THROW THE FOOTBALL!!!! Not hard to see...

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

THROW THE FOOTBALL!!!! Not hard to see...

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:55 pm

James Madison with a similar offensive approach. And a defense not as good as Wofford. Beating North Dakota state at their plaice because they are willing to Throw the ball. PASS THE BALL!!!!
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: THROW THE FOOTBALL!!!! Not hard to see...

Postby youngterrier on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:06 pm

I don't think I've seen them run the option so I don't think they're a 1:1 comparison.

Either way, I like their offense
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:18 pm

Look at their offense. All season. Run heavy. 4th in the nation in running offense.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:08 pm

I've been saying it for years. Most every time I bring it up on here somebody quick to shoot me down. The OC just won't do it. He prefers the fullback dive. That offense may ( not always) get you to the playoffs but it will not win you a NC without some threat of a pass attack.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:41 pm

The OC only does what he does at the direction and with the approval of the head coach. We run Mike Ayers' offense, not Wade Lang's. I suspect a change in offensive philosophy will only happen with Ayers' retirement.

Secondly, this is an option offense; I suspect game management is up to the QB at the time of the play depending on defensive reaction as to which way the ball goes--up the middle, around the end, or even through the air (pitch or even forward pass).
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 pm

If we could throw more effectively than we can run it, we would. The coaches are not intentionally avoiding first downs and keeping points off the board.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:28 pm

Nah........we definitely can throw the ball effectively. But the coaching staff would have to be committed to such. We are fully equipped and completely capabale in all phases to be an efficient passing offense. Great line, quarterbacks that can throw, and receivers that can get open, catch the ball, and make plays after the catch. And with a dominant running attack we gave the complete ability to surprise with the pass.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:37 pm

A few things need to happen first. The line needs to be coached up better concerning pass blocking and We have to send more than one receiver out.

Go TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:59 am

There need not be a change in offensive philosophy. Just pass the ball with a little more regularity as we seem to have abandoned it in the last few years. I certainly don't think we need to become a passing team.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:01 pm

crabbyterrier wrote:A few things need to happen first. The line needs to be coached up better concerning pass blocking and We have to send more than one receiver out.

Go TERRIERS!!!

We have to run the double reverse in order to give our QB protection and the receivers time to get open. Our linemen are big enough and smart enough that that shouldn't be necessary.

The Citadel actually has a decent passing scheme - they don't have the personnel for it, however. If they can get an option QB with an arm, we could be in trouble. On the other hand, we should be able to watch what they do and learn from it.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyal-T-dog on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:46 pm

I have to say that after years of watching our Terriers we are less of an option offense and are in more need of a passing game than ever.

Much of our seemingly option based offense is predetermined hand offs and not left to our QB's eyes to see the defensive balance and simply call the option to the proper side.
Whether under center or in our now predominate shotgun set, all we would need to do is run simple slants, stops, TE releases, etc. with the occasional set ups for wing seam routes and posts.
Nothing fancy and zero check downs with high completion opportunity. Plus the added advantage of defenses even slightly thinking of passes and that slim hesitation helps run blocking and might bust a couple big runs.

I am baffled when we start the season throwing WR screens and/or complete multiple times in a game to the TE then in a playoff game (when the season is on the line) do absolutely nothing.
Throwing 10-15 passes a game is much less of a risk that going for 4th and 2 inside our own 40 and I love that part of Ayers' teams over the years.

Watching the obvious talent #8 possesses at QB hopefully will gear us back to being a true option team with more passes and actually putting our hard working, intelligent young men in a position to win every time they line up.
There is NO reason why we cannot constantly keep the defense guessing and unbalanced every snap regardless of the opponent. Let's be the aggressor!

PLEASE Mr. OC.....call the creative offense our players deserve to out smart, out execute and out score every opponent! We have NOTHING to lose and a National Championship to gain!!!!!!!!!
GO TERRIERS!!!!!!!
Loyal-T-dog
Junior Terrier

Postby WTFan on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:59 pm

Could not agree more Loyal!!! Well said. We've done this in the past so why can't we do it now? We have the defense to win it all if they stay healthy. Hopefully we'll see some improvement in the offensive play calling next season. And please, please, please, don't let the defense tackle our QBs in scrimmages this summer.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:36 pm

I find it more than ironic that while we are wringing our hands and wailing about our inability, dare i say, sheer obstinate refusal to pass the ball, Furman fans are doing the same about running the ball.
We all want to be what we are not, apparently.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:55 pm

I am not sure anyone is saying we should be a balanced run-pass team. What almost everyone is saying is we must have the ability and skill to pass at any time, and use it enough to surprise and keep defenses on their heels. Our coaches appeared to realize that earlier in the season, and it really helped; however, toward the end when we needed a pass play, we would not do it ... it was like picking up a rattlesnake.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby LITTLEGIANTS on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:05 pm

From the Greenville News today..."Hendrix said FU will not abandon the pass but will complement the rushing scheme with explosive downfield throws. This season , AF led bowl subdivision in yards per pass completion. Renowned option teams GaTech, Navy and Army were ranked second, third and fourth, respectively"

This in my opinion is what we are missing, explosive plays where we make teams pay for stacking the box. Other option teams can do it. My guess is we cam too. We have talented enough wideouts to make defensive teams pay. All of those teams have O-lines built to run the hell out of the ball yet they could exploit defenses over committing to stop the run.
LITTLEGIANTS
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football