GW game thread

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

GW game thread

Postby mudrat43 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Looking at GW's stats from their 1st two games....not very pretty for them. About 154yds total offense avg per game. 4 to 1 rush to pass ratio on offense. Punting was pretty decent at about 43yds per. All in all, not much offense to speak of. Gave up a lot of yardage on defense to both NC A&T and Wyoming. As I recall, we lost a couple of games up there a few years back. Any thoughts on how WOF coaching staff will approach this game?
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Re: GW game thread

Postby youngterrier on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:16 pm

they have to call the game to win, not call the game to be fancy. We'll have a better idea of how good they are after their game with Western tomorrow.

I think there's no excuse for us to lose this one. We have to have the right mindset and I think we're a better team and have the best matchups to win.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:03 pm

I watched GW play NC a&t on youtube. NC a&t actually believe it or not have a good team. so just because GW lost by a lot to them does not mean GW will be a pushover although we should win the game. But at the same time we cannot take them lightly. We have to play well. From watching them on youtube they appear to have a decent D against the run but poor against the pass. However we should still be able to move the ball on them. And their O IMHO is their problem and mostly because of their OL which was almost nonexistent against a&t. So Vaughan, Horton, M. Brown and company should dominate their OL. Their QB is a good scrambler though so he could be a problem. So if the Terriers stop their running game and pressure the QB and if the Terriers on O control the LOS then we should get a W. And that is assuming we don't have any crucial turnovers. In short we have to play Wofford football with no TOs, grind it out in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Also an interesting note - it appears that the Western - GW game today will be shown on the BigSouth network. good game to watch since we play both teams
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:26 am

Catamounts in a route... Next two weeks puts us doing a lot of fine tuning getting ready for the push in conference... Should have some momentum going.
SmallTownTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:52 am

GW has always been really strong in front 7. I assume this won't change.
They also have been long and athletic on both sides.
Their QB this year appears to be big and fast (6'2 220). They rushed for 225 and threwfor anther 135 so decent showing v WCU. Apparently couldn't stop them though.
This will be another challenge. I would like for us to keep fine tuning and raising our level of execution of what we do best. We need to do what we do better and more consistently. Everything else opens up from there.
D needs to come to play to shut down their QB run game.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:38 pm

I don't like any prediction that has us scoring more than 31 or 34 in pretty much any context. That's not the kind of game we want to play.

Having said that, GW's strengths on offense put them on a collision course with our defensive strengths. I like our defense in that matchup.

If we can keep them below 2 scores, that's a good game for us. I think we win 28-17.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:43 pm

I like that score YT, but I think we hold them to less than two TD's. Special teams play should be on the plate for some improvement, and if the defense ( that we all think we have) shows up, I see no problems. But, WOF has to get the hype out of their collective heads and play up-tempo, smash mouth football from the get-go.....go Terriers!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Game notes http://athletics.wofford.edu/documents/ ... tes_17.pdf

Media lunch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZegwRumXNEU

Jeresaty starting and not Roo ? I thought Roo was supposed to be back. Maybe they are going to alternate them since this will be Roo's first game. Graduallly get him back into it. And it seems that Jeresaty has done well in the first two games so maybe he will start.

Basinger ahead of Duffy ? Interesting. Hopefully they are pushing each other so that both become better.

Horton starting ? If I remember correctly the Mercer notes said he was starting but he did not.

Lemon is not behind Gbesee. Paschal instead. Hope Lemon is ok and Paschal has simply done well enough to move into the 2 deep

This will not be an easy game. GW was down 35 - 20 and driving but turned it over. They stopped themselves IMHO. If their QB decides to run with it he could pose a problem. Terriers should get a W but will have to play well.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Horton's suspension was only 2 games.

