Samford

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Samford

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:18 pm

The problem with a lot of locals around Spartanburg (and a lot of FCS programs most likely) is that most of them are on board with Clemson or Carolina (insert local power 5 program) and would rather sit at home and watch those teams rather than going to an actual game at Wofford. I think the College could enhance the experience to draw more people in but even then, there is not a ton of allegiance to the home-town team so it may just be something to do on the off-chance your Power 5 team happens to be off that week and nothing more.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:21 pm

And dare I say most Wofford games are televised these days and Wofford fans are watching them that way.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierDomination on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:26 pm

I have never been more happier with our players and coaches since I started watching Wofford Football in 2010.

We are doing everything right. I love it!!!

Bring on Hambone part 3!!!!!!

We are WOFFORD! Conquer and Prevail!!!
TerrierDomination
Junior Terrier

Postby boulder3m on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:58 pm

It is always interesting to see the attendance of schools with large student populations. At Wofford we claim a student body of 1600. One wonders how many of those will attend any football game. Add in the faculty and staff and you get the number of attendees before the public is added. With any school one would imagine that the students, faculty and staff might amount to a number that is roughly 25% of the student enrollment. If that is the case, then with a total attendance of 9,000, Wofford would have to bring in roughly 8,500 fans.
I have no way of knowing if that is a fair estimate. Homecoming might double that percentage.
If a large state university has a student enrollment of 20,000 one would expect them to be able to bring in more "outside" fans because they have a much larger base of alumni, families and friends with ties to the University.
We compete directly with Clemson and USC, regardless of what one may think. Virtually every fan of Wofford in the Spartanburg region pulls for one or the other. They may be "Wofford First" fans, or Wofford may be the default team of choice. Tomorrow both South Carolina and Clemson are both off and the weather is supposed to be perfect for football. We should be able to see whether the fans will turn out.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football