GW game thread

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: GW game thread

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:02 am

Have to strongly agree with Ruckus. The turnover was on the RB, not the QB. I think when IWF comes out you will see it pretty obviously. When Newman was in it stretched the defense completely. Not saying he should be in there in lieu of Goodson, but the two together can really put pressure on our opponents.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:47 am

Before everybody gets too nostalgic about previous DC's, we need to remember that Fuqua got off to a rocky start his first year. In fact, Mike Ayers questioned his play-calling after a disappointing loss to Gardner-Webb in a post-game interview.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:15 am

19TERRIER19 wrote: Also need to kill the penalties.....really have hurt ourselves with the yellow hanky.....

+1. Cost us two td's.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:34 am

We've been complaining about defense for literally a decade. The good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:06 pm

I tend to agree except we haven't gotten the pressure on the QB like we have in the past (or at least as much as I expected). Some of that is the quick release short routes popular in the spread schemes we have see. But some of that is we are playing pretty "vanilla", no stunts or twists.
Horton was a welcomed addition yesterday to the front which again held them to just under 100 yards rushing which was their strength coming into the game. Vaughn has been fairly quiet and Brown very very quiet. Brown looks too heavy to me and not quite as explosive as last year. His knee may be effecting him more than we know.
We will be fine on D. I am much more concerned about our OL which has really dropped off the last 5 or 6 years IMO. I think we need to go back to a tad " smaller"but more athletic guys up front.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Yeah, we didn't get enough pressure. They tried a couple rollouts, but for the most part it looked like it was quick release. I wonder how much we blitzed and what the average protection matchup was ( 5 on 3, 5 on 4, etc)
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Glad to hear the voices of reason regarding the D. Walliver beat me to the point about previous DCs sometimes having poor showings against G-W. Woody lost a 34-point lead in the second half in 2005, though we hung on to win 56-42. In 2014 Fuqua allowed G-W to hang 43 on us in a close loss. YT makes a good point too. Our defensive philosophy, schemes, blitzes, and coverages have barely changed in twenty years. This is Ayers’s system, no matter who is filling the DC's shoes.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:50 pm

youngterrier wrote:We've been complaining about defense for literally a decade. The good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.

Billy Joel. Keeping The Faith. One of my favorite artists and songs :mrgreen: =D>

And it is so very true.

Even when I was attending Wofford back in the D-2 days we have problems with pass defense. It is the style we’ve played for many years at Wofford.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Offensively not too much to complain about. Penalties and turnovers hurt final score. Offensive line had good movement up front and provided some good pockets to throw from. RJ Taylor has to be Mr Clutch making play after play. Kid is playing with a purpose and making some Sunday type catches. Passing game has been a pleasant surprise and will prevent teams from packing the box. Any news on Cleary and Chase on availability? I also like the use of Newman at QB but question when we choose to use him.

Defensively the return of Horton was very welcomed. Clogged run lanes and provided pressure up the middle. In regards to this year's version of Defense, all I saw last year was names like Brown, Datavious, Jo Jo Tillery, Morris, Vaughn, and others on the D front making plays. Last I checked these players are still on roster but seem to have little impact. Dont know if its DC schemes yet or not, but Wood is the only difference. Meanwhile, if you rewatch the first 3 games and look at defensive stats you will see teams are targeting areas of the field and defender weakness. Don't know if we're playing limited playbook because it was GW and not a conference game, but the season STARTS versus WCU and we better get these chings fixed if we want a championship. Every position should be up for grabs and the best man for the job should be up. No matter if you a Senior, Rookie, All American, All Conference, or returning starter.

The kicking game has been a pleasant surprise. Carter has handle all kicking duties. Flipping the field when needed and perfect on extra points and FG'S thus far.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Whew, just got back to the swamp....that was a hot day up there, even by Gator Nation standards. I was down near the sidelines in the first half, and some of those guys looked pretty gassed to me. WOF played well at times and poorly at times. Maybe the opponents are just going after them like gang-busters trying to knock off the favorites, or maybe our D just isn't on the level we think they are. One thing is for sure, when they get to Catty, Chatty, El Cid, and Sammy, those guys are a bad piece of meat, and will want to knock off the Terriers in the worst way. One more "tune-up", then the road gets steeper and rockier.....and the #*&@^ penalties......go Terriers!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Having watched IWF I realize how that game turned on a couple of plays. Had we not given them the scoop and score and gone onto score on that drive and ended the first half it may have been a big win for us. Also, we had two TD's called back and they scored on somewhat of a fluke pass that our defenders wiped each other out. A break here or there and it could have been a big separation in our favor. A tweak here and there by the staff and we may be OK. Also, I would think the defensive folks would like the keep the wraps on our stunts until they are needed in conference play. Our veteran D Line and LB's, along with the DB's may be able to dial up some interesting stuff when we play against the gunslingers.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:14 pm

boulder3m wrote:Having watched IWF I realize how that game turned on a couple of plays. Had we not given them the scoop and score and gone onto score on that drive and ended the first half it may have been a big win for us. Also, we had two TD's called back and they scored on somewhat of a fluke pass that our defenders wiped each other out. A break here or there and it could have been a big separation in our favor. A tweak here and there by the staff and we may be OK. Also, I would think the defensive folks would like the keep the wraps on our stunts until they are needed in conference play. Our veteran D Line and LB's, along with the DB's may be able to dial up some interesting stuff when we play against the gunslingers.

This is basically what I've been trying to say. The only thing I'm concerned about is the lack of pressure we got against Maxwell.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 pm

I agree with Boulder and YT. We were able to get through the last three games without giving too much away (A little too close though). Tunes up maybe, but I tend to look at the bright side.
Peachy Carnahan
Junior Terrier

Postby lawdog on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:38 am

Youtube game summary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QZPW0N0Co8

Mark and Tom did a super job with the ESPN3 broadcast.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyal-T-dog on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:10 am

I, like most, have been disappointed in our overall play but I certainly do not hold the dismal view like some.
Defense has played decent. Strong at times but trying to understand why we're not aggressive as the 2nd half of last year (hope it will come).
Coach Wood is intelligent and has Ayers to lean on so we will continue to move toward being the defense we can be.
I like the passing game that is developing but please run the option more! #8 needs more playing time!
For the love of all things holy....get creative in the run game play calling.

I really like the fact that we have struggled at the beginning of the season realizing our "poop does stink" because the preseason picks could've got to our egos.
It is a huge plus to have the experience and ability to find a way to win when needed than to lose close games like we have in past years.
I would much rather be 3-0 with 2 conference wins while playing less than our capability than playing much better with a loss or more.
Just keep improving Terriers!
Loyal-T-dog
Junior Terrier

Previous

Return to Football