Citadel Game

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Citadel Game

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:54 am

lawdog wrote:When is the last time we gained only 99 yards on the ground, and won?

When is the last time when we threw the ball (229) for more than twice as many yards as we ran (99)?

http://woffordterriers.com/news/2017/10 ... tadel.aspx

According to Shanesy, it's the first time since 1986 and the first time in the D1/mike ayers era. It's in the top 10 performances in school history

Also I know a lot of people want to shake their head at the way we played in the first half...but the Citadel averages scoring on about 30% of their possessions. They were going to score 10-20 points depending on how many turnovers they had. It just so happens that they had their points just in the first half. Combine that with how they controlled clock and that we only held the ball once and it's not surprising.

the big surprise is the way that the Citadel shut down our run game. I've never seen anything like it.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:05 am

Drove back to the swamp after the game, WOW! After reading the posts from some who watched online, I get some of the frustration early on. But that was a really good game to watch on the field. Cid ripped us a bit early, but the Terriers never were out of it. And sometime after the half, when I looked at the swing in total yards gained, we knew that the tide and momentum had swung to WOF. And, guess what fans; WOF has a passing game! Was proud of the strategy in the 2nd half. And that O line just wore down Cid late....it was obvious. That final TD, when two "big backs" roared thru the line.....WOW. Can't say enough about the D on the final stand...........go Terriers!!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:49 am

The second half adjustments on both sides of the ball were amazing......talking about switching gears and totally regaining control of the game......the Lines on both sides really got after it especially in the 2nd half......

Loved the offensive adjustments to throw the ball......and trust Goodson to make plays with his arm....the kid has a great arm and makes good decisions with the ball.....receivers made plays......like gave time....this is 1 Bery key ingerdient to me why THIS WOFFORD team specially is better. The ability to stretch defenses with the passing game.

And whatever defensive tweak we did with the D line in the second half......oh my.....we went from our heels to all in the citadel backfield. We viciously attacked the line of scrimmage. Was beautiful.

Such good adjustments at the break.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Officially we were penalized 5 times for 60 yards. In addition there were a couple of big penalties that weren't enforced (offsetting). There were some stupid penalties committed by our guys and some hot dogging that could have been called and weren't. That is not our style and I hope we can get it under control. I know both sides were guilty, but we paid a bigger price. Can't be stupid and expect to win.

Mudrat I watched the game again on Watch ESPN, and I didn't change my mind. The Citadel was open for us to hammer them with the pass the whole first half and we just continued to try to run against an 8 or 9 man front. Our safety was just poor play calling. If you then compare to the final drive when we mixed it up it is night and day. Every pass doesn't have to be a home run. We have great receivers who can catch and then run. Throwing those dink passes keeps the LB's out of the face of our power runners and opens the whole field. If the coaches make the adjustments that seem to be apparent IMO we should be about a 2-1 run to pass offense. We have the chance to be a real offensive threat if we use the passing game we showed late last night.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:01 pm

youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 pm

From this it stands out that our receivers, including the RB's, have good hands and skills.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 pm

I got a laugh at the end of the game when The Citadel’s players acted so angry, given th back of their jerseys said “honor”. But I wasn’t at all surprised. They’ve always been this way.#badsports #nohonor
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:22 pm

Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:50 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:31 pm

One POW, two others nominated. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2017/10 ... honor.aspx

Mason Alstatt had a fine game too, with 10 tackles (six solo), many successful coverages, and apparently causing their fumble on our one-yard line.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:48 pm

One subtle observation after watching the game Saturday was on the fumble by Stoddard after the pitch. Not knocking Andre at all but just wondering why we are pitching it to him going to his left. That has to be a more difficult direction for him to catch the ball because of his hand and if you watch the play he has to turn his entire torso towards BG on the pitch and reaches up with the left hand. Not making excuses for him and he wouldn't make it an excuse either but just was something I noticed.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:56 pm

I think it's a valid question. Only way to know for certain if it was a coaching mistake is if we looked through the film to see how many times he ran that play (if at all) without a hitch.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby OlRB#3 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:09 pm

I remember the play and could be a result of us flipping the play at the line of scrimmage. I’m sure that play cal would not have been from the huddle.
OlRB#3
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:47 am

Atldog7 wrote:One subtle observation after watching the game Saturday was on the fumble by Stoddard after the pitch. Not knocking Andre at all but just wondering why we are pitching it to him going to his left. That has to be a more difficult direction for him to catch the ball because of his hand and if you watch the play he has to turn his entire torso towards BG on the pitch and reaches up with the left hand. Not making excuses for him and he wouldn't make it an excuse either but just was something I noticed.

The pitch should have been caught, but the pitch also should never have been made.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:49 am

One things I'm worried about with Goodson is that I feel like he doesn't take the ball enough on the option. He pitches and hands off, which is great for optimal yardage, but you rarely see him take it.

It's not because he's slow as some assert, he's just deferential on the option and that's a recipe for disaster if we aren't careful.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football