2016-17 Season

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: 2016-17 Season

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:51 am

I think frat and sorority rush activities affected the attendance. Plus mid week games are tough on fans with school age kids. Hopefully tomorrow night is better. I expect Saturday night to be a good crowd.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Ruckus wrote:I think frat and sorority rush activities affected the attendance. Plus mid week games are tough on fans with school age kids. Hopefully tomorrow night is better. I expect Saturday night to be a good crowd.

It was a Monday nite. :? But yes, rush is going on this week.

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Fourth OT
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:07 pm

Terriers win 131-127. The win is great, but you have to wonder if the team will have anything at all left in the tank saturday against Chatty. But it was a very important win as it put us at 8-5 in the conference and Samford at 6-6. We are now solidly ahead of them. Had Samford won, they would have moved ahead of us AND swept the season series from us, which would have given them a big advantage in the standings. As an aside, is this the most points Wofford has ever scored in a game?
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:22 pm

Words cannot adequately describe the team's efforts for this KEY win.
Amazing stat: Eric Garcia played 58 minutes with 0 [ZERO] turnovers; 31 points.
Sammy's PG is impressive...wore our guys out on dribble penetration; but, Fletch made a fantastic block on his last drive to the basket.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:45 pm

The BenJo isn't ready to let us go yet! Tremendous leadership among the players on this team. I had totally intended to watch our game and then switch over to the UNC/Duke game-but I didn't see a second of the other game! The players in that other game may have been better, but they didn't play with any more heart. HUGE shots by both teams in OT, and amazing play by all. I even thought for the most part it was a great job refereeing a tough game. They tried to let the players decide the game. Eric got the Samford guy to fall for the arm hook, and it was a huge play. Every player who stepped on the court for Wofford made a difference. Sure, our guys are dead legged for now, but they will be back Saturday night going after another win. After we lost to two of the worst teams in the league-one at home- whoda thunk we could be where we are? We seem to have escaped the bottom group and actually have a chance to be near the top. With three games to play who's going to bet against us?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:54 pm

Just wow! I wasn't there tonight but still was on the edge of my easy chair. I'll be there Sat. They might be out of gas but that's ok. They completely changed the season outlook with this run. Just wow!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierDomination on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:22 am

I'm starting to get the feeling that the majority of the student body really doesn't like basketball...
TerrierDomination
Junior Terrier

Postby boulder3m on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm

It's interesting. Lenny Mathis works hard at getting folks to games, but it is difficult. Unless the school embraces a player or team there is just no enthusiasm. I used to think it's a South Carolina thing, and to an extent it is. However, somehow it needs to be "cool" to go to the games and yell for your team and against the other. This is the first week back for the students after Interim, and the first week of classes for the second semester. Does that matter? Probably a little. However, if the students don't care about going to the games, at some point you have to question the reason any school other than the really big ones even go through the process of fielding intercollegiate athletic teams. We do get students who want to compete in athletics, but at what cost? It is an interesting discussion, and one that many schools and programs have gone through. It is interesting to look at Davidson and what they have chosen to do with athletics. Essentially, they have de-emphasized every sport except Basketball, and moved to the A10 to try to compete in a league that will get more than one bid. However, they are mired in the middle there, and support is minimal at best. They have a great facility for basketball that seats about 7,000, but it isn't filled very often, and is more likely empty.
The question is whether the students who enroll at Wofford place a value on having athletic teams competing on a regional or national level? And, if so, what is that value?
For us, who are most likely "dyed in the wool" sports nuts, it is no question; but it really makes you wonder when you see less than a hundred students on average attending a game.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:30 pm

A lot of our students follow and attend USC/Clemson games in football and basketball. What they don't realize is how close in ability their Wofford classmates and athletes are to those playing at larger schools. The irony is that if asked I bet most students would cite the campus life aspects as being a positive attribute to their choosing to attend Wofford. In other words, most students would believe losing or deemphasizing competitive varsity athletics would negatively effect their campus experience, yet attending games is not necessarily a priority of theirs. I do think the spring rush activities have affected attendance this week. Otherwise, we have had pretty good attendance at most games when the student body has been at school. Of course winning helps with that.
Bottom line: Wofford is a small school with a high academic requirements and a heavy Greek presence. There are lots of things the students can choose or are required to do rather than attend ball games. Plus we aren't Clemson or Carolina and basketball general in SC is a secondary sport to King Football, unlike other places like N.C.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:03 pm

It seems like there have recently been years when student support was really strong. Sure, Wofford has been as good this season so far as some other years -- but the games are exciting (last two games, obviously), and the program has a lot going for it. So, I don't know why attendance isn't better.

Also, I'm not wild about the fact that students no longer have seating in the middle section of seats. I realize it was to be polite to opposing teams' fans or whatever. But it used to be that even a small number of students could really make big racket in the BenJo. I think the place is less imposing, maybe, for other teams than it used to be.

I think I heard students might be getting moved to behind one of the baskets in the new arena. I sure hope not. That's a terrible idea if you ask me.

Lenny's activities during games seem more geared toward getting people from town out (people who pay for tickets) than students, though there might be more on-campus promotion before games and so forth than I am aware of.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Attending college basketball games is a lot better thing to do than going to a fraternitiy party that tolerates and sometimes even encourages the underage drinking of college students under 21 as well as the taking advantage of drunk young women unable to give proper consent...yes, all this goes on at Wofford (I saw it first hand back in the early 90s and I know little has changed) and the college should come down HARD on it! I know ALL students in fraternities don't do those things, but too many do! Sorry, but this discussion on fraternities vs. basketball games got me on a soapbox.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Well, to borrow a phrase from The Big Lebowski, that's just like, your opinion, man. Hard to believe for some on here but some young people would rather go drink and hang out with friends than come to the ballgame (although, with the exception of Rush Week, basketball games don't generally cut into time at The Row since most of our games finish up by 9:00 PM). Wofford has been this way about sports for a long time. Check out most football games in the fall and the student section will generally check out and leave at halftime, regardless of the score. As to cutting back sports programs, I dont see that happening, especially considering the recent expansion into lacrosse. Given how sharply donations would fall if we cut football and how relatively inexpensively basketball has put Wofford on the map with the four NCAA tourney trips, not to mention the corresponding cuts that would have to be made to satisfy Title IX requirements if we cut the ladies' teams, I just don't see it happening. To put it simply, we seem to have a lot of fair weather fans that will have the BenJo rocking when our team is good and will find other things to do when we're not. Not sure how to address the issue but castigating a large percentage of the student population by painting Greek Life with a broad brush (especially given Pike's support of the basketball team) doesn't seem the way to go about instituting change.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:19 pm

Terrier13 wrote:Well, to borrow a phrase from The Big Lebowski, that's just like, your opinion, man. Hard to believe for some on here but some young people would rather go drink and hang out with friends than come to the ballgame (although, with the exception of Rush Week, basketball games don't generally cut into time at The Row since most of our games finish up by 9:00 PM). Wofford has been this way about sports for a long time. Check out most football games in the fall and the student section will generally check out and leave at halftime, regardless of the score. As to cutting back sports programs, I dont see that happening, especially considering the recent expansion into lacrosse. Given how sharply donations would fall if we cut football and how relatively inexpensively basketball has put Wofford on the map with the four NCAA tourney trips, not to mention the corresponding cuts that would have to be made to satisfy Title IX requirements if we cut the ladies' teams, I just don't see it happening. To put it simply, we seem to have a lot of fair weather fans that will have the BenJo rocking when our team is good and will find other things to do when we're not. Not sure how to address the issue but castigating a large percentage of the student population by painting Greek Life with a broad brush (especially given Pike's support of the basketball team) doesn't seem the way to go about instituting change.

I did not mean to ruffle feathers. And I did mention that I know that not every fraternity member does the bad things I mentioned. I just think underage drinking leads to problems and these kids would be better served to be in the gym yelling for the Terriers. You can "hang out with friends" at the game. I know we're rebuilding now but it's not like we have an awful team. We're in the upper half of the SoCon. And it's fun, albeit frustrating at times, to watch the growth of these young players. It is a hobby well worth it, especially if you can see the games for free like students can...I just don't get not coming out to the gym to support the team. If you absolutely HAVE to drink, provided you're 21 of course, do it on nights without games! And yes, I realize this is all "just my opinion" and anyone is free to disagree, but I think it a valid, responsible opinion. And not all these kids skipping games are in fraternities anyway, so that's not the only reason our attendance is down...something else is at play. Maybe people are jaded by the BenJo and are waiting for the JRIS to open...
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:39 pm

I apologize for being sharp 94. I recognize your frustrations are real and I do think that other activities/distractions do take away from our gameday experience. As you mention, while we're inconsistent as a team, we have beaten most of the top tier while regrettably also dropping several games to the lowest ranks. I can understand some reluctance to football even because the Triple option, with its three yards and a cloud of dust, isn't exactly the most exciting brand of football to watch. One would think the basketball talents we have, revolving around the inside-out game with Cam Jackson throwing dunks down and Fletcher's dare-I-say Steph Curry-like range, would be entertaining basketball (I know I certainly am entertained). This is a problem spanning college athletics (even Alabama and the mighty Nick Saban's were having issues drawing students on time the past few years https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/alabama/look-alabamas-student-section-a-ghost-town-after-halftime-of-kent-state-game/amp?client=safari). Not sure how we fix this but I hesitate to drag people that don't want to be there to games because having an additional several hundred students physically at a football or basketball game but otherwise mentally predisposed because they're distracted by their phones, etc. isn't a much better look and might even be worse.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball