The BenJo

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

The BenJo

Postby Hobo on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Todd has done it again with this great article on the history of the BenJo. I remember playing on that rubber surface well. And I didn't know all the nuggets in his piece. Last night was my last night seeing a game there. I will miss it for sure but so look forward to the new arena.

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2017021 ... nson-arena
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Re: The BenJo

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:49 pm

It is definitely time for Wofford to get a great new arena such as the JRIS. The program is deserving of it and it will help us with recruiting and scheduling. It short, it will make it easier for us to win AND to draw more fans. And I grew tired long ago of other SoCon schools making fun of our gym. But I'll still miss the BenJo. The program had great success in there. It definitely became a huge home court advantage for us- it can get very loud in there! It is actually still a nice place to watch a game. There's not a bad seat in there. I just hope we can make the JRIS as much of a home court advantage.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:08 pm

The BenJo is the Taj Mahal compared to Andrews Field House.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:48 pm

It might not meet DHEC or other regulations for safety, but can you imagine how loud Andrews Field House could get? Would be one of the toughest places anywhere to play.

In any case, I'm excited about the new arena. A little sad about the BenJo. I was at that first game against The Citadel when I was a kid. A true heartbreaker. Lots of fun games there since....
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:02 pm

My freshman year at Wofford was the senior year of George (Sleepy) Lyons, who is still the all time leading scorer for Wofford (long before the three point shot). Andrews was a great little gym as far as home court is concerned, and Wofford played in some wonderful small arenas all over the Carolinas. Most of them were built in the era before steel and corrugated metals were use. After my freshman year I was strong armed into becoming a cheerleader, and we went to some interesting places. Erskine, especially, had a bull pen arena. The fans were elevated about five feet above the floor-just high enough so the students could reach down and smack the players (or cheerleaders) in the head! On this Saturday there will be a number of former players at the game who NEVER played in the BenJo, but could tell you about Andrews. The players who walked on that court, just like the BenJo, could fill a Who's Who of both basketball and life. Time moves on, and the JRIS is the next step along the way. In ten years there will be a number of Wofford students and graduates who never experienced games in the BenJo!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:28 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:59 pm

Pretty good choices. I'm surprised and pleased that the voters were so inclusive of players throughout all of the BenJo years.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 pm

I would have to put Brad Loesing in there somewhere, but not sure who he would replace. He was a terrific ball handler and floor leader, and good shooter. And don't forget, first-team academic All-American, along with a Duke and UNC player. SoCon defensive player of the year. I believe he also led the nation in minutes played per game one year. No. 1 career Wofford games started and minutes played. Other thoughts/changes/omissions?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Watching the big games prior to ours in the SoCon. Furman/UNCG is hard to watch because the Furman color man is so bad. Chatty and ETSU are in a grinding low scoring game. As Mark and Thom say, "a tractor pull." Man, are we fortunate to have such a great broadcast team.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:48 pm

+1 Boulder

Hope it's a packed house tonight...
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:52 am

The absence of Loesing on the all time Benjo lost is a crime and patently offensive. As much as I love Garcia who is a Terrrier's Terrier, Loesing is the best PG I have ever seen suit up in the Old Gold and Black. Greg O'Dell is another that should be on there as well.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:46 am

Ruck - O'Dell did make the team and agree about Loesing. DIfferent skill sets between he and EG. Loesing much better at dribble penetration but not as good from outside. But Loesing was a dandy. I think Lenzly may have been one of the best as well but I guess you can't include everyone.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:22 am

Agree about Lenzly. Tough player. Longtime pro European player, on the British Olympic team.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Sorry, I completely missed O'dell on the list.
IMO, Lenzly should have been on the list before Ian Chadwick. Seth Chadwick, Ian's brother, would be an honorable mention in my book as well.
Good to see Stephon Blanding get the recognition he deserves. He was a beast in the post at 6'4" or so.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Tyler Berg might should get honorable mention too; he could be really tough inside.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball