Furman Week

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Furman Week

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:13 pm

GoldandBlack wrote:I'll take an ugly and sloppy opening win any day of the week, especially in-conference.

I think Furman will surprise a couple of teams this year.

Now it's time to work on mental discipline (penalties) and execution (fumble, interception).

True. There is more than one way to look at it. We brought our "C" game and still won against a Furman team that might turn out to be pretty good after all. We will have much better days. We'll be fine.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Good win you guys. Nice to get a W

We might have some good new coaches at FU, ? We are just switching to a 3-4 from 4-3. Don't have those players yet. New Head Coach. New DC. 6 of our 10 OL Are freshman! Only 8 returning starters. Eight.

Like this board but think the comment made upthread that we had 8'months to prep for Wofford is way off. We have been trying to learn our own new system this fall. We had way too much to learn (and still do) to spend extra time on Wofford.

Really excited for FU future. We were picked to finish 7th in conference. I see us about 5th at least. Not enough depth/guys for much beyond that this year. But I think by the end if this year or next the conference will know we are coming/basically back.

All that said, good job by you guys. Nice scouting of that last play. Great win'!!!! You had the 4th Q w your depth.

We don't have the players/seniority experience with it yet. I.E. if you guys have a new starter (sophomore?) he has at least been in Wofford system for a year or two. Our guys have only been at this for weeks/months, even the upperclassmen

Thoughts on Furman. Our new O? Coaching? Of course that's first game as head coach and players. You guys know football. Would like to hear your thoughts.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:55 pm

Just arrived back home. Tough opener, but somehow found a way to win. Great play by FU to try to win. Great job by our guys to recognize it. When the sun comes up tomorrow just think-their folks have to wake up to the realization that they somehow are affiliated with Furman.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:01 am

I was very impressed with Furman. That offense was balanced and diverse. The line protected the QB well, as Wofford couldn't seem to get much pressure, and Furman was just quite good.

Same time, Wofford made some plays when needed. The defense played pretty well for the most of the second half. The offense got to rolling in the fourth quarter.

It was not an easy win, by any stretch. But I think the T-dogs might be OK.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:56 am

Did I watch the same game as everyone else? Let's not forget that we only beat Furman last year by a touchdown...we also made many more mistakes in that game than this one. Give credit where credit is due: Furman is a good team with a good coach and a winning attitude.

Brandon Goodson played his best game as a Terrier and put to rest any speculation that he is the starter (though I support putting Newman in on the third possession or when we want to score quick in a low pressure situation). I thought our coaches tried to be too cute at times and it threw off our offensive momentum. I'm proud of the effort the team exerted. We had the misfortune of playing a new Furman team with 0 film of them doing it and with even less understanding of their propensities. That's no small feat.

Bottom line: it wasn't pretty, but when have we ever won consistently pretty, against Furman no less?

It's entirely possible that we got cocky, but looking at everything else I don't see it. Whenever we knew what was coming, we generally stopped it. That's a lot easier to accomplish when you know the propensities and personnel of the other team. We didn't.

Maybe Furman won't make the playoffs...I think they'll get a winning record at the least and be competitive with everyone they play
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:59 am

gofurman wrote:Would like to hear your thoughts.

Like everyone, I recognize that Wofford didn't play their best and was lucky to come out with a win. Some of that was self inflicted, but a lot of it was due to Furman's coaching staff. They had their guys ready to play and had a package put together for this game that limited Wofford's strengths. Honestly, it was like watching Wofford play Wofford in a lot of ways. I think it will be an up and down year for Furman with a lot of growth going forward, but I think they are headed in the right direction. In two years time they will be very formidable.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:03 am

youngterrier wrote:Brandon Goodson played his best game as a Terrier...