I hope Vaughn is back and at 100%. Did we hear what was wrong with him in the first place?
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:24 pm

As for Vaughan the GW injury update said 'there were no significant injuries' against Mercer. I think Henson said when he went out it looked like a cramp and then later he was on his back on the sideline but cheering as much as he could. Anything more on my part would be wild guessing
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Personally I think the changes in the secondary are from film on last 2 games. Lemon did a good job vs Mercer/Furman and stopped the bleeding when Watson got benched. The Mercer WR was like 5 catches for 60+ yards and 2 TD's in the first quarter. Lemon played 2nd and majority of 3rd qtr gave up 1 reception. I like others are Sunday morning QB's but even a blind man saw Mercer found a chink in the armor. There were 3 Mercer drops and the 1 completed bomb over the safeties coverage. Either there were blown coverages or Mercer WR's just ran pass our athletes. I would like to see what Devin would do at a SS especially with his athleticism and knack for being in the right place at right time to make plays. Also would like more mix of press/zone coverage and nickel personnel. Have to give our DL and LB's time to make plays...cant get sacks or pressures on 1 and 3 step drops. Getting a healthy Vaughn and a well rested Horton back should solidify the DL

Offensively our offensive line has been the star of the show. Our OL should be able to wear down GW's D-Line with the plethora of quality RB's we have. Goodson has proven that this is his team and he is throwing a nice ball. RJ has been big play for 2 games now converting on 3rd and long a few times. Simple curls, slants, and screens are nice additions to the offense. As for the RB's what can I say. McAfee and Morgan are play makers. Either one is a step away from housing it.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Shorthair13 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:28 pm

A blind man and a chink in the Armor might be
a little much!!
Shorthair13
Terrier Pup

Postby youngterrier on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:47 am

The secondary definitely had trouble with the turf on Saturday, but they were able to adjust. From an athleticism standpoint, I don't think we've ever been better. Like all defensive pass coverage schemes, our success is dependent on our ability to get pressure on the QB, hurrying throws.

A lot of times people think having a good secondary means running stride for stride and route for route in press coverage and that's not true. Wide receiver have an advantage when it comes to knowing where they are going before the defender does and the leverage to get there. Pass-happy teams like Samford implement those insights into their strategy.

For a while, our pass coverage has been annoying to watch because of its emphasis on zone and the huge cushion we give teams on third and short, but when it comes to the downfield stuff (beyond the typical problems with zone) we're no worse than any other team.

If we were to change anything, I would change the scheme, but when it comes to players being in the right place at the right time and having the ability to make a play, we're fine. That's not to say we're perfect, but no team is.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:11 am

Furman exploited it too. We have a week off and hopefully we get it corrected. Because ETSU, WCU, Chatt, and Samford sling it around quite a bit. Albeit giving up 400+ yards passing in two games is not bad, but the drops vs FU & MU, it could have been considerably more. The "blind man" statement was in reference to going back and watching the games. You will see both opponents came out with the same game plan. In all fairness it was only the first two games and the players and coaches are not in mid season form.

Just my preference but I don't like giving any Division 1 WR a free release from scrimmage to run any and every route uncontested. And I am not saying pressman every down but at least mix it up and disguise coverages
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Retiredterrier wrote:I watched GW play NC a&t on youtube. NC a&t actually believe it or not have a good team. so just because GW lost by a lot to them does not mean GW will be a pushover although we should win the game. But at the same time we cannot take them lightly. We have to play well. From watching them on youtube they appear to have a decent D against the run but poor against the pass. However we should still be able to move the ball on them. And their O IMHO is their problem and mostly because of their OL which was almost nonexistent against a&t. So Vaughan, Horton, M. Brown and company should dominate their OL. Their QB is a good scrambler though so he could be a problem. So if the Terriers stop their running game and pressure the QB and if the Terriers on O control the LOS then we should get a W. And that is assuming we don't have any crucial turnovers. In short we have to play Wofford football with no TOs, grind it out in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Also an interesting note - it appears that the Western - GW game today will be shown on the BigSouth network. good game to watch since we play both teams

NC A & T has a talented and well coached team this year. Ranked 15th in FCS and at least that good. They beat UNCC this weekend; game not as close as final score.

Agree with Ruck and RT ... two things to watch out for: 1, GW's D is much better against the run than the pass (always is), and 2, the GW QB is very experienced and dangerous/quick. We had better play alert and well. Don't forget that 3-0 loss in a rainstorm 3-4 years ago, where we demonstrated zero ability to be creative several times on the goal line. Cannot waste opportunities.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football