The Citadel

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

The Citadel

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:50 pm

Well, the Bulldogs from Charleston will give us a fight. They are 3-2 right now, but they've lost two straight in games that weren't their best. They will be looking to get back on track for the playoffs and they'll remember how we beat them last year in the playoffs.

The good thing about how our schedule is set up is that there's no team to look past. This game will (no surprise) come down to offensive execution. It will definitely be low scoring. I don't think we've ever started 6-0 as a D1 program, so I think that will be motivation enough to bring our best to the Citadel.

It'll be a much different game from this week.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: The Citadel

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:25 am

The game should be shorter since neither team will throw it a whole lot.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:50 am

Hmmmm, not sure about that.
Cid threw it 32 times v Mercer this week.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:09 am

A lot of those 32 were in comeback mode once the score had gotten 24-7... It looks to me by watching some Belhop games on ESPN 3 that Allen has gotten heavier... May just be me, but not as mobile as he once was.
SmallTownTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby boulder3m on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:30 am

Like us, Cit will run if they can; throw if they must. It appears that they can't run like they have in the past few years, and their option is the pass. Our defense is getting better, and it will be another good test. This is a great opportunity for a road trip. The last time we were down there we tooks something special away from them. Time to go shove their noses into it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:54 am

No doubt they will be fired up and ready. They most definitely remember last year in the playoffs. We need to be ready for sure.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:10 pm

Good point RT, this is the classic "bear trap on the trail" scenario. A little let-up, some none concentration, and something bad happens. It's hard to stay razor sharp every single snap of the ball, but WOF has got find a way to stay in a "rage". You can bet El Cid still has that bitter taste in their mouths from last season, and will try everything in their power to trap the Terriers. I'll be there.......will all of you? Go Terriers!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:04 pm

From what I’ve been reading in the Charleston paper, El CID coaches seem to be questioning their QB situation. In the Sammy loss, they pulled Allen and the 2nd stringer led a comeback of sorts. However, against Mercer, Allen played the entire game. Coach Thompson said it was because of the way Mercer schemed them on D? It looks like they’ve had a few turnovers and costly penalties of their own in the last 2 weeks... sounds familiar, eh?

Regardless, we need to take care of the things we can control. We definitely cannot continue to commit 11 penalties for 100+ yards, drop wide open passes, or lose pitches. Having said that, I feel like our O had its best game yet against Western. We wore them down in the 2nd half and really moved it with ease in the 4th and in OT. Also, I agreee that our D was much better in the 2nd half. However, it seemed like we still struggled a bit in containing the Western QB, particularly when out pass coverage was good... seemed like all he had to do was tuck it and he had an easy 7-8 yards. Not sure what the issue is there? LBs not staying home, missed assignments, failing to wrap up or all of the above. Would love to see us clamp down on that better this week.

I feel like we are still just scratching the surface with how good this team can be. The heart is most definitely there, just need a little better execution, discipline and to play a full 4 quarters up to our potential. When that happens, look out !

Let’s Go You Short-Haired Dogs
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 am

YT- How about an analysis of The Citadel and comparison of this year to the past? They appear to be a different team in concept and execution. What should we be looking for from them?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:54 pm

I will have something for y'all later this evening
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:35 pm

This one will come down to who wants it more. No doubt Cid has every reason to want to win: it will put them back well into the winner's column and give them a shot at the postseason, while a loss will put them at 50-50. They will feel more confident than usual playing against an offense very similar to their own. And, beating us is really a goal of theirs, especially in recent years.

The point: as suggested above, we had better show up ready to play and execute at a high level and with great energy if we are to have a chance to win this one.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Looking to come out and jump on Citadel early......keep them off schedule and behind the chains.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:30 pm

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Donnybrook on the water... Belhops backed into a corner... This will be one for the ages... SHDs 20-19
SmallTownTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Shorthair13 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:51 pm

This is the game when it all comes together!! Penalties will be reduced along with costly turnovers. I agree with T19 that we'll jump on them early and keep them off balanced. The atmosphere will be off the charts and the team will be hyped. We will play a complete game..for 4 quarters!! STATEMENT GAME!! WE ARE THE BIG DOGS OF THIS CONFERENCE AND ITS TIME TO EAT!!!
Shorthair13
Terrier Pup

Next

Return to Football