What are the long term ramifications.......

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

What are the long term ramifications.......

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:38 am

Of this. Saw this story and just thought that this would impact Wofford Long term. Thoughts....

https://usat.ly/2yXg8LG
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: What are the long term ramifications.......

Postby lawdog on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:45 am

One of my strong hunches is that Mr. R will put restrictions in any sale against the Panthers being moved from the Carolinas. One of the great characteristics of the franchise from the beginning is that it has created synergy and worldwide recognition for the Carolinas as a whole, rather than one state/city or the other. It has also, of course, proved to be the right business move.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:02 am

I am not at all sure that type of restriction will fly - to a prospective buyer or
There is a good chance we will lose summer camp when it is sold.
Mr. Richardson has been so generous to Wofford.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:23 am

This isn't news, it was said by Jerry a couple of years ago when he went to the city of Charlotte for money on the stadium renovation. His premise was that the Panthers will be sold within two years of his death, and that the city needed to be involved in the team if it expected the team to be kept in Charlotte. It has already been reported that the sons of Bruton Smith have indicated an interest in owning the Panthers.
The biggest surprise was Danny Morrison leaving. Many thought he would be the one to steer the interests of the Richardson family during the transition.
As for the training camp, the Panthers signed a long term agreement only a year or so ago.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:27 pm

A new owner would be very unlikely to move the team. Training camp might move when the contract expires as many teams are getting away from off-site camps.

Due to inheritance taxes, very few owner’s families can keep possession of their teams after the death of the owner and spouse. Taxes on a billion dollars is a fair chunk of change.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:42 pm

I think training camp at WC is unlikely to continue once the Big Cat passes on. He continues it because of its appeal at maintaining the idea of the Carolina Panthers, not the Charlotte Panthers, as well as his love and devotion to Wofford. As for plans to move the team, while the idea of moving the team seems concerning in a vacuum, you have to consider where would the team even be moved to? Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in the US and all cities in the US larger than it already have a team or, in the case of San Diego, have recently lost a team because the city was unwilling to build a new stadium. Hard to imagine them being willing to build a new stadium for the Panthers when they just let the Chargers walk out the door. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... ical_Areas
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:12 pm

I think keeping the Panthers in Charlotte is likely, but not guaranteed. The city has grown and the fan base has matured, so I think if a local owner isn't found that an outside owner would see the value of staying put, but you never know. San Antonio has tried before and isn't that much smaller. I'm sure there are others that would be willing to do what it would take, but I think the fact that Los Angeles and Las Vegas have now been occupied helps tremendously.

As for the camp, I would imagine that it will last only so long as it is contracted. If the camp leaves it will be a huge hit for Wofford both financially and in exposure/prestige. I think when the deal was extended it was not extended out as long as it originally was so there may not be as much of a transition period as we might like. But, Mr. Richardson is as smart and savvy as they come and I would have to think he would build in every advantage for Wofford that he could. Even if he is unable to steer this for Wofford it is hard to dispute the monumental impact he has had on our school.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:15 pm

I think training camp going away would hurt Spartanburg more than Wofford IMO
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football