Moc fans dispeasure with paper reporter

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Moc fans dispeasure with paper reporter

Postby crabbyterrier on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:42 pm

WOW! I am even MORE thankful for Todd Shanesy!!!

http://moctalk.yuku.com/topic/28084/GP- ... Lx3Vmcizcs

http://moctalk.yuku.com/topic/28092/Opp ... Lx2Qmcizcs

Thanks Todd!!!

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: Moc fans dispeasure with paper reporter

Postby njterrier on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:00 pm

What happened with UTC and the national anthem? Keep reading about it but nobody actually says what the incident was
njterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby Terrier13 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:01 pm

From what I've gathered based admittedly on message board speculation and UTC basketball writeups, a group of players wanted to figure out a way to protest during the national anthem (like we've seen throughout sports in the past year a la Colin Kaepernick). After talking with the coaches, that group of players received the coaching staff's blessing to lock arms during the anthem as a team. The coaching staff at UTC did not inform the entire team of the intended symbolism of locking arms as a form of protest. One player, upon finding out that locking arms was meant to protest decided he did not want to continue to lock arms as he did not want to protest. Thereafter, his minutes were reduced towards the tail end of the season. Whether his minutes were decreased due to his protest or a decrease in performance is currently debated by the Mocs faithful. One beat writer reported this info while a different beat writer subsequently refuted this story. Regardless, at the very least, I think it's safe to say all is not well in Chattanooga.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:26 pm

The whole national anthem protest crap is played out now. I'm glad we don't have that garbage at Wofford. I'm sure Richard Johnson and Mike Young would never allow it. Or Mike Ayers. Or any other coach at the school.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:36 am

I have no problem with protest or speaking of one's mind, but at the same time, such protests earn you the right to the consequences associated with speaking up. I would like to think that Wofford is immune to stuff like this, but we really aren't. If anything, we are more prone to it because we recruit guys with something going on upstairs. This isn't to say that any other program doesn't have thinking players, but just that we typically have fairly cerebral players. I would support anyone's right to speak their mind whether I agree with it or not, but the backlash associated with such speech should be expected as part of the deal.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:26 am

I agree we are not immune and everyone has freedom of speech to voice whatever they want (albeit without inciting/initiating violence). However I draw a serious line with respect to our flag, our country and our military. Scream and cry about the politicians and their policies all you want but when it comes to respecting our country and its historic symbols (flag, national anthem etc.) which has been protected by the lives and blood of so many for so long that's a whole different deal IMO.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:13 am

I think we could have an intellectual debate about the pros and cons of the national anthem protests. I think we could all agree that Matt McCall handled this about as poorly as one could. If you want to allow your team to protest, then make the decision as a TEAM together. The idea that he thought it was ok to try to slip the protest by some of his players and not tell them is simply mind-boggling. Such a stupid way to burn your credibility and trust with your players.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:16 pm

the best way to handle this situation from a coaching or otherwise leadership standpoint is to allow such gestures without having to pull the entire team in and when commenting, talking about freedom of expression, etc etc we're here to play basketball.

This is America, and obviously tempers run high on this particular symbolic issue (which, btw a small minority participate in, not worth the attention or worrying about the collective fabric of civil society), and the best way to handle it while maintaining your team fabric is to live and let live, while not letting it eat at the fabric of your team (by not making it an issue).

(of course, this is just my opinion from the perspective of a soon-to-be PR professional, I'm not trying to start "this conversation," just point out that, from a leadership standpoint, the UTC coach dropped the ball BIG TIME and had to live with the consequences)
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball