2017 Season

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: 2017 Season

Postby fgs44 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Hey, Crabby Terrier, just checking in to see if you are ok with our QB depth now--I know you were fretting quite a bit :D :) 8) :lol:
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:18 pm

fgs44 wrote:Hey, Crabby Terrier, just checking in to see if you are ok with our QB depth now--I know you were fretting quite a bit :D :) 8) :lol:

I am feeling MUCH better!!! #-o
I am very excited for the future of our QB position!!!

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:58 pm

SoCon Media day https://youtu.be/lONRsYEvrEI

IMHO we have a very good group of QBs. A group that is difficult to beat. For several reasons. 1) Goodson is the most experienced and therefore most knowledgeable. He is in the best possible position to teach the other guys the game. 2) The other guys are talented, fast, athletic, smart. All they lack is experience and knowledge but Goodson will teach them the game. 3) Goodson is the only one that will not be here next year so once the other guys learn the game they will be together for at least three more years. They can only get better from playing together and improving their teamwork. The sky is the limit. 4) All five of the guys are exceptional athletes and should contribute to the team.
Retiredterrier
Junior Terrier

Postby walliver on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 pm

We burned Newman's redshirt last year. He is faster and quicker than Goodson and needs to play in every game this year.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Amen.
Then throw Mosley in for good measure.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Goodson should be the guy, unless he's turnover prone. That's the only stipulation. Of course, we have to call plays to put him in a position to not turn the ball over. I'm personally of the opinion that that's the greatest contributor to his turnovers. The first game of the citadel comes to mind
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:09 pm

MA said in one of his interviews during the Media day that we have a solid 2 deep. Anybody want to take a stab at it ??? He did not mention O or D so I assume he was talking about the entire team. GO TERRIERS !!!!!!!! :yay: \:D/
Retiredterrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:28 am

Here's my stab at it with a few question marks:
QB: Goodson, Newman
HB: Morgan, McAfee, Pace, McPherson/Chapman
FB: Nelson, Stoddard
WR: Taylor, Hill, Cleary, Motes
TE: Gouger, Karras
LT: Demmel, Brooks
LG: Rouse, Ronan
C: Daniels, Jeresaty
RG: Jacob-Duffy, Basinger
RT: Ralph, Burger

NG: Horton, Zamary
DE: Vaughn, Brown, Mangum, Curtis
OLB: Wilson, Morris, Lyles, Vining
ILB: Wilson, Clemons, Hinton, Patterson(?)/Rountree
CB: Watson, Gbeesee, Redwood, Lemon
FS: Tillery, Sarafianos/Massey/Strawter
SS: Rivera, Alstatt
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocomouth on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:19 am

Patterson will not be on the two deep. I have it on solid accord that his playing days are over.
wocomouth
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:55 am

The good news is that we are three deep many places, which can make the difference in the late stages of a hard fought game.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:34 am

QB Goodson, Newman
Eventually as the season goes from game to game Newman will get better and has a good chance of surpassing Goodson in the process. But he is still inexperienced and so may still be 2nd at the end. Another scenario involves Mosley, Racke and Cooper. Mosley seems to be the top contender but who knows what will happen. By end of season there is a good chance it will be Newman and Mosley with Goodson third but there is that inexperience factor. All of them will push each other to improve. Our QB outlook IMHO is on solid ground and should only get better.

FB Stoddard, Nelson
There is very little if anything at all that separates these two. So who starts is hard to tell. But both will get significant PT so I am not sure if it matters who starts. Also there is Andy Riazzi who is 3 inches taller than Stoddard or Nelson and weighs 215. His highlights look good. He may not make the 2 deep but should still get some PT.

ILB Sad to hear that about Patterson. Both for him and the team but mostly for him.

Here is a question/thought about all positions. This year the incoming Fr are as solid a group as we have ever had. Every player is very good if not exceptional. None are average. So it seems unlikely that none of them will see PT. Most likely several will see significant playing time. For those I will pick Shaun Moore, Joe Beckett, Austin Lufkin and either Omari Johnson or Donavan Anderson at one of the DB positions. And I can't leave out Deon Priester. He is a beast. Lufkin IMHO is the best of the group.
Retiredterrier
Junior Terrier

Postby lawdog on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:46 am

Good points RT. Other teams will get better as the season progresses so we darn sure had better.

One question is whether we will have a signature back. LoLo was our go-to for two years and got most of the carries,and could take it straight ahead or on the pitch. I don't know if Nelson or Stoddard, two strong backs, have that range. This may have the happy effect of giving us more versatility and quickness,and less predictability, from an array of backs. Thoughts?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:21 pm

I'll hold my water until the first week of fall practice....should be an eye-opener with all the talent coming onboard. It's my understanding that players will report to campus on the 30th of July. Anyone know the first practice date?
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:21 pm

Guys.....this Wofford team is built for a championship run. Seasoned, quality depth, 2-3 even 4 deep at certain positions of quality players, and that is before even mentioning the young talent that is coming in. It looks like we will have the ability to redshirt a significant portion of the freshman group if we saw fit. As always there will be players that force there way onto the field, but they will not be needed by and large. The staff has done a great job of recruiting quality depth around. And that is factoring in the losses of Michael Roach and John PAtterson who would be competing for starting positions in the LB corps. This is the most anticipated season that I can remember in recent history.

I do not see anyone replacing B Goodson / Neuman at the QB spot this season. Depth is great behind them, but we are not in a position of need at this moment to throw youth and inexperience to the wolves.

I will contribute my thoughts on the 2 Deep as Camp shakes out but I would say Ruck is all over what I think at this point.

THIS D LINE EXCITES ME....I think it will be the best D Line in the country and I cannot wait to see the Havoc they cause.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:53 pm

wocomouth wrote:Patterson will not be on the two deep. I have it on solid accord that his playing days are over.

I figured when I saw his number also assigned to another defensive player that we would not see him on the field again. I hate that.

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football