

2005: 35
2006: 33
2003: 32
2013: 32
2008: 31
2007: 30
2010: 30
2011: 30
2012: 30
2017: 29

ADJUSTED.....Going to keep adding to the Tally.....
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football