GAMEDAY!!!!!!!! (WESTERN CAROLINA EDITION)

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: GAMEDAY!!!!!!!! (WESTERN CAROLINA EDITION)

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Stoddard is offensive player of the week and Carter is special teams player of the week for the SoCon!
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:42 pm

It's water under the bridge now (too bad there was not "video review" in this game).

Here's a frame by frame look....... interception or an incomplete pass?

That would leave 4th and long if it were an incomplete pass.........not out of the realm of possibility but not a great spot to be in either....looks like a helluva play to decide the game....2 players putting it on the line for the win....one came up with the ball......
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby The Cats on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:58 pm

"2 players putting it on the line for the win....one came up with the ball......"

Yeah, and as usual the SoCon ref made a bad call on the play. It was not just a bad call, but a game-winning bad call for the home team..........
The Cats
Junior Terrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:03 pm

So that’s your take......you lost because of a bad call.?
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:35 pm

I thought the pass was incomplete after viewing the replay. Of course, there were several other botched calls in the game
Class of '07. GDI with very few athletic skills to speak of.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Players of the week Carter and Stoddard http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2017/ ... onors.aspx

With two interceptions and one the game winning int Gbesee was not even one of the players considered for the honor as DPOTW. But most important was the W. I am sure he would prefer the W over the honor
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby The Cats on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:01 pm

19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:03 pm
"So that’s your take......you lost because of a bad call.?"

My take is the game ended prematurely, and Wofford was awarded the win, because of a bad call. Big difference.

We'll never know how the game would have ended if the proper call was made, and the game continued.

If you're happy winning based on a proven ref's bad call, so be it..... I'm sure it doesn't worry Wofford fans one bit, but we all now know now........
The Cats
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm

attributing an outcome to a ref is usually the last gasp
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 pm

The Cats wrote:19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:03 pm

My take is the game ended prematurely, and Wofford was awarded the win, because of a bad call. Big difference.

We'll never know how the game would have ended if the proper call was made, and the game continued.

If you're happy winning based on a proven ref's bad call, so be it..... I'm sure it doesn't worry Wofford fans one bit, but we all now know now........

Don't put yourself in a position to let the refs have the opportunity to decide the outcome of the game
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm

19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:03 pm

If you're happy winning based on a proven ref's bad call, so be it..... I'm sure it doesn't worry Wofford fans one bit, but we all now k

Our player made the play.....yours didnt...they literally had the exact same opportunity to fight for the ball...one came out with it.....

Don't cheapen your teams' effort by being one of THOSE types of fans......

We gave your team the respect it deserves....great team and quality group......Take this loss and learn from it.....you got beat by a really good Wofford team that played FAR FROM PERFECT...you know....the called TD back, a phantom facemask that led one of your scores, or the fact that Wofford held your high octane offense well below its yardage averages, its scoring averages....or that Wofford scored above its averages, gained more than it normally averages.....or basically..winning the game across the board.......
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 pm

PREACH, Brother 19!!
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Terrier13 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:47 pm

It looked incomplete on immediate replay. At the SoCon level though, where we've only had the ability to watch most games live for a few years now, implementing replay isn't viable because of the limited number of camera angles, extra technical production required, etc. if I was a Western fan, I would be annoyed that I lost that way. That said, the odds of Western converting on 4th and very long to get a first down/touchdown were really low and, even assuming that such a long shot happens, you've only tied it and your defense is gassed as was made clear by Wofford's easy TD in OT. Tldr; was the call wrong? Probably. Did it change the outcome of the game? Almost certainly not.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:06 pm

It wouldn't have bothered me to keep playing. By overtime, Western's D was completely gassed and putting up zero resistance. Everyone could see that. Successive overtime periods would have only played more and more into our hands. Heck, I feel a little cheated. It would have been fun to put up over 50 points and 500 yards rushing on a conference opponent! Would have provided a nice jump start offensively to the second half of our season.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:36 pm

http://fcsinsider.com/news/2017/10/9/fo ... oct-9.aspx

I don't have quick access to those who were winners of these awards, but the fact that Gbesse wasn't even mentioned is a joke. Two interceptions with one that won the game are pretty big. Also, I don't know what the others in the offensive award did to deserve their mention, but Stoddard, with 157 yards rushing against what is probably the other best team in the conference is strong.
The national media seems to never give our fullbacks the credit because of what they consider our system (see other Breitenstein comments). It seems to me exactly the opposite should be the case. For our fullback to gain that much yardage running mostly between the tackles into a defense that hits him every time; and still have him gain a very high average per carry is spectacular. But then again we are the Rodney Dangerfield of FCS Football...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football