2016-17 Season

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: 2016-17 Season

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Very nice win against Mercer tonight. Bob Hoffman continues to be one of the whiniest coaches in college basketball but, hey, it almost got him the call to win with the touch foul called on Cameron Jackson at the end after the weak appeal for an elbowing call against Jackson on the preceding play. So glad the team got a road win (snack time!) but it's especially nice to shut Hoffman's fat mouth up. Eric Garcia continues to prove how special of a player he is- one of the best to ever suit up for the old gold and black.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:04 pm

Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:25 am

Can't say enough about Fletcher's vision, awareness, and unselfishness. He was open for his 3 and could have easily gotten it off but they left Eric wide open. Great look and Eric did not miss. Nothing but net.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:22 am

Ruckus wrote:Can't say enough about Fletcher's vision, awareness, and unselfishness. He was open for his 3 and could have easily gotten it off but they left Eric wide open. Great look and Eric did not miss. Nothing but net.

+1 I thought the same thing.

We struggled a lot of the night, but hung around and got it done at the end. It definitely wasn't a thing of beauty, but a W is a W, especially on the road. Snacktime earned!

Big stretch ahead of us.The next 4 games ( and 5 of our last 7) are against teams that are ahead of us in the standings. Good chance to make up some ground and snag a higher seed. Keep eatin dogs !
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:02 am

Eric's mom flew into Atlanta and then drove down to Macon for the game. What a thrill for both of them to see the game winner! Three BIG games this week at the BenJo. Cam Jackson was sick before and during the game yesterday and gave a tremendous effort. Hope they have pumped him up by tomorrow night! We need to have a great week to get firmly back into the upper tier before the tournament.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:23 pm

19 assists, only 9 turnovers. But we were badly outrebounded.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:25 pm

This team is so schizophrenic: inconsistent, up/down. Which to me is a hallmark of young inexperienced teams. When you go down our lineup, we only have 2 players who have ever really started in their career previously (EG and Fletcher). So we are still learning. These 2 wins (especially at Mercer) were positive steps in our maturation. I hope we continue to learn and mature this year to make a run in the tournament. But what scares me is looking at next year we will be breaking in a new PG and probably a new starter in the post.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Yeah I think we'll probably put it together this time next year...but I'm just not sure
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Ruckus wrote:This team is so schizophrenic: inconsistent, up/down. Which to me is a hallmark of young inexperienced teams. When you go down our lineup, we only have 2 players who have ever really started in their career previously (EG and Fletcher). So we are still learning. These 2 wins (especially at Mercer) were positive steps in our maturation. I hope we continue to learn and mature this year to make a run in the tournament. But what scares me is looking at next year we will be breaking in a new PG and probably a new starter in the post.

Don't forget Sawvell. Allen and Jackson too. We are actually pretty experienced. Perhaps more than we will be next year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:27 pm

As much as I like Ryan Sawvell -- and he's really, really good -- I think Wofford should have a number of good options in the post. Replacing Eric Garcia, however, will be an extremely tall order. I do think there's talent in the program already, and I think they're pretty excited about recruit Storm Murphy. Still, Garcia has been absolutely a stud.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:35 pm

What a win! I admit I didn't have much hope through much of the game, but they made me proud tonight.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:48 pm

As the radio guys said, "how in the heck did we win that game?" Sawvell took at least 5 charges and maybe one more that wasn't called. Cam did some really strong work tipping the ball and getting in position to make plays. Matt really did some good things. All three of the guards played well and stayed in their rolls, and Eric and Fletch were filling it up. Breaking the press still makes me nervous, and we will see lots more of it on Thursday night.
Our guys have beaten every team above us in the conference except one, and they come to town on Saturday night. Looking at the standings it is not hard to think about our two terrible losses and see what could be. This team is capable of beating them all if we put it together. Maybe all of us watching thought our guys were done, but they didn't, and came roaring back.
I was disappointed in the crowd tonight. Loud but small. Where were the students?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:53 pm

I agree about the crowd. Pretty lousy turnout from students, especially.

What a great game, though!

Fletcher Magee made some just amazing shots. One that couldn't have been more than a foot or two from the sideline, he caught it at an angle, one motion launched it....went in. Key time of the game. Just pretty unbelievable. Should probably be an ESPN play of the day or something. Eric Garcia was excellent, as usual. Cameron Jackson struggled in the first half, but made a number of terrific plays in the second half. Sawvell was strong. Hoover made a couple key shots -- he's a player. Jaylin Allen has lost playing time and seems to be struggling, but he made a key shot in the second half -- good stuff. Pegram played really solid, made some key plays in the second half.

ETSU was really big and athletic. A good team. It was impressive for Wofford to win.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierDomination on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:21 am

Can we just be honest... Wofford students are a great bunch of intelligent young people that are difference makers in this world, but those that are not players know nothing of sports. I was at the game tonight. WHAT A GAME. and what little student body that did show up spent the whole time on their phone. My church is louder than our fan base. But hey, I'd rather have a lame dorky fan base and turn out a Wofford Grad making a difference in this world than to be a loud App State student with little to no goal after college :p
TerrierDomination
Junior Terrier

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:07 pm

TerrierDomination wrote:But hey, I'd rather have a lame dorky fan base and turn out a Wofford Grad making a difference in this world than to be a loud App State student with little to no goal after college :p

Ouch! That just happened... Saint3333 should materialize any minute now with a rebuttal.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball