FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Mercer (Week 2)

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:45 pm

So, what's the scouting report?

I think we win, but that's about it.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: Mercer (Week 2)

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Mercer has quietly (to us at least) built a real following in Macon. They are the only game in town and the businesses and people have really turned out to support them. They show up for the games and make noise. In addition, they recruit in a virtual hotbead of talent. I have been nothing but impressed with how they have built a program from scratch. They have beaten some good programs and come close. I would expect nothing but a tough game from them in every way. I have said before that Wofford, Furman, Samford and Mercer will be the backbone of the Southern Conference in football and in many ways.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:48 am

More of the same... Mercer gave up 146 years to Jacksonville on the ground... We should be able to move the ball... They passed for 220... We will have to do a better job of putting them in some second and longs... Didn't happen much against Barney... I assume Horton is still out? I would think with him, we instantly get back to being what we saw last year, particularly late in the season.
SmallTownTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:34 am

This will be even tougher than FU because of higher talent level. The coaching staff REALLY wants a win v. us for a variety of reasons (respect for Ayers and program, knock off preseason SoCon pick, haven't beat us yet despite close games, and quite frankly they feel they are at least as good if not better). It will be a slug fest. Physical game. Our DBs have to do a better job although we should get some opportunities for pressure in the pocket. We must get better this week to have a chance. They put 9 in the box last year and had some success against the run (which is why we hit the Gouger big pass play). While one player should not make a difference, losing Horton for second straight week is a detriment to our success.
Every week in the conference is a struggle. Mercer and Sammy are the 2 teams that I think are underrated this year. I see this game as a toss up. The good news is we have a good idea of what they will do, unlike last week.
Last edited by Ruckus on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:58 am

Mercer and Furman are the two teams I hate playing because I know that no matter the outcome it's going to be close
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:03 pm

WOF cannot afford to let Mercer get out ahead early. They need ball control. I believe the Mercer QB is more of a pocket passer also. I also believe the FU coaching staff thought that their team got a little bit tired near the end and that is why they went for the 2 point conversion. Knowing they couldn't stop the WOF running game in overtime. The Terriers absolutely must get some good pressure on the QB to slow down that passing attack of Mercer's. WOF knows what they do, and they know what WOF does, so I'm betting the SHD's put on a much better defensive effort and take a toughie........24-14!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:20 pm

I believe the Mercer QB is more of a pocket passer also.

Mercer's "pocket passer" led the Team in rushing last Thurs. night. He had more rushing attempts (10), more yards gained rushing (63), and more TD's rushing (2) in 3 quarters of play than Wofford's 2 QB's had in 4 (6/25/0) quarters Saturday. Also, he had more than Furman's QB (8/17/1). I recognize the difference in competition level, but that's really mostly irrelevant to the style of an offense or a player...which is my point.

I don't think we'll see Mercer's QB have 41 carries as John Russ did against Samford last year, but the Mercer Offense, to me, seemed unchanged from prior years, which has always included the QB running the ball, roll-out passes, and moving the 'pocket.' It previously had to so as to get the QB some throwing lanes because Russ was 5-11, maybe 6-0. Riley is 6-3, maybe 6-4 and moves well. He CAN sit in the pocket & see the field with his height, but I would be very surprised to see him be a 'statue' back there waiting for those 320lb Terriers to come get him.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm

And coming to get him they will be doing........
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Hey - Watch out 19. You're going to get in trouble for revealing Woffy's secret strategies on a message board.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Lol. I know right........I let the cat outta the bag.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Although missing big Mikel Horton in the middle for another game certainly hurts us. Excited for his return.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Game notes http://athletics.wofford.edu/documents/ ... tes_17.pdf

Interesting that the game notes show Horton as starting. But didn't Hauser or Henson say that he would be out for two games ? Now I am confused although hopeful that he does play. Although if he should be held out for this game because of a rule that he broke then don't let him play. Simple as that. Breaking rules should be dealt with accordingly. I am positive that the FU notes had someone else starting although now I don't remember.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Ruckus wrote:The coaching staff REALLY wants a win v. us for a variety of reasons (respect for Ayers and program, knock off preseason SoCon pick, haven't beat us yet despite close games, and quite frankly they feel they are at least as good if not better).

Mercer rightfully does want this game very badly. They are a program on the rise that is looking for a signature win which this game would provide. They also see Wofford as a benchmark because of our success in a similar situation to theirs. Some of it probably comes personally from Bobby Lamb. Academically, they see Wofford as a contemporary, too, so that probably plays a part, as well. Like Furman last week, Mercer will be coming loaded for Terrier and Wofford better be ready.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Everybody is coming for us.
Other than being private, we really don't have that much in common with Mercer as an institution: it's much bigger with 2 campuses, is not strictly liberal arts, and has grad programs, med school, pharmacy school, and law school.
Program on the rise though, in a football-crazed state full of talent. And great alumni and community support.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BearDownMU on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Should be a fun game.

Regarding, "Jacksonville had 146 yards rushing, we should be able to run the ball," I don't know if total game stats paint the proper picture. We scored making it 41-0 with 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and Coach basically cleared the bench. Prior to most all of the 2 deep coming off the field, JU had rushed for 71 yards on 29 carries. It's even more stout of you only look at the first half, when the majority of starters on D in the game for us, with JU averaging less than 2 yards per carry.

That being said, it's means diddly squat when it comes to defending the Wofford offense. Talent, offensive scheme, level of execution are all much higher for you guys and you might go rush for 300 against us. Just pointing out that I don't know if wholesale numbers from last weeks game are very indicative of how our primary defenders played against the run.

Also, Mercer has graduate programs in Business, Engineering, Education, Theology, and Nursing along with the 3 listed above. :)

See you all in Macon!
Some days you eat the Bear, some days the Bear eats you!
BearDownMU
Junior Terrier

Next

Return to Football