@ ETSU 10/28

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

@ ETSU 10/28

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Hopefully we aren’t too dinged up and can put the Sammy loss behind us quickly. Next up: an improved ETSU team who will also be both rested and have had extra time to prep for us. (Is it me or does every one of our opponents seem to be coming off a bye week?) What do we know about their strengths/weaknesses? How are we on the injury front?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Re: @ ETSU 10/28

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:57 pm

The sooner we put Samford behind us the better. We cannot lose any of the next three.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Who starts at QB? Who starts at Center? Although, I actually don’t think it really matters... Gottta protect the ball better and make possessions count.
SmallTownTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:49 pm

To me it was very interesting to watch both of our QB's run our offense. Brandon did a good job early, and obviously had been coached that they were giving the QB room to run. On our few throws he did a good job as well. When Joe Newman came into the game it was like a fire had been lit. He is just so quick and fast that he puts major pressure on the defense.
They both deserve playing time and the opportunity to show their stuff.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:57 pm

To me it was very interesting to watch both of our QB's run our offense. Brandon did a good job early, and obviously had been coached that they were giving the QB room to run. On our few throws he did a good job as well. When Joe Newman came into the game it was like a fire had been lit. He is just so quick and fast that he puts major pressure on the defense.
They both deserve playing time and the opportunity to show their stuff.

Really good post. With everything considered, we did just gain 485 yards of offense. Hard to knock what we have going. Its Brandon the 1......Joe gets his series' to also impact the game, I think today Joe really provided a change of pace that was very beneficial. They both played well IMO. I can't see any changes coming forward. There is room for both of.these guys and like today, they will both be needed,
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:01 pm

IMO we ran the ball well on Samford because they had to respect the pass. Open it up for the run and the pass and we will be a good offense.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:30 pm

Samford's plan seemed to be take away the pitch/dive and make the QB beat them. In that situation, Newman is a much more potent choice. He's young and raw, but extremely quick and athletic which is a great compliment to Goodson's experience. Goodson is by no means slow and made some great runs but they are two very different style of option QB.

I feel sorry for ETSU because I have a feeling this team is going to come out with something to prove next week.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Eric- Don't feel too sorry for ETSU. Carl Torbush is a very good and experienced coach. He once was the coach of UNC and is very respected. However, I completely share your feeling that our guys may come out breathing fire. For some reason I think today is the day they really jelled as a team.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:14 am

Again, Roo is not the sole reason or person responsible for the lost today. He’s a warrior and wasn’t 100% and that’s a big deal for any position on the team and it’s up to the coaches to judge the possible consequences of personnel and they failed royally today. I’m not sugarcoating it. I’m certain Roo will be better by playoff time.

Newman did great but I think the primary causal variable of our moving the ball the last few drives was having the center at 100%. If Roo is healthy or Jerasaty plays the whole game we win today.

So, I think we will be mad next week and romp ETSU big time. They have a viable passing game but their defense is still not where it needs to be and I think we will be mad
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:25 am

Looks like ETSU passes a bit more than they run, so WOF needs to get ready AGAIN. They avg. about 305yds of offense per game....not much in relation to the SoCon average. And not nearly as much as WOF's prior opponents. And they give up (on avg.) more yards per game. But like all of the "others", they'll want to take a bite out of the SHD's. Best to get prepared and play nasty.......go Terriers.
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:00 am

We should be favored in every renaming game, except possibly the chickens.
Every remaining SiCon game is a potential trap game. ETSU best Mercer, Chatty has great talent, and we grey-haired fans still have nightmares about VMI.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:53 pm

If we play an "average" game in terms of how we normally perform on the scoreboard, on scoring averages on both side of the ball, we can expect a 28-21 win in my opinion.

If we lose, it's because we let them hang around until late and they do what they did to Mercer.

If we win, it's because we get up big and put them in less opportune situations and they play catch up.

The reason why ETSU has a relatively good pass offense can be explained by 4 things:
1) they actually do have a good QB and some good receivers. That's obvious.
2) They've played from way behind in a lot of games, which has forced them to go to the air more than they'd like (Western, Furman, JMU)
3) They don't have a formidable run game
4) Having the second best pass offense in the socon is kind of like being the second thinnest kid at fat camp. They're only about 10 yards on average better than Mercer or Western throwing the ball.

At the end of the day, they aren't Samford; they are about 8% less efficient passing the ball and throw it 12 times less per game than Samford does. They also allow 2x the sacks a game that Samford does and rush for 5 yards less a game than Samford does.

No game should be taken for granted; we can't afford to do that. But as a fan and not a participant in Saturday's game, I must point out that ETSU is a third year program, with clear indicators that they aren't where they need to be in the trenches to beat us. So, they definitely can beat us, and have beaten quite a few Socon teams in their brief stint in the conference. The only way we lose this game is if we beat ourselves, turn the ball over, penalties and leave points on the field.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:24 pm

Game notes. Jeresaty starting with Roo behind him. We have the same injuries as beginning of Sammy game so apparently there were not any significant injuries from Sammy. http://athletics.wofford.edu/documents/ ... tes_17.pdf

Media lunch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp63cAU5xbs
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:07 pm

ETSU has experience and size, and they are well coached. They throw it very well, have improved their run game, and have won three games. They beat Mercer, almost beat Cid, and hung well much of the games against WCU and FU. We must show up and play with focus and determination, and use our depth. Beating us at their place is no doubt a high priority, and would make their year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:00 am

They've played much better at home this year (wins against Limestone, Robert Morris, Mercer; close game against Citadel) than they have on the road. We have to win the turnover battle (as usual).

If we play Wofford football, we win the game.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football