2016-17 Season

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2016-17 Season

Postby lawdog on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:56 pm

We took five charges in this game. Must be willing to do that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zoMddR9csE
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:35 am

At WCU today Jan. 28 7 pm ESPN3.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Tonight's game was reminiscent of the Foreigner song...Cold As Ice. Need to shoot the ball better on Thursday because ElCid will score a bunch with their crazy style of play. We also got beat badly on the boards. Way too flat to win on the road.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:51 pm

We are 1-12 away from the BenJo this year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:59 pm

Way too many threes and many were last second, off balance heaves. Need to get back to establishing the inside game first. We were playing our best when Cameron, Pegram, Sawvell were able to contribute early and regularly.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:13 am

WCU was ranked 351 out of 351 D1 programs. An embarrassing horrific loss for our program. One of the worst losses we have ever had quite frankly.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:58 pm

We're still a year away
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:59 pm

We have seen flashes of erratic brilliance this year, but some unbelievably poor performances as well. This is a team that IS capable of beating everyone in the league just as they have lost to the two worst teams in the league. The irony is that we have 8-10 players who all can play at any given time. If our bigs play well we win. Otherwise we can stink it up. This team is capable of being in the top three of the league if they play to their potential.
Teams have decided that Fletcher will not beat them, and we can't seem to overcome that. I would love to see use pound it inside over and over until our opponents have to start leaving the outside more open. Our guards are more slashers than they have been, but we also have to make others defend the drive and open it up.
It is disappointing to have a point like Garcia and not be able to win. Believe me, an assist to turnover ratio like he has is very rare. While it isn't one of those media statistics, every coach in the business would love to have a PG with that kind of stat.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:15 am

Need a bounce back in a big way tonight. Who is going to the game?
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 pm

Once again an interesting game to watch. The Citadel is just a tough game for us. They make it wild and ragged, and the refs have a hard time figuring it out. We turned it over 20 times and it looked just that bad. We couldn't get it in bounds and then couldn't handle it once we did. We had three guys score 20, and the real bonus was getting Derrick Brooks back. Since we have lost twice to the worst in the league we now need to get to Macon and pick up another road win.
While I haven't read anything about it, our agreement with the ACC on referees must be over. We just get some really questionable calls that seem to come mostly on the road. As a matter of fact, we have gotten the best ref in the league several times at home. Tonight we played through it, but it continues to concern.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Good win!
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:46 am

boulder3m wrote:Once again an interesting game to watch. The Citadel is just a tough game for us. They make it wild and ragged, and the refs have a hard time figuring it out. We turned it over 20 times and it looked just that bad. We couldn't get it in bounds and then couldn't handle it once we did. We had three guys score 20, and the real bonus was getting Derrick Brooks back. Since we have lost twice to the worst in the league we now need to get to Macon and pick up another road win.
While I haven't read anything about it, our agreement with the ACC on referees must be over. We just get some really questionable calls that seem to come mostly on the road. As a matter of fact, we have gotten the best ref in the league several times at home. Tonight we played through it, but it continues to concern.

I told my son after watching that game that the biggest thing you can do against that frenetic pressure is to keep your composure and move the ball. When we did that, we broke the press easily. Reffing that craziness would be a nightmare. I could have called a foul on about every offensive trip we had. Citadel got away with a lot but I guess their thinking is that the refs can only call so much? We still don't have defensive intensity that has been the hallmark of our championship teams. Still think we need to focus on establishing the inside game more. Cam and Pegram should be a tough duo to stop.
Last edited by T-Dog 4 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Good points TDog. When you shoot 59% from the field and three point land, and out rebound the other team by 15, and still only squeak out a win at the end against the league's cellar-dweller, it speaks volumes about the quality and intensity of your defensive effort. Nice win and I will take it, but it takes D to win a championship. Nice to see Brooks be of some help. When Jackson took that charge late, that was the most energizing thing any SHD did all night. And with Jackson, Pegram, and Sawvell, we have the best and most experienced inside talent I can recall us putting on the floor at one time. We are definitely good enough to win the conference tournament, but only if we play our best defense all the time and get the ball inside more effectively.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Very true, lawdog. The other thing we really seemed to struggle with was getting the ball inbounds. Citadel absolutely hounded (and held) us after a made basket and we seemed to be largely unable to get free...or even come to the ball. I would really like to see us run some designed stacks and set more screens to help get EG the ball on the inbounds.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:04 pm

The other important stat is that we turned the ball over 20 times. That is very unusual for this team, and really shows how they are not in control of pressure situations. Agree that we need to set some tough screens and do our share of the dirty work to get guys open off of made baskets against us. Going back to watch the game, another thing that stood out was our matador defense in many cases. It was painful.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball