2016-17 Season

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: 2016-17 Season

Postby jorober18 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:29 am

There is still considerable uncertainty regarding seeding for the tournament. For instance its entirely possible that Chattanooga, Samford and Wofford end in a three way tie, with them ordered 4,5, and 6 respectively.

For that scenario obviously Chatty goes 0-2 and Samford 2-0 and Wofford loses to Furman.

Main point is that we will know a lot more after Saturday's games.

Agree on the general feeling of us playing better, not just offensively but defensively too. This is a deep league this year though.
jorober18
Junior Terrier

Postby njterrier on Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Yes, this team has been up and down this year to say the least. Hopefully they can surprise some teams in the tournament because as been pointed out above they can play with anybody. But what struck while I was watching last night is that Fletcher and Cam are only sophomores. The future is bright there. Fletcher is arguably having a bit of an off year, but he still can take over games is averaging 18/game. And came has come on both offensively and defensively. He has been blocking a lot of shots of late. Very excited about the rest of this season and so excited about moving into JRIS!

Anyone know when Zion will tell everyone he committing to WC? Ha. Seriously, any info on how 2017 Commits Murphy and Keva did this winter or any additional recruiting news?
njterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby Ruckus on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Murphy just hit 1,000 career points. Aluma still continues to produce and get better. We will need him to be ready to replace Sawvell next year.
I haven't heard of another commitment.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:42 pm

Ruckus -- What's your take on the two recruits? It seems that the staff was pretty excited about both. But that always comes across in recruiting.

I've seen video of Murphy. He looks to be pretty quick and aggressive with a little style to his game. Short, though.

Any thoughts?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Both recruits had excellent senior years, scoring well. Aluma has been an excellent rebounder too.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:18 pm

Dang, I don't like the Furples.
Terriers leading by 5 in a tough one. 14:00 left
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:28 pm

Lost 78-69

Again...SO THANKFUL we have Mark & Thom as radio announcers. Turned off the Furman Duo after a couple minutes of ESPN3 even though the tv delay was significant.
Ugly game; could never get our guards into a good shooting rhythm. Acox, their big, was near perfect (played well on his senior day.) Our free throw shooting was off. Cameron played WELL.
Need the upcoming week to recharge and get ready for Asheville. The Terriers can beat anyone; but, so can the top 5 teams.
Hoping for a fifth trip to Big Dance...
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:19 pm

I hate losing to Furman.

This team is just not consistent enough to win a tournament. It ain't likely to happen this year. And even if the stars, moons, and planets all align in the skies of Pisces and it does happen, we'll very likely be a 16 seed and play someone we can't even begin to compete with like Kansas...and I'd rather not. Let's be better next year.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Actually, if we win the tournament, I'd say we have a chance to be in a play-in game which could give us our first ever tourney win. More likely would be a 15 seed going against the likes of Baylor, Kentucky, UNC, Duke. Play-in may be a better alternative, then play one of the big boys.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:06 am

Believe the cart is way before the horse. Cam Jackson has come miles from the beginning of the year. He is cursed with that whisper of "potential." He has shown the ability to be a true game changer in a number of games since the conference season began. I know teams hate to get beaten by the three point shot, but a solid big man just hammers you over and over. If you have a chance to watch this game again take a look at some of the picks Cam set. A player doesn't have to run into but one of those before he develops the roving eyes. They were good clean picks, too. He absolutely hammered some Furman guards. Those are the things you beg big men to do, but it is not fun to take the hits. It is every bit as tough as taking the charge.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:26 am

True Boulder, Cam played about as well as we have seen. Two things killed us: we had only six assists all night, which I think is a season low by a wide margin. Atypically, we did not distribute the ball with energy and intelligence ... too much standing around and one on one. Thus Garcia was not getting open looks and Sawvell and Hoover disappeared. Pegram looked out of sync to me. Second, we shot very poorly from the field and FT line in the last ten minutes. But in the first half in particular it was a well played game. And give Beans from Furman credit for hitting some big shots from the outside.

Brooks is starting to look more comfortable, finally. We could do some good things in the tournament. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2017/2/ ... 78-69.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:06 pm

This year's team can beat anyone in the conference and also lose to anyone in the conference. If they get hot, they could win a game or two and who knows. If not, then it could be one and done. I don't subscribe to the theory that its better to avoid getting in as a #16 seed. It is ALWAYS better to win a conference championship and be in the NCAA tournament, no matter what happens.

I believe that next year will be a more consistent year, but it's hard to say right now. Each team is different and develops differently. In the meantime, we are to the "survive and advance" portion of the season so we shall see how things progress.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:47 am

FU flat defended us. I mean in our face especially Garcia and Fletcher. Reminded me of....well, us (in past years; championship years). On the flip side we did not defend FU all that well; the need for help on the dribble penetration just left Beans open and he didn't miss but one. We played ok just not ok enough. Make FTs down the stretch and we would have stayed well into it but can't say that would have done it.
The big difference and key stretch in 2nd half was Cam going out with his 3rd foul and Pegram 3 fouls in 2 minutes plus a TO and getting his shot blocked. I don't know what it is but Pegram is marked man with the refs. He is a walking whistle.
They outplayed us by a little and won. Not a coat of paint difference really between these 2 teams although made up differently.
On to the SoCon where anything can happen.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:59 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:This year's team can beat anyone in the conference and also lose to anyone in the conference. If they get hot, they could win a game or two and who knows. If not, then it could be one and done. I don't subscribe to the theory that its better to avoid getting in as a #16 seed. It is ALWAYS better to win a conference championship and be in the NCAA tournament, no matter what happens.

I believe that next year will be a more consistent year, but it's hard to say right now. Each team is different and develops differently. In the meantime, we are to the "survive and advance" portion of the season so we shall see how things progress.

I realize that I am in the minority about not wanting to make it as a 16 seed. My position on that is that we would be a whipping boy and perhaps a national laughingstock and the butt of jokes being matched up against the likes of Kansas, UNC, etc...not all publicity is good publicity. Call me paranoid but I have seen how our little program gets cracked on- remember that article from Colorado this year. I am probably being silly on this, but I guess I'm more sensitive than average, to say the least.

As for next year, I agree that we should have more overall experience and two bona fide stars in Magee and Jackson. But we'll still be relatively young and the loss of steady PG Eric Garcia concerns me. That guy is tremendous with the ball...he rarely turns it over. We'll see if Brooks, Theme-Love, and newcomer Storm Murphy can pick up the slack by committee.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:28 am

But the thing is, no one expects a 16 seed to win (since it's never been done). That removes all pressure from us and puts it on the 1 seed to not be the first 1 seed to lose to a 16. I'm always on the side of us winning SoCon titles and advancing to the Big Dance, regardless of where we're seeded. As for people writing off small schools, well, it has happened, it does happen, and it will happen. Use it as bulletin board material to get better or completely disregard it as the rubbish it is.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball