Citadel

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Citadel

Postby boulder3m on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:14 pm

This is why sports are so much fun. The Citadel came in and did everything we didn't expect. Jumped us with full court pressure playing everyone on their bench. They played their guards out and cut off the three point shot. We were not able to penetrate and dish. We weren't ready and just seemed shocked to see it. We have had lots of play from at least four freshmen in some key situations. Weird officiating. Called every touch foul up until the last two minutes, and then they swallowed the whistles-let anything go. Nothing players hate more than strange inconsistency. Then, in the OT they started calling touch fouls again. Our coaches didn't have our team ready for this one. Bad loss on a night when we could have really made some progress in the league.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: Citadel

Postby dude on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Yes, very frustrating. A few thoughts:

**Wofford played a GREAT stretch of basketball late in the second half. After Citadel had built a nine-point lead, Wofford really took control. It was fun to watch.

**Sloppy play near the end of regulation. Fletcher got his pocket picked. We had two or three later offensive possessions without even getting off a decent shot.

**The Citadel's coach barked at the officials maybe more than any coach I've seen (well, there's Coach K...). He was really obnoxious.

**I thought Garcia got fouled bringing the ball up the court near the end of regulation. I don't know. I realize they "let them play" -- but it seems to me that they will allow defensive players to just ride a guy. Seems like contact 30 feet from the basket when the point guard clearly has possession of the ball should be a foul.

**Wofford's got some real potential. But need some more toughness. Citadel got too many shots in the lane. Our inside guys played pretty well -- but just that little bit of aggressiveness. And I think it's probably a matter of the guards not making entry passes and drives in the lane easy.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:24 am

Was sitting with Dude and agree with his points. Still pretty miserable about the loss. Chatty also lost so a wasted opportunity.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:52 pm

Citadel was much more aggressive for sure. We had a hard time getting open, getting it inbounds, and dealing with their press. Waaaay too many turnovers. Our defense did not match El CID's intensity and we gave them too many uncontested three's. Also, does anyone else think FM may be forcing it a bit too much on O?

On the bright side, E.G. continues shine and we shot FT's well. Keep fighting and keep improving!
Last edited by T-Dog 4 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby jorober18 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Defense must get better.

Too many step-throughs and arounds by their bigs.

Our bigs need to step up defensively on one on one match ups and rebound the ball with better position.

We can be a really good team, but it will start on the defensive end.
jorober18
Junior Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:11 pm

I don't think Fletcher is imposing his will enough....and neither is Cam.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:20 pm

As tight as the competition is playing Fletcher, I don't know how he breathes.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball