Defense?

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Defense?

Postby lawdog on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Chatt's QB looks talented, but from what I have seen is very inconsistent and gets shaken easily due perhaps to his inexperience.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:04 pm

One thing that is scary is that Mike and Thom on the radio told how they mentioned to Coach Ayers that Gouger hadn't caught a pass this year and Coach was unaware of it. That is concerning because I would imagine WE were all aware, given his pre-season honors and the fact that tight ends not even on the roster were catching passes and not Gouger. Is our coaching staff so insulated that they don't realize some of what we discuss every day? Maybe someone should tip them off that our pass defense stinks, and that our offense can't keep their heads in the game long enough to score the way they should!
This is OUR team, and it could be a GREAT team, but somewhere there's a loose link in the chain. 7-1 is a fantastic record, but we want more. It's selfish, but we saw this year's team coming several years ago. It may be a little optimistic, but many of us feel this team can be as good as they want to be.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:07 pm

ETSU plays everyone better at home; it's a marking of a developing program (look at Mercer a couple years back). We actually have some experience playing teams transitioning from their second to third years as program. We blew out Mercer at our place in their second year (when we were bad, then they took us to OT the next year at home). ETSU beat Mercer, took Citadel to the wire like us at home and won their other home games.

ETSU had 400 yards passing against Furman (who is last in the socon in pass defense, but that's still impressive), roughly the same amount of pass yards (and more rush yards) against a good Mercer defense.

I know it sucks the way we played and how close it was to being bad, but our defensive performance is still holding steady. I'm disappointed we didn't get more turnovers and they converted as many third downs as they did, but I'm not yet at red alert.

Chattanooga's QB makes more mistakes than ETSU's (throw more interceptions because he's pressured so much) and their run game is comparable. I'll be concerned if Chattanooga scores 24 on us because they haven't done that to anyone all season except VMI (last week they got a pick 6).
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:13 pm

It may get lost in our 7-1 record but we're still a young team. Our two deep has 6 seniors on offense and 7 on defense. It used to be that we rarely saw lowerclassmen see playing time, with the most of the two deep being juniors and seniors. now, half the two deep are lowerclassmen
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football