2016-17 Season

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2016-17 Season

Postby youngterrier on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Tough loss. sucks to not go to Asheville. We're steadily improving. Look out for us next year. Go T Dawgs
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Too bad all of the calls seemed to go against us down the stretch. One, the illegal screen call, was a killer. By the way, in this age of political correctness and the hoopla over HB2, how can the SoCon allow Karl Hess to be a league referee? The man was run out of the ACC for repeated problems, culminating with a racial slur against a major Wake Forest contributor. Is that not much more blatant than the HB2 supposed discrimination done purely as a reaction to a leftist Charlotte City Council? Hess continues to try to be the story rather than letting the game speak for itself. Why do we have to get him on the way down?
Commissioner, AD's and coaches: Having Karl Hess as a conference referee reflects poorly on the SoCon. Come on guys, we're better than that!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Does the SoCon choose who they want as a referee or does the NCAA appoint them to various SoCon games? I don't know much about how this works, but I don't think the SoCon has a specific set of officials like conferences such as the ACC do- do they?

But in any event, perhaps it might be best for the NCAA to let Karl Hess ride off into the sunset...
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:43 pm

I would think the SoCon is associated with one or more other leagues to provide referees. I think we used to have an association with the ACC. Or perhaps the referees are from a large list of available referees. They are NOT provided by the NCAA, but are approved prior to the season as NCAA qualified referees. Don't take what I said wrong-Hess is a good referee, but in my opinion he is flawed. He is the same ref who had one of the all time ACC players- sitting near the scorer's table at NC State- thrown out of a game in a very flamboyant move a number of years ago. There is nothing Chris Corchiani could have said that isn't heard at every ACC game. It was just that Hess decided to become larger than the game and show he was boss. Unfortunately, as we all are, he is flawed. Too bad his flaws have to affect games when they have meaning to so many.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:10 pm

REALLY BAD call against Jackson. If we'd taken the lead there, great chance we win, in my opinion. To make that call at that point in the game -- and right in front of our bench -- that took courage, I suppose. But with the wrong result.

I'm disappointed. But I think Wofford came a long way this season. Should have a chance to be very good next season. Got to get a point guard in gear, obviously, and a few guys need to develop...I think several will.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Always tough to lose in the tourney after having had so much success in the past. Good close game last night with some really questionable calls. The boys definitely went down fighting. I think Pegram, Jackson and Hoover have all made great strides down the stretch and should be much improved next year. Going to be weird seeing the Terriers playing without Garcia next season. What a special player. He will be missed.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:22 pm

Brutally bad call on Jackson. Even announcers on replay said they wouldn't have called it. Certainly wasn't the reason we lost the game. Had a chance to open up big lead at end of first half and let them back in it and momentum changed. Never like to see officials decide the game though. The future is bright. Honestly, if Cam can stay out of foul trouble next year, I expect him to be all-conference and Pegram was impressive in the Tourney. He is a marked man with the officials but did a good job the last few games to stay on the court. We will need him. Sure would have liked to see some of the Frosh step up this year but they all need some work. Theme-Love could help at point if Murphy not ready to step in. I would really like to see Brooks exert himself. He could be a beast on defense and has always been one of our best penetrators. Maybe the opportunity for more PT sparks that in him. Will obviously miss EG and Sawvell was a steadying force on our team a la Neumann. Jaylen had a great 1st half yesterday but just never got in sync this season. All were solid contributors and will be missed but I like where the program is headed. Just need some more young guys to come of age and we could be a force in years to come.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:55 pm

I'd like to point out that two of UNCG's key players are from Europe. They are players that were likely completely unobtainable to Wofford. Even though we now offer the maximum number of basketball scholarships (we haven't always done so), our recruiting budget is still less than that of many if not all of our conference foes, in some cases substantially less. Also, both ETSU and UNCG boast JUCO transfers that could not go to Wofford for a number of reasons. Even though we have four trips to the NCAAs we have always been and are still at a competitive disadvantage. When you take that into consideration, it makes the job that Mike Young has done with our program look very good.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:49 pm

Jaylen Allen...SHD extraordinaire:

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2017030 ... ylen-allen

He, Eric, Ryan and Wags will be missed.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:06 pm

ETSU holds on to defeat UNCG to earn the NCAA bid. I hope the Bucs rep the conference well.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:15 pm

ETSU holds on to beat UNCG. The Spartans almost had a miraculous finish with Alonso missing a wide-open look from 3 to tie it up (perhaps some karmic justice after his embellishment against Cam Jackson yesterday). I certainly agree with 94 in that I'm very proud of our program doing it the "right way" in keeping players all 4 years rather than being dependent on transfers or JUCOs as UTC and ETSU, among others, seem to be in this conference. Even our sole transfer, Sawvell, came from Evansville, a fellow mid-major, versus transferring from a Power 5 program. Hopefully our guys continue to train hard, study hard, and develop that potential that they showed this season. We will certainly miss EG, a Terrier's terrier if I've ever seen one, but remember, we won our most recent titles with EG at the helm in his freshmen & sophomore seasons. Perhaps Storm Murphy or DTL (or even Derrick Brooks) will seize the mantle and be the next young PG to lead our offense to a SoCon title. I'm already excited- is it November yet???
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:47 am

Hess certainly has a checkered past. It ultimately benefited Wofford, but remember the ticky-tack technical he called on Mark Gottfried in the first few minutes of our win at NC State a couple years back? That was really questionable and met with a lot of criticism from the Wolfpack faithful based off previous problems they'd had with Hess.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:18 pm

Just saw a blurb on social media that Justin Tucker is transferring. Anybody got any news on this?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:43 pm

Unfortunate if true (and it does appear to be). However, we have several more in this class who should be substantial contributors next year. The silver lining could be that if a very promising HS prospect should come available late this year, we have a schollie, or we may want to hang on to it since we are losing only Brooks next year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:50 am

Justin Tucker is a 6'7" forward. I don't know anything for sure but my guess is that with the emergence of Cam Jackson, the growth of Matt Pegram's game, the excitement the coaches have for Dishon Lowery, redshirt freshman Michael Manning and incoming freshman Keve Aluma, that Tucker was just behind too many people. According to verbalcommits.com (link below), the other Tucker, Kevon, is also transferring. He may also be the victim of a similar guard numbers game. Of course, academics could also be a factor. And Wofford simply isn't for everyone. In any event, I wish these men good luck and success wherever they might end up, as long as it isn't Furman. :mrgreen: But I hope for the sake of depth that we can replace them.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/wofford
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball