Youngstown State

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Youngstown State

Postby Ruckus on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:30 am

Read: underestimation. Just like everyone else.
I will take my chances and finish the journey to the frozen north, you know, just to see what happens. ;)
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:19 am

boulder3m wrote:Hold on guys; no need to take the long drive up to Ohio! This one is over early, according to the YSU writer. They will jump on us early, hit a couple of long throws and then we have no chance. I'd save the gas, guys, and maybe go to a movie on Saturday afternoon.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/08/p ... ?newswatch

I'm not saying it's impossible that his prediction comes true, but I will say that's a pretty elementary take of looking at the stats. No mention of our defense, no mention of our option either.

I have no idea about the academic standards of YSU, but at Wofford such little research and analysis when presenting an argument would not get you an A...
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:07 am

Youngstown State has very low academic standards. Part of the reason they are good in football is because they admit athletes that cannot qualify elsewhere. They depend heavily on FBS transfers that are doing poorly academically at their school.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:18 am

For entertainment purposes only: (Sportsbet.com predicts:)

Wofford at Youngstown State - FCS Playoffs - Quarterfinals;12/10/2016, 02:00 PM (EST)
Wofford +7
Youngstown State -7
Over 33½ -120
Under 33½ -12
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:02 am

Wofford -...... GSR - 94....... APR - 986
Richmond - ..........82................985
JMU - .................75................950
NDSU - ................73................951
SDSU - ................68................955
EWU - .................65................955
YSU - ..................65................935
SHSU - .................59................938
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby lawdog on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:06 am

Nice Associated Press article showing up in papers across the land. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/team-adver ... ncaaf.html
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:28 am

And yet another one:

http://www.endzonescore.com/fcs-quarter ... view/54247

I'd say we got 'em right where we want them!

From the YSU fan site-they appear very concerned about the return of a defensive end. Since all the writers and pundits think we have no scoring ability and run some gimmicky offense I wonder why they are concerned with the return of their DE? He appears not to be needed against such an inept group as ours.

By the way, YSU is a good state university in a state that is pretty healthy in many ways. It provides a good, strong education for the children of the citizens of Ohio, and has educated a number of highly successful folks over the years. I think we should appreciate the state universities for what they are, and not denigrate them. There are probably a number of well educated engineers and professional folks in our own backyard that graduated from YSU.

Hey Ruck-given what you know are you guys still going to waste your time? Are the pants going with you?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:46 pm

To be clear I wasn't intending to knock YSU academics, rather I was intending to take a shot at his bad argument. He basically cherry picked one data point, failed to contextualize it, and in effect picked a big W. again, he could be right. My point is that the evidence suggests otherwise. It would be one thing if he put forth a weak argument and predicted a close one, but that's not the case.

This is basically like arguing how many angels could dance on the head of a pin, I don't care what a random writer thinks, I just expect better insight from pundits (especially when I can google stats by myself) especially from someone who follows a team we don't play much
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:39 pm

I wasn't trying to degrade YSU either. We have all kinds of people in the country and we need all kinds pf schools. I'm sure there are many fine students and alumni of YSU. I was just pointing out that their football team benefits from FBS transfers due to their lower standards, unlike Wofford. We are more limited on who we can recruit and get admitted into our school and must be more thoughtful and creative. But as far as this game goes, I don't think that will make a difference. We have assembled an extremely stout and confident defense that is playing its best football of the season right now and we have an offense they are not used to seeing. Joe Newman is a sparkplug- I love that guy and hope we see a lot of him tomorrow. Not that Goodson can't do the job IF he's healthy though...I WILL admit that I would be hesitant to use EJ a lot in such an important game given that he hasn't played all season and he's likely still not 100%, but that's just me. Finally, we are on a mission!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:07 pm

Does anyone know who our designated 60 players for this game will be? Are Goodson and Evan Jacks even up there with the team? How 'bout the Swede? I just wonder when the roster has to be completed. Since the NCAA won't even pay for anyone not in the 60 I would think that list has to be submitted relatively early in the week.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Evan jacks dressed. Brandon dressed.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:29 pm

I know it is early but BG is SLO's and tentative. Why is Joe not playing?
I hope this doesn't come back to bite us.
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Interception! +2 on turnovers in the first quarter.

Was YSU overconfident coming in?
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:36 pm

BG is not sharp. Bad reads and slow. Defense is strong but we will need some 0 today
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Our defense is lights out! But our offense can be very frustrating to watch at times. It just doesn't seem to be as effective as it once was. I hope to see Newman at some point today.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football