Mercer (Week 2)

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Mercer (Week 2)

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:05 pm

Ruckus wrote:Other than being private, we really don't have that much in common with Mercer as an institution...

You are right in their broader offerings compared to Wofford, but they do consider us a peer academically. My son (a senior this year) toured Mercer last fall and not three minutes into the opening presentation the admissions person referred to Mercer as a school comparable academically to Furman, Wofford and Samford. They were not referring to athletics so it wasn't part of a listing of schools in the SoCon. Maybe they were just framing where they fit within the spectrum of college options in the Southeast, but I got a strong vibe that they were seeking to be discussed along with those schools (which is both a compliment and a bit of respect).

From touring a bunch of schools (11, I believe) through this process, I will say that Mercer's marketing is first rate and I believe that is why they have such excellent alumni and community engagement. Wofford would be well served to learn from what Mercer has been able to put together as we could certainly benefit from the level of local support they have developed in a short period of time.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:41 am

Mercer is a real solid program on the rise. They aren't going to sneak up on us. We already know that they are tough out. Bobby Lanb is very familiar with us and we know that. But at the end of the day, I love our ability to defend the running game, make teams try and beat us 1 dimensional while having to deal with our ball control offense. Plain and simple we have a winning formula and are one of the best at executing it.

We fully expect to go into the lions den (Bear Den) in this instance, and go to battle and come away with at least 1 more play and a W.

I really am loving the opportunity we have to get to 2-0 in the conference just 2 games into the conference schedule. Puts Wofford in the catbird seat if we can go handle our business on the road in a tough environment. I like our ability to handle the pressure of the moment, we won't blink, and have seen it all.

I expect another tough game.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:13 am

Looking at the game last year, it appears that we had decent control of the game for most of it, leading by as much as 17 at times. They were able to have success when they ran the hurry up, but that's not what they wanted to do. They wanted to grind it, etc. Our special teams made some plays (blocked punt for a TD) and their made some mistakes (missed FG, botched snap on a punt).

The paradox of our offense is that if we score fast or a lot, opponents feel pressed to pick up their pace and throw more, which I would say we are weaker to defend (but so is everyone).

So, in some ways a slightly anemic offense plays to our advantage because teams have less of a sense of urgency. They grind the ball out, work clock, etc. This happened with Furman last week IMO. They had us beat, up 17-10 with the ball, so the opted to grind instead of pass and we were able to stop them.

I'll be interested to see how special teams work for both teams. Also, if our offense is marginally improved over last year, I think we'll be able to tell
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:48 am

Their D.C. Really schemed us last year, stacking the box and stunting. It's the same formula several teams have tried with some relative success. But it is high risk/reward. Guess wrong and we take it to the house. I expect much of the same this week.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BearDownMU on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:52 am

Last year's game was frustrating. We just couldn't do anything on the ground, thanks to y'alls really, really talented front 7. I imagine we will see a similar level of nasty this year. That being said, at that point in the last season, the lion's share of our rush attempts came from our QB, a 5'7'', 170lb senior (who was a great football player and played his heart out, but did come in with the first class of non-scholarships) and a converted at the beginning of the year to RB from LB because everyone got hurt. Wasn't exactly ideal. This year, we have a former league rushing champion back at full health, a 1,000 yard rusher from two years ago who didn't play last year, and our Georgia Tech transfer (plus a couple of freshmen I think are going to be pretty good). Now, the Oline is completely different and I think that group is still "gel-ing" as a unit, but they looked pretty good last week. It may not matter with Wofford's run D being so good, but I'm hopeful we aren't spinning our wheels at quite the level of frustration we were last year. And I also really hope our QB doesn't have to throw it 45 times like we did last year either. But, if we do, I think our WR/TE group easily the most talented unit we have. Multiple All-Conference type players in that group (Ward, Irvin, Walker, Curtis). I have no idea what CBL is going to do, but if we throw it a lot, I really like that group. Just a matter of the R-Fr. QB executing in his first really big test.

As far as the other side of the ball, you guys ran for 205 against us, which was easily the lowest production of any SoCon games you played last year, and well below you 280 yards per game average. I felt like, generally, we defended the run, particularly option sets, pretty well last year. Again, means very little for this year, but if you told me today I could take holding you guys to 205 on the ground this weekend, I'd probably jump all over it.

All that being said, I think it's setting up to be a dog fight.

If any of you are planning on coming to Macon and need any info/tips etc., about the campus/stadium, please let me know.
Some days you eat the Bear, some days the Bear eats you!
BearDownMU
Junior Terrier

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Let me be proactive - Here's your 1st tip for this Saturday - https://growlerusa.com/craft-beer-pubs/ga-macon/

100 AWESOME craft beers on tap RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE STADIUM....No, I don't own it, but I wish I did!
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:32 pm

That's the type of proactivity we like to see 'round here
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:46 pm

I am very pro-proactivity, particularly regarding establishments which serve spirits.
Now, if I may beg a recommendation for good local BBQ from someone in the know.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:51 pm

Pocket passer or sprint out passer, makes no difference. Mercer has to beat WOF with the pass or it won't happen. Da Bears will try to do the same as FU did; throw underneath the zone. That works pretty well till they get into the red zone (not as much dirt to cover). Then they gotta get nasty and go at 'em on the ground and that's where WOF excels. On the other hand, WOF has to execute the option, throw the ball when necessary, cut down on those *&%$# penalties......and that's a lot.....go Terriers!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby BearDownMU on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Fresh Air BBQ (opened 1929) or Fincher's BBQ (Opened 1935)
Some days you eat the Bear, some days the Bear eats you!
BearDownMU
Junior Terrier

Postby BigJohn94 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Has anyone heard any news that the game may be postponed because of Irma?
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:40 am

No, nothing yet & I would be very surprised if the game does not kickoff as scheduled.

But all hotels in Macon are booked & Mercer Football is already reaching out via social media & inviting evacuees to become Bears' Fans for the day & attend the game. I suspect they will do something like offer Free Admission, Free Orange T-Shirts, Free waters/soft drinks for Families with a licensed FL driver or something similar.

It's rare when Mercer misses an opportunity for outreach, to help people in the area, to create goodwill for the University, and to realize positive synergies that can be created from situations that many see only as 'problems.' This is the primary reason I have become such a FAN of Mercer University since my family had the opportunity to associate with the school 5.5 years ago. It's more than the Football. We'll see what they do...

ALSO - Traffic is expected to be extremely heavy, especially northbound on the interstates, but with the influx of people into middle Georgia, there could create problems everywhere. If you're coming, arrive early, expect delays, and don't let your gas tanks get below 1/2 full.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby boulder3m on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:27 am

Pretty clever to reach out to the evacuees. I also saw that Atlanta Speedway is open to campers. I would think that area of Ga would be a pretty good place to hide from the storm. So far everything I have seen from Mercer indicates they are a good new member of the SoCon. There are a couple of others that remain in question!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:37 am

Irma isn't supposed to reach Florida until Saturday, so I would imagine the game should be in the clear. If anything, they would move it up to a noon kickoff so they could get it over with earlier
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:23 am

As expected...

http://mercerbears.com/news/2017/9/7/mercer-welcomes-hurricane-irma-evacuees-to-football-game.aspx

Just need to get 'em some Orange T-Shirts, teach 'em how to #RoarTogether...and to hate LittleDogs from SparkleCity :)

EDIT...

Also...

Mercer is putting together a Tailgate Tent for these folks as well. Coca-Cola, NuWay, and other local restaurants are providing the food and drinks.

The Parents & Families of Current/Former Players AND Former Players themselves will be the friendly and orange-wearing people serving as hosts at the Tailgate Tent, which will be on Black Field from 12-3.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Football