Mercer game thread

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Mercer game thread

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Henson and Hauser hit on something interesting during the second half. Our best teams have come when the QB is a premier running threat. So far we have appeared to be trying to get the other runners involved. Of course, we have played against two teams who defend the TO very well, and hit the QB every play. The next two games we should have the ability to use the playbook and see what some guys can do when under the gun.
I am right in tune with YT. The kids seem to have the maturity to keep calm and get the job done. The frustration comes from knowing that we probably should have come out and smashed both teams in the mouth and won handily. However, we forget that is not how the Wofford plan works. We pound and pound and pound with moderate success until we have pounded the other team into submission-which generally comes in the fourth quarter.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:33 pm

looking at the ESPN3 replay, and I must say the fourth and 1 from the 2 play that scored the last touchdown SHOULD HAVE BEEN the play we called on the goal line before on fourth and goal
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:47 pm

any update on tyler Vaughn? Heard he had a back injury
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:13 am

Their RFR QB played like one... Too much hype on him... Not seasoned enough
SmallTownTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:27 am

I'm happy as hell with my team. Haven't played a full game yet. Yet, still here we are 2-0 in the socon and with a BYE week.....and 2 non con opponents to tune some things up and get all our boys on the field as Mikel Horton and Dorian Lindsay return to the lineups........

I like our spot. And I feel we are in POSITION A in the conference race. We have plenty of game film to really get better on both sides of the ball......
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:10 am

...and we get Roo back.
Anybody know anything about Billy Hinton? He hasn't played this season that I have seen and I don't think he has dressed.
Hope Vaughn is ok. We need him. I have been impressed with Brandon Curtis though. He has stepped up his game.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:23 am

Yes Ruck.....great catch, I meant to have Roo in their As well. Major key to our inside running game.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 am

boulder3m wrote:Henson and Hauser hit on something interesting during the second half. Our best teams have come when the QB is a premier running threat. So far we have appeared to be trying to get the other runners involved. Of course, we have played against two teams who defend the TO very well, and hit the QB every play. The next two games we should have the ability to use the playbook and see what some guys can do when under the gun.
I am right in tune with YT. The kids seem to have the maturity to keep calm and get the job done. The frustration comes from knowing that we probably should have come out and smashed both teams in the mouth and won handily. However, we forget that is not how the Wofford plan works. We pound and pound and pound with moderate success until we have pounded the other team into submission-which generally comes in the fourth quarter.

Actually our best teams came when we ran a Britenstien up the middle.
As for QB's, our best teams often correspond to QB's who have a feel for the option. Successful QB runners require good blocking and successful perimeter running. If those two things don't exist, the QB will be keyed on every play. So far we have run very few counters and reverses, and teams can over pursue at will.
Successful QB rushing is usually a symptom of a well-running offense, not the cause - although we have historically had a few QB's who never really had a "feel" for the option and almost always pitched the ball.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:13 pm

I will say, our pitch game is a lot better than it was a couple years ago
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football