Transfer From CoC

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Transfer From CoC

Postby Ruckus on Sun May 07, 2017 5:23 pm

PF Chevez Goodwin is leaving CoC and joining us. He will be RSSoph after he sits out for a year with 3 years of eligibility left. He is 6'9" 210 and from Hammond Academy (via AC Flora).!he averaged 18.4 pts per game, 12.4 rbs, and 1.3 blocks as a Sr. Was co player of the year by The State with teammate Seventh Woods.
Not sure what gives rise to this or how much he played at CoC this year.
Seems like a good player and happy to have him.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: Transfer From CoC

Postby lawdog on Sun May 07, 2017 5:41 pm

Great addition - size and length. He averaged 2.3 ppg and 2.9 rpg during limited minutes as a freshman. Had some nice offers out of high school. Good student. Should make a big contribution after sitting out as a redshirt for a year and working on his body and game, practicing against Lowery, Pegram, and Jackson.

Hickert may not be coming, since it appears our 13 schollies are now taken, unless Manning is on an academic not athletic scholarship. Or maybe Hickert, a fine pitcher, comes on a baseball scholly.

The table is set for Zion, if he wants to pull up a chair; that would give us a good chance to beat ... anyone.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun May 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Keep hope alive, LD!
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 am

It's fun to chuckle at the prospect!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon May 08, 2017 2:12 pm

Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon May 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Saw on a CofC board where a couple of people were kind of ragging the kid for "taking a step back" or whatever to come to Wofford.

Uh....how many times has Wofford been to the NCAA Tournament since the Cougars' last trip?

Not sure what kind of player Chavez is. Sounds like he wasn't looking at a whole lot of playing time at Charleston. But that doesn't always mean a whole lot -- depends on what kind of talent, depth they already have in place. But a mobile 6-9 kid sounds like he could have potential for Wofford.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon May 08, 2017 6:52 pm

dude wrote:Saw on a CofC board where a couple of people were kind of ragging the kid for "taking a step back" or whatever to come to Wofford.

Let them talk. Their program and star power has faded drastically since the Kresse era. The only thing "big time" about Charleston basketball anymore is their ego. I'm not sure if that's just the echo of a thousand good times or if it's the arrogance of the Holy City shining through, or even a combination of the two, but regardless, Wofford's program has gone places since theirs has and will continue to do so. Good day, Cougars.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon May 08, 2017 7:13 pm

When they field a D-1 football team, then they can talk.
Until then, zip it.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue May 09, 2017 8:23 am

I happened upon the game CoC got eleminated from their conference tourney, and it made me so happy. When is the last time they made the NCAA Tournamnt? 1998?
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue May 09, 2017 3:30 pm

To be honest, outside of the power conferences, the only mid-majors that mean anything are the household names that perennially get back to the Tourney. I hate to say it, but even we aren't there yet. Even still, there are no step-down among the mid-majors, unless you go to a gutter team that can barely scrape 10 wins a year.

good to see us recruiting some more size.

I would love to see an analysis of the size of our average player from year-to-year. I feel like, on average, we're taller than when Dahlman and company were around. Our big guys are all 6 '8 or taller it seems. Obviously we've always had tall guys (it's basketball), but I think the overall height has grown since we made our first tourney appearance.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue May 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Generally, I think Wofford has begun to sign some bigger guys. And this coming season could be the one that really shows progress: I think Cam Jackson might be one of the top big guys (and maybe overall players) in the league. His size and agility are impressive. I also think that Matt Pegram has improved and continues to show promise. He may turn out to be a better-than-solid player.

Still, Wofford has had some taller guys in the past. Tyler Berg was a legitimate 6-9/10 guy was could flat-out play. His career was hampered by injuries, but he had tons of talent. And Howard Wilkerson, who was about 6-8 and very strong, was probably as talented a post player as Wofford has had during the D-1 era.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue May 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Wilkerson was closer to 6-6, about the same as Dahlman, and was a heckuva player.

Pegram needs to really be pushed on his fitness, quickness, and footwork so he can avoid cheap foul calls; he has a chance to be really special these next two years, if he can avoid cheap fouls and stay on the floor. Jackson could also be one of our best ever, Lowery too (he is not quite as tall, but has the stoutest frame).

Michael Manning is largely a raw talent, but he had some recruiting interest and presumably improved his game during his freshman year. At 6-8 with a good wingspan, and a strong high school background, he could help a lot next year. All of these bigs, including Goodwin, should benefit from heated competition against each other in practice; we have never had such depth here.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed May 10, 2017 5:10 pm

I'm pretty sure that Wilkerson had at least an inch on Dahlman. He was a hoss.

I agree about those returning players. And wasn't the staff pretty excited about Aluma? Any news on how he's coming along?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed May 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Good catch about Aluma, Dude ... we can't overlook his size and inside abilities
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue May 16, 2017 12:02 pm

It's official for Goodwin. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2017/5/ ... ogram.aspx

Cannot resist this little add-on from ESPN magazine about Dahlman; this is what it is about. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... id=6079171
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball