Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Wofford picked as one of the FCS upset specials of the FBS

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm

http://m.herosports.com/fcs-football/fc ... -2017-bzbz

Wofford picked as one of the potential upsets of the FBS this season. As Wofford plays South Carolina....

Wofford @ South Carolina (Nov. 18) –

Wofford can make the FCS playoffs real interesting with a huge upset in the final week of the regular season. The Terriers could very well have 0-1 losses heading into their game against South Carolina, who went 6-7 last season. The Gamecocks defeated Western Carolina, who is in the same conference as Wofford, 44-31. The Terriers defeated WCU 31-19. Take that how you wish, but Wofford returns a team that could be in the national title picture if it takes care of business in the Southern Conference. An upset here could greatly influence how the bracket is seeded
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: Wofford picked as one of the FCS upset specials of the F

Postby youngterrier on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm as optimistic as they come, but so long as we run the option, we'll probably stay competitive at best against Power 5 conferences.

Our offense is not high-octane, it's 3 yards and a cloud of dust. This works against teams with so-so offenses and average defenses, but anything above that caliber we'll have trouble against. If we ran a power I or an air raid offense, I'd say we may have a chance, but option offenses just don't have the passing attack (on average) to consistently threaten an SEC team. Teams like NDSU et all who run a west coast/power I offense are in a winning situation because they can grind it out and not turn the ball over as much alongside a defense that keeps a so-so offense in check. Air raid teams like Samford are able to score a lot of points but that increases the pace and sense of urgency in the game, so other teams score a lot of points in turn.

This may come off as an anti-option rant. It kind of is. The option helps us and is an equalizer in many respects, but I think we'd be a good team running any system. The probability of turnovers is much higher in "gimick"" offenses like air raid and options offenses.

As for USC themselves, they will be better this year. They found a QB who's good and they've recruited well. Further the WCU comparison isn't as valid because USC had a clear weakness for spread offenses last year (and, see commentary on air raid offenses above) and we won't be running that.

So I'm not saying it won't happen and I certainly wouldn't object if it happened...but I don't see it as likely. I'd rather lose 100-0 with no injuries.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football