2016-17 Season

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2016-17 Season

Postby youngterrier on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:11 am

Our brand is so much better than any other team in the conference now that Davidson left. We have the reputation for the best student section because we're smart in how we run things. We don't play in a giant arena we can't fill (see: UNCG). What's funny is that, as below expectations we may be right now, we're still better than what we were the years before our first championship. We're competitive in every game, and though I would love to see more consistency next year, you can't be too displeased with the product.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:36 am

Hobo wrote:All is not well in Chattanooga:

Sources: Mocs' McLean and Pryor done for season
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/34609655/so ... for-season

File this update under "Not Surprising": Looks like McLean is back with the team and no doubt playing against us :^o :-k

Paul Shahen‏ @paulshahen
No definite word from UTC if Tre' will play but him on team bus is great sign for #Mocs. He's a game changer, that's for sure. #SoConHops

Paul Shahen‏ @paulshahen
Yesterday, McCall said there was a way Tre' could rejoin team, UTC confirms he's on the team bus headed to Asheville for #SoCon Tourney.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:07 am

Shocking.... Hopefully, even if he plays, he will be a dividing force rather than a galvanizing one. I still think the loss of Pryor is more important to them against us. That guy had our number many times.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:40 am

This is very similar to how the football players that tested positive for drugs at Youngstown State still played against us in the football playoffs. Schools like Chattanooga and Youngstown State put WINNING first. Integrity be damned. Wofford is not like this at all. I have to agree with my alma mater here. I really really really want to win and everyone knows that. Losing is frustrating. But integrity is important to me too. I do have a conscious. If you can't win the right way, you don't really deserve to win.

On the other hand, there is a positive to McLean playing. If we beat the mocs it feels better knowing we beat a stronger Mocs team rather than a weakened one and the Mocs can offer fewer excuses for their loss to us.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:22 am

Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:20 pm

That's showing them, coach. Way to stand up for what is right. I'm sure your players will really respect you after this.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Hobo wrote:from the local Chatty paper

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/spor ... rd/415710/

So he knows the standard and the culture, eh Coach? What exactly would that standard and culture be? That we have a culture of fighting and it is the standard to leave the bench to join in fights? Pathetic! I hope we take these thugs down.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:42 pm

I don't think he left the bench to join a fight '94. My understanding is that he and a teammate got in a fight at halftime and were benched for the second half. Then he got into it with an Asst Coach on the bench and left the bench and went to the locker room only to return later in the game and sit on the bench. Unfortunately, the word that got out was that he was suspended for the remainder of the season. It appears that may have been inaccurate according to McCall. Certainly the loss to El Cid probably added to the desperate need for him to return especially with Pryor out. I agree with an earlier post in that it certainly makes you glad to have the quality of student athletes that we have. I can't imagine this scenario occurring with our squad or coaching staff. Our guys need to put all this garbage behind them and focus on what we do well. If we can do that, we beat them. If not,.....
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby jorober18 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:40 pm

In other words, "we are what we thought they were".

If we come out with defensive intensity and play tough, we'll win.
jorober18
Junior Terrier

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Man, UTC is definitely a team of arrogant, show-boating punks. I hope we come out in the second half fired up after letting that lead get away. If we don't knock them out, definitely rooting for someone to shut them up in this tournament. I didn't have any respect for their program before today but now I despise their athletics-first, student-never mentality even more.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm

And with this win, we have beaten every team in the league this year at least once. Pretty impressive for a team with 8 losses in the league.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:32 pm

Great team win and awesome final 20 minutes by our team shooting in an arena we've struggled in before. Need to come out strong against UNCG and play them like we did when they came to the BenJo. Hopefully the same team as today answers the bell tomorrow.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:37 pm

Great win! And a great game by a number of young players. Fletcher Magee is one of the most impressive shooters in the country at any level of basketball. He's a sophomore. Nathan Hoover (Fr) and Matt Pegram (So) really look like they are breaking out too. Cam Jackson (So) has become a beast! I think team is really starting to come together for the remainder of this season and beyond. And I also think it is poetic justice of a sort that we whipped this Moc team and knocked them out! We need a win tomorrow to guarantee a non-losing season and more importantly have a shot at a FIFTH NCAA berth. Man, ten years ago (less than that actually) I would have thought anyone loony who even suggested that was a possibility!
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Matt Pegram had a huge game today. Admittedly his stats were a pedestrian 8 points and 3 rebounds but he only got 2 fouls called on him (which is a huge improvement), but most importantly, he was able to stay out of foul trouble and play a solid game on both sides of the court against Touyo when Cam got into foul trouble.

If Cam and Matt can stay out of foul trouble, look out. Cam has improved greatly over the latter part of the season (I was surprised by this game), if Matt makes his performance today a trend...look out.

I'm feeling more and more confident with how the team looks next year with Pegram, Jackson, Hoover, and Fletcher. Garcia leaves some sasquatch sized shoes to fill (as does Sawvell), but we have a solid nucleus of guys coming back.

Either way, I'm proud of how the team has come together
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:54 pm

I definitely echo YT- Pegram played really well on Tuoyo when Cam picked up some weak fouls. I was really frustrated with the officiating early in the 2nd half. Unfortunately the officials make playing effective defense very difficult for our bigs. The inconsistency is maddening, especially when we have Saturday games and you know that the officials the SoCon gets are going to be really low on the rung because everyone else in larger conferences is playing as well. Anyways, happy to see good games from our young guys and we got the first one out of the way- hope we can carry that over to tomorrow. The mountain only gets steeper from here.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball