BenJo Renovation

General Discussion

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

BenJo Renovation

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Wow !!! Sounds exciting. I assume this means the BenJo will have indoor tennis courts among other things which I never saw when I was a student http://www.wofford.edu/constructionupdates/BenJo/
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: BenJo Renovation

Postby walliver on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:05 pm

It looks nice, but I can imagine tennis being a little awkward on a smooth surface.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:23 pm

So what does this mean for the Richardson building? Sounds like they're basically moving the equipment over there, but there's still a racquetball courts and Richardson.

I like this move overall though
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Correct on the smooth surface. It would be more than awkward. It would be extremely difficult not only to keep from slipping and hurting yourself but also to be able to hit a tennis ball after the bounce. And even if you were able to hit it, you would have to alter your stroke so much that when you went back to the normal surface - assuming you played on the indoor surface enough to affect your timing - then you would have to change your stroke back to the normal way of hitting. The only way I can envision a smooth surface to be useful is if the players were to practice their serves, volleys and overheads, not ground strokes. In other words practice anything that does not require you to return the ball after the bounce. Anyway if they do it right they would have to install a temporary surface for tennis that would be as close as possible to the outdoor surface. When tennis is not being played then the tennis surface would have to be removed. But I do not know if that is possible. Unless there is some kind of smooth indoor surface that is suitable for basketball, tennis, volleyball and badminton (of which I am unaware) then tennis will not work well on the smooth surface. But the renovations as a whole are exciting and sound great. Cannot wait to see them completed no matter what the result of the tennis surface is.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:03 pm

students will probably not play tennis there considering we have like 6 tennis courts outside by the village anyway
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Good point YT except on a rainy day or if the courts are covered with snow or if there are icy patches. However it would be rare for anyone to play indoors. On a nice sunny day most people would rather be outside
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 am

The new building looks great. I saw some pics a few weeks ago and all I could think was "man I wish we had these facilities back in my day". Should be a boon to recruiting for all sports too.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Return to Off Topic Conversations