I totally agree with this. Last season he had times where he was an effective manager of the offense, but tonight he ran the offense. Brandon has grown a lot as a player and is now reaping the benefits of his hard work. That being said, Newman does need to play both as a change of pace and also because he's the next man up.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:42 am

250 yards rushing... Moved the ball particularly when needed, particularly in 4th... Need to clean up the holding calls... 5 of them I believe... Would have had close to 300 if we don't get those... Thought Barney got tired on last two drives... Big one in Macon Saturday... We need to put them in some a lot of 2nd and longs... Didn't see much of those in the game against Barney... Heard Woodruff (Barney LB) broke his leg... Prayers out to this kid... Tough way to go out your 5th year.GO SHD!!!
SmallTownTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:06 am

If anyone thinks FU and Clay Hendrix hasn't been prepping for the first game v Wofford since he stepped foot back in TR, you are insane. Add in the fact that he and his coordinators are VERY familiar with us and we have zero tape on them, and you have a very distinct advantage.
Brandon played lights out only missing a few reads all night. Loved that we were able to have some resemblance of a passing game (8 for 11 ain't bad for us at all). Loved we have Newman a series but I would have not given him the second one. I thought McAfee and Morgan were terrific (although Morgan HAS to make that catch on the wide open post). RJ and receivers were very good. OL did ok for the most part. Too many penalties. Stoddard needs more touches.
They have us some trouble with their O and neutralized our advantage up front. Second we played better on D until giving up that long run. Bad angles on the pursuit. Datavious didn't get there and OLB and DBs didn't make plays (Preister and Lufkin were both in on that play). Not sure Vaughn let's that play get outside of him. Great play calling by Chronic their OC until the 2 PT conversion. Thank you very much. Horrible call IMO. That is a direct result of no confidence in their OL. Talk about getting too cute, jeez. Love the 2 PT decision just hate the call.
FU started 3 F on OL, and depleted in most positions. Wait until Hendrix and Co get more talent on board. We better step up our own game.
Best team won but FU is right there (and was last year). Our mistakes and miscues kept them in it and made it a toss up. Lucky to win. As far as openers go, it was ok. Need to get better this week. Not sure if everyone knows this but B Lamb grew up across the street from C Hendrix and their parents still live there. B Lamb will be calling his buddy I am sure.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:15 am

Roo Daniels didn't play
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:50 am

A win is a win, but we have a lot of work to do. For much of the game, FU shut down the option and our plan was to try something else. Goodson looked good. The offense struggled with Newman, but to be honest, it didn't look like he had much to work with - even a speedy runner needs a hole or gap to run through and every time we ran the option, he and the pitch man faced a wall of white. Way too many penalties. Our pass coverage was almost non-existent for the first two and a half quarters.

On the bright side, we are 1-0 in the SoCon and have Furman out of the way. Many of our best years have started with early season narrow wins. Our DC coordinating his first game was able to make adjustments and we shut FU down for all but one play in the fourth quarter.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:17 am

I knew it was going to be a good night for the Terriers when I saw the purple splash liners in the urinals at Gibbs. By the end of the night, I noticed the floor did not seem as wet as everyone had a proper target.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:38 am

Our pattern has been to throw more in the early games and then taper off until it is virtually non existant by the end of the season. Last night we threw very conservative passes VERY well. If I'm not mistaken the only long pass was the one that could have been (and probably should have been) a really big one. Goodson showed he could get the ball to the receivers with zip and accuracy. I would love for us to throw it 20 times a game and spread the defenses a little. That would open it for the runners on the inside and make life a little easier for us. 8 for 11 is a great ball control passing game.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:25 am

I agree with the times we put in Newman. It's a common thing for teams with very good second string QBs to put him in on the the third possession. That's what we did with Newman. We put him in the next drive because there was less than 3 minutes left in the half and he has better zip on the option relative to Goodson. And that was why he was in the last possession as well.

The more I think of it the more impressed I am with Coach Wood's job. It was his first game and he suffered from a major information handicap but still managed to pull it off.

One thing I didn't like were pass plays on second and long and consecutive pass plays. There were not many run plays where we were stuffed. The option is a very schedule oriented offense and I felt like on the second and third possessions we left some points on the field. Though Brandon was 8-11 through the air there was 3-5 plays where he had to scramble or got sacked
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:39 pm

dungeonjoe wrote:I knew it was going to be a good night for the Terriers when I saw the purple splash liners in the urinals at Gibbs. By the end of the night, I noticed the floor did not seem as wet as everyone had a proper target.

SoCon series urinal liners. Brilliant idea. Think we need logos put on them though
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

PreviousNext

Return to Football