GAME DAY!!!!!!!! (PRESBYTERIAN).....

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: GAME DAY!!!!!!!! (PRESBYTERIAN).....

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:00 am

Believe it or not we are actually number one in pass defense in the Socon
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:42 am

That’s crazy YT.....but the numbers are the numbers. I’ll take it.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:11 am

boulder3m wrote:Some have mellowed-not me. A team with a good QB and receivers who can catch the ball could shred us.

We have essentially been rushing only DL's all year; that may be about to change. Patience my friend.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:55 pm

My comments are that, from what we have shown thus far, we are NOT a superior team. The Wofford team that has taken the field thus far will get chewed up by a strong passing team. That doesn't mean that another Wofford team might not be there if needed. We may have the ability to create some rushes and stunts to change that up, and perhaps our coverage can tighten. Our offense hasn't shown the ability to maintain the long scoring drives that keep the ball out of the hands of the opposing offense. Our option is bogged down, IMO, by a very slow QB who poses no real running threat. The enigma is that he is the best throwing QB of the two playing. As I mentioned, maybe Newman can line up as an end and take an end around pitch from Goodson that can be then thrown, or vice versa. Somehow we have to get Newman's quicks in the option to spread the defense and make them respect us. We have shown the ability to throw and catch the ball, but WOFFORD needs to be able to run the option with ALL facets clicking. This next Saturday will be a BIG test for us. Can we meet the test WCU presents? I hope that my feelings to date are wrong.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Young you are our resident stat guy. CAn you post the pass defense numbers for the SoCon. And the offensive pass offense ranks In curious to the numbers
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:50 pm

All those numbers are in our Game Notes posted every Monday.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I will check those on Monday.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Here's a link to the statistics. They update usually around midnight after game day

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/soc ... nfldrs.htm

Superlatives a month into the season:

6th in scoring offense (not good)
2nd in scoring defense (good)
5th in total offense (meh)
2nd in total defense (good, and really the Citadel hasn't played as good a schedule as us)
3rd in rushing offense
2nd in rushing defense (and I would argue, again that the rushing teams we've faced were better than the Citadel's thus far)

Our pass offense is predictably 8th, but our pass defense is #1
Our pass efficiency is fourth and our pass efficiency defense is 2nd (and less than a point from first)

There are other stats, but I'll let everyone else sort through them
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:33 pm

I think it's also worth noting that this game was poorly officiated. We probably didn't recover that fumble but there were a lot of clear holds that were not called against PC. They blocked 6 on 4 all night and held and we couldn't get pressure.

I'm concerned about our inability to get pressure this year so far, but part of that could be opponent scheming
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:19 pm

Young that is my concern as well. No pressure
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:29 pm

From the numbers we aren’t that bad. We have a good pass defense and a great run defense. That’s what can win us the conference. We will never commit to passing the ball so we will always be last in that category. But I’d like to see us score more. This next game will tell the tale for me.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:45 pm

One troubling statistic for our offense: We've only scored 40 points against a division one team twice in the last five years. The current senior class has only scored 40 points against a division one opponent.

Now, I understand we play an option offense and we don't usually score that much, but to put things in perspective, between 2003 and 2012, there were only 2 years where we didn't have that many 40 point games in a season.

Obviously, scoring 40 points is not the sole indicator of a healthy offense. In fact, scoring 40 is probably not the norm in college football. Having said that, I would say that the average "good" offensive team should be able to land it against decent competition at least twice in a season. We've done it in the past, and when I harp on the offensive playcalling, this is what I'm talking about. I have no doubt we have great coaches when it comes to coaching fundamentals and player development. But when it comes to strategy something is wrong. It's not something that's always been a problem, it's something that's new in the last 5 or so years.

Another final point for this post: I wouldn't be worried about our lack of offensive octane for this season if the games weren't so close. When you can't score points with strong authority, one or two bad mistakes could put the game in doubt (see Gardner Webb and Furman).

Once again, I think our defense is fine and one or two mistakes explains 1/3 (or more) of the points they've given up this season. It's hard to tell if those mistakes are just statistical outliers (colliding with your teammates on a pass play against GW or a missed tackle in the final minute against Furman) or an expected norm of our defense. I'm hoping it's the latter, but it's likely the former. This is only a problem if your offense isn't reliable. To be honest with you, I don't feel confident in it. Right now, the offense is at the season average of 2016 points-wise (and perhaps a little better yardage), but it's not clear if we've played stupendous competition to compare. If we play better teams, those averages may go down and that won't help our probability of winning
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:43 pm

1 quarter of the season down. UNDEFEATED M...mission accomplished this far..onto the next chapter.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:49 pm

youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:19 pm

Also I don't see what people are seeing when they say Brandon Goodson is slow. I think he's got better break away speed than many of our QBs in the past decade or so and this is the first time we've heard much about QB speed. I'll take Goodson in a foot race over Butler, Lawson, Kass, and maybe even Weimer. He may not be as fast as Newman, Mitch Allen, or Evan Jacks, but his passing ability is better than them (Butler and Kass are the only ones better or on-par with him and he's a better runner). All of this is eye-test of course and not the actual statistics. One stat I like is that he's on pace to win more games against FCS opponents than we had in the three years prior to him being the undisputed starter. He's at 11ish right now, if you want to take out the Citadel game, by the same logic he won the ETSU game; we won only 14 FCS games between 2013-2015,

I like that he looks to pitch the ball or hand it off first (our pitch game has improved since he started last year). People assume just because he gets tackled in the backfield on occasion or because he doesn't look to shred defenses first that he's slow. He's reading, and he can't really help if people don't block for him.

I have to reiterate, our personnel is fine. We're as talented as ever. It's the playcalling that sets us in sub-optimal positioning
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football