Sum up the Season

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Sum up the Season

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:18 pm

With every great team and season there are intangibles that those outside the program don't see. I don't think a team can achieve greatness unless it has leadership from within. We had some great senior leaders on this team, and they must have all pulled their weight to make it such a success. I think of Anton Wharby who tried to go today and just couldn't, but limped out for the OT coin toss and stood tall. I think about Will Gay, who made the decision to come back after ruining his knee at Idaho last year. He had a great season going until the OT against The Citadel. Then something happened that is very rare- he got redemption when we beat them in the playoffs. I think about Lorenzo Long, who will blame himself for the fumbled pitch today; but he left it all on the field time after time. How about Jaleel Green, who turned out to be a monster on defense. The hogs on the offensive and defensive lines that gave us so much. Tyler Vaugn, who made us proud in every way. Evan, who must have worked so hard to get himself prepared to suit up one last time. There are so many, and I hate to leave any out. The team will have a great Football Banquet, and the Bosscars will be a tremendous event. Guys, thank you for the fun and entertainment and pride you gave us all. You will always be short haired dogs, who fight for everything right in the world.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: Sum up the Season

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:24 pm

boulder ditto for all of what you said. I am not disappointed in this season. So many things that fans, players and coaches can be proud of. Granted that we could have easily won the game today and should have won too. And even with that thought that we came so close I still am not disappointed because the guys gave it everything they had. So very proud to be a Terrier !!!!! And think of the next three years with JN at QB !!! I cant wait for next year

After thinking a little I thought I would come back and add something. I said I was not disappointed in the season and I will stand by that. However I am disappointed and very much so that we did not win the game today but that is where my disappointment ends. I am disappointed in today's outcome but not the effort. And also I am thinking of the players especially the seniors. Think how they feel. I am sure they are proud but they have to be thinking how close they came. That has to weigh on them and make them feel like they should have won the game. Anyway it has been a great year and this team will be hard to beat for excitement.
Loyalterrier

Postby Ruckus on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:54 am

My only hope is that we somehow figure out how to get that 1 yard we could never get when we really needed it this year.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:25 pm

Ruckus wrote:My only hope is that we somehow figure out how to get that 1 yard we could never get when we really needed it this year.

We've overthought ourselves at times....
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:25 pm

There's a story for every game but I prefer a brief story for the season:

We stood up and fought again, fought again, and fought again
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:59 pm

Just took a stroll through the YSU fan board. Didn't see too much from the ones that were predicting a blowout... Most gave much respect to Wofford and were amazed that we were able to play them straight up without completing a pass. The best quote was "why would a receiver at Wofford go to practice?" Sometimes we wonder that as well.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:36 pm

Ditto b3m!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:22 am

Ruckus wrote:My only hope is that we somehow figure out how to get that 1 yard we could never get when we really needed it this year.

+1. That should be our sweet spot, not a stumbling block. Bring in the earthquake offense, throw a jump pass to the tight end, fake a guy over the top... something! 1 yard should not seem like a mile for one of the country's top rushing teams.

As far as more passing goes, we have shown that we can do it in spots. However, we really seem to struggle to pass protect in those 3rd & long situations and when the other team knows that we have to throw it. I saw a lot of "fire drills" and a lot of balls thrown off the QBs' back foot in those situations.

As I said before this game, we need to tighten up on the snaps, too. High really snaps hurt Marvin several times this season. He is a real weapon and we need to make sure he gets the best chance to score for us.

All in all, very proud of this team. They are true warriors and answered the bell so many times. It seems like our culture of winning may be back. Lots to look forward to with this group.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:50 pm

It has been a long stretch since we have had a season like this one. I am hoping that someone at the school - maybe Terriervision (not sure of name) - would put together a highlight video of the entire season. It would not necessarily have to be one video. There could be three - one for the first six games, another for the last five regular season games and the last one for the playoffs. And put them on YouTube so they would be easily accessible.

Can't wait for next season !!! Go Terriers !!!!
Loyalterrier

Return to Football