GW game thread

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: GW game thread

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:34 pm

The option is so much better with Newman, but Goodson is throwing the ball well. Agreed that any decent QB can pick apart our defense if we fall back into the zone and give them 10 yds. This team, and last year's team for that matter, seem content to do just enough to win.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:39 pm

That was difficult to watch. We are mediocre at best right now. We continue to make these kinds of mistakes and play half-assed, it will catch up with us and we will lose some games. I don't understand it either.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby CarolinaDog on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:06 pm

We need a change at DC.
"Well done is better than well said." ~Benjamin Franklin
CarolinaDog
Terrier Pup

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:19 pm

3-0.......and trust in #19........

Plenty to work on and offense will be helped by getting Roo back if and when that becomes an option.
Defensive Coordinator is getting baptised early on in our schedule, we surely miss Fuqua IMO at this point on that side of the ball. Looking for that to improve as the season continues but that needs to be on an accelerated timeline. We have some offenses that can and will flat light us up without remorse if we do not make the needed adjustments. When and where to bring pressure are key...we are not built as a sit and react defense. WE need to think attack, attack, and more attack.....

Also need to kill the penalties.....really have hurt ourselves with the yellow hanky.....
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:26 pm

We have two weeks to get right on defense. We get PC next week so (knock on wood) we should be okay. But then we have WCU coming in. They will, as 19 said, light us up without remorse, if things are not tighened up with the pass D.

BTW great TD grab by your son today 19!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:47 pm

2 of the best receptions I have ever seen #19. Unbelievable.
So disappointed the TD run was called back.
Glad we won. Almost didn't. AgaIn.
D.C. Needs some serious help. Big issue there IMO.
Need #8 running the option. Goodson threw some nice balls.
Should have blown their butts out. I fear this little streak we are on will come to sad end in short order once we hit conference play again in 2 weeks if something doesn't change.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Am I the only one who thinks our defense played well?

They only allowed 99 yards rushing, 17 points, about 270 yards total and made a stand when they needed to. They had a great QB (he was offensive POY for the Big South for a reason). Not to mention one of their TDs came off a short field when our players ran into each other. I understand how demoralizing it can be to see teams pass and convert on third downs, but that's a common team every team faces. Having said that, they passed for less than 200 yards.

The difference in this game was stupid mistakes on offense. Those two turnovers were the difference between a 34-17 (or worse) kind of game. Gardner Webb has been our buggaboo of late, and if you go back under their current coach they play Socon teams competitive (only lost by 7 last year to Citadel, for instance). Having said that, we showed steady improvement on offense in spite of the mistakes. This was the second week in a row we had over 350 yards of offense. We have a viable pass game (and one of the incompletions called was not an incompletion, those Big South refs called a terrible game on both sides)

If we're going to point to one thing that could have been improved but wasn't, it's (no surprise coming from me) the offensive playcalling. Admittedly, it was better than last week and our execution made the playcalling look even better. But the drive that started inside our own 10 was all on the coaches. Calling a pass play on second down when we're up two scores and need the clock to run was dumb. Coming out in a unique I formation when we're doing just fine from the wingbone is dumb. We tried again to be cuter than we needed to be and it caused problems. The final score and tension at the end of the game didn't do justice to how well we played.

Newman played well, he just makes the kind of mistakes a true sophomore makes. Goodson is rightfully the #1 guy right now. I'm concerned about potential fumble problems, but it could just be a blip. I think the team got a little too content up 10 and that was a big contributor to the comeback. We need to play a full game.

Meanwhile in the Socon, Mercer again blew a fourth quarter lead, Chatt smacked VMI and Furman smacked Colgate. So far Elon is beating ranked Richmond which makes Furman look better. Western is beating Samford in a rain delay in the fourth. The Socon is gonna be competitive no matter what. We can't expect to blow out anyone. I don't expect us to score more than 35 points no matter who we play, just based upon the style we play. Either way, I see evidence of clear, steady improvement. Obviously, we aren't great right now. We're definitely at "bubble level" of good, not "conference champ"
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:22 pm

A very nice day at Gibbs. Game should’ve been a blow out as noted above
Last edited by Hobo on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:34 pm

!. GWU has talent, size, and experience ... some impressive athletes. They are a good team ... much better than in their opener. Our O gave up the momentum to them at a crucial time, which was a huge boost for them in the game. Watch for them now to win a few.
2. The returned pitch should have been handled by our RB. At the least, the RB should have kept his feet and made the tackle. Why was he even in the game, which he not often is, when we had just put a new QB in the game?
3. Newman should have started the second half. He had great momentum and had GW confused and on the run, and his foot speed and elusiveness are much superior. He can pass some too.
4. No Way you can blame any of this on the D. They played very well. Our tackling was generally good. Horton was a beast. Maxwell and some of his support guys are good. The O put the D behind the 8 ball and the D saved their butts.
5. RJT was excellent. Great hands and athleticism.
6. Stoddard keeps getting better and looks like he is becoming a real factor. Suggs looks good ... really helped a lot on such a hot day, without Chase Nelson being available.
Last edited by lawdog on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:49 pm

If I am not mistaken, the only time we got any yardage from our RB's on the outside was when Newman was at QB. At least they need to play him more regularly and make the defense honor the outside. Why not substitute the QB's during series rather than at the beginning of drives. Keep the D guessing at least. I know they can recognize it, but both of our QB's can run or throw.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:55 pm

The way I see it (and I guess the coaches see it), Joe Newman is high risk, high reward, but Goodson is consistent and "the guy"
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:45 pm

Newman had GW on their heels, and we took him out.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:35 pm

he also scored them a touchdown. It cuts both ways.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby CarolinaDog on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:45 am

DC - again need a change here. We need a defensive minded coach. Have been spoiled by Woody and Fuqua in the past. Need a hard nosed mindset and "black shirt" mentality. Wasting too much talent on that side of the ball.
"Well done is better than well said." ~Benjamin Franklin
CarolinaDog
Terrier Pup

Postby Ruckus on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:56 am

No way, no how is the fumble attributable to Newman in any way. Poor pitch relationship by RB and very catchable pitch with poor effort to recover.
Believe me, if the coaches thought Newman was responsible he would not been allowed back in on next series. Newman was in; RB was not.
Newman needs to play more. Changes the whole dynamic of our option; his speed and quicks putts so much pressure on D.
That said, Goodson led us to another W and threw the ball so well.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football