Wofford Media

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Wofford Media

Postby boulder3m on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 am

I was looking for a place to post this and finally decided to make a new Thread. I live in Winston-Salem, and our local newspaper is long gone. It has been sold a couple of times and we no longer have a LOCAL newspaper. We have a cookie cutter national paper with a few local things included, owned by a conglomerate which cares nothing about Winston-Salem. Much of the local sports scene is not covered, and others are covered by part timers and writers working for more than one paper. My point is this: Wofford is so fortunate to have the coverage we do and the pros doing the work. Todd Shanesy is not just a good writer-he is a great writer. I know he has other areas to cover and not just Wofford, but we get tremendous sports coverage. Both his articles and his blog are in depth and thorough. In a world where sports reporting is going away and "national" sports reporting has become oftentimes confused with political reporting, we are so fortunate to have Todd covering Wofford.
Now let's go to the on air guys! Mark Hauser is a true pro, and how he is stuck at Wofford is a mystery to me! Thom Henson is our home grown guy and he has become a wonderful color guy. Their work as our on air guys is very well done, but they had to cross over on Saturday night and do the ESPN 3 telecast as well. They did a fine job of trying to fairly represent both sides while maintaining their positions of representing Wofford. And by the way, Van Hipp does his job on the sidelines without trying to get in the way. Something rare in media! Now, if we could just get his son to come pitch for Wofford...
We have given awards and accolades to these guys, and they were deserved. It just bears saying again and again.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: Wofford Media

Postby walliver on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:36 am

Howser, Shanesy, and Hennesy do great jobs. =D>

As I was driving on East Main Street this weekend.

It's sort of a shame we aren't over the air anymore, but streaming reaches the entire planet.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:52 am

Totally agree about Howser, Henson and Shanesy. We are extremely fortunate to have them all covering the Terriers. As a local, I really wish Wofford would team up with the local sports radio station FoxSports 1400. Howser even does an afternoon sports talk show on the station. Not sure exactly why but apparently we have opted for the digital medium and are not on the station. Instead, they are forced to cover PC football!!! I realize we can easily listen to our guys on digital media but it is really convenient to just turn on the old radio and hear our guys. Particular for older folks who love to tune in but don't because they just don't access the digital stuff (my parents). I think we're missing out in that regard. I guess we can't have everything. Anyway, keep up the great work Mark, Thom and Todd and thank you for your great coverage! And Van too of course. Y'all are the best!
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:19 pm

So true
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:20 pm

We're living in a weird time in which distribution and production is easy. The pivot to digital is smart for Wofford, given our audience.

The paradox in all of this is balancing the ability to distribute and produce content (games) and still make enough money off of the venture to pay staff.

In a way, local sports and local news is always at the whims of the community. From a business perspective, Wofford sports is never going to be a national brand.

The best way to ensure the quality of the product is to subscribe to your local newspaper. Hats off to the administration at Wofford, I'm fairly certain we use our own equipment to shoot games (using student athlete labor), so in an apocalyptic event (not likely) we could produce our own content and distribute it on youtube or through a pay wall if need be. They experimented with it last year with a Basketball game.

Bottom line, we have some good people working for Wofford Sports Information. We punch above our weight.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby BearDownMU on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Mercer has taken a very interesting and progressive approach to this, which I really like.

We started a journalism school a few years ago, with a focus on digital. We built this nice big building to house the school. Then, we went to the Macon Telegraph and Georgia Public Broadcasting and offered them space in the building for a joint newsroom to produce newspaper, radio, and their digital content (at extremely low rent and cost) with the caveat that students in the journalism program have access to the properties and their operations, production, internships, etc.

Then Mercer purchased a local Macon television station, that still broadcasts traditionally through cable providers, but also provides an area for students to work and learn traditional broadcasting.

When the ESPN3 opportunity came along to broadcast sports, the existing professional staff at the television station, augmented by students, are able to fully produce all the sports broadcasts completely in house, without assuming massive costs.

It's a great model and really a win-win for everyone involved.
Some days you eat the Bear, some days the Bear eats you!
BearDownMU
Junior Terrier

Postby boulder3m on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:53 pm

boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Found out that Lenny Mathis has left Wofford for Wake Forest in the last couple of weeks. Great move for Lenny, but we will miss him. Not sure what his title was, but his jobs included all of our media and game day experience.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football