Youngstown State

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Youngstown State

Postby boulder3m on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:38 am

You can't make us a story like this football season and have anyone in their right mind believe it. There are folks with very faint Wofford ties all over the football world who know and are amazed. Lots of big time coaches, etc very quietly rooting for us. My guess is that some players from the recent past may show up in Youngstown. By the way, forecast is for sunny with a temp around freezing at game time. Football weather!!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:02 pm

As many Ohio connections as Wofford football has had over the years, I will be surprised not to see a contingent there from that part of the world.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:45 pm

With the Ohio connections on our current roster, including coaches, they are likely to give it a little extra this week. Ohio has been good to the SHD's!
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:53 pm

There is most certainly a movie opportunity out of this season. Of course the suspense and character of the story gets deeper as we go deeper in the playoffs. So.........I say lets go take care of the fighting Pelini's and get to the Final 4........but just on a totally different note, if EV were to have a Willis Reed moment that helped lead to a win, the emotions would be crazy.....all that to be said, lets go take care of business.....I am under the belief the starter would be Brandon Goodson until he cannot go, then Joe once again in relief......

Boy that reverse package could sure be interesting with Evan in one of the slots.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:56 pm

http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... redictions

I just love it when they pick us to lose. If I'm not mistaken, I think Haley may have picked us to lose twice already in the playoffs. Since we, the die hard fans, don't know what to expect from the QB spot, it is fun to think of what YSU is having to deal with right now!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:10 pm

I seriously doubt there is much stress or worry by YSU over who we put under center. While the relative skill set may differ a tad, the offense won't change much at all.
EJ at a slot or RB creates all kinds of possibilities, doesn't it?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:16 pm

boulder3m wrote:http://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-football-quarterfinal-round-playoff-games-and-predictions

I just love it when they pick us to lose. If I'm not mistaken, I think Haley may have picked us to lose twice already in the playoffs. Since we, the die hard fans, don't know what to expect from the QB spot, it is fun to think of what YSU is having to deal with right now!

whew...I am relieved...Haley picks us to lose again. That is the third week in a row.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:51 pm

When they start picking us to win, then we will get worried!! Ultimate underdogs!!
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:16 pm

I said it last week and it turned out somewhat correct:

Look for creative personnel packages this week. Especially with Evan possibly playing.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:33 pm

We are going to Frisco. There I said it. It will happen. Our guys have already weathered so many storms. And according to the Word; hardships produce perseverance and perseverance produces victory! Something like that. Go SHDs
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:58 pm

Loyalterrier

Postby mudrat43 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:47 pm

As incredible as it may sound, in my observation, the Terrier defense has gotten better in the last few weeks. No one looking into the following wks of play wants to get face-to-face with that crowd, trust me, its true. Who ever said a couple of days ago that YSU will probably throw it around more against us, is probably right. They had tremendous success vs JSU last week....11 of 19 passes for 315yds. Don't know how much of that was yds after the catch, but that's pretty eye opening. However, Pelini may want to go mano-y-mano to prove a point......can you say "bug meets windshield"? Not gonna succeed! The SHD's have to smash 'em in the beaks early on and get them into their "plan B". I promise you that if we get on them quick and hard, they won't be around late!......WOF 24 YSU 17.....!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:01 am

Ruckus wrote:I hesitate to say this but.........with all of the adversity, near catastrophic injuries this team has faced and overcome, it's beginning to feel almost destined in some way.
I realize this may be a bit of an overstatement but just a growing feeling I have.

I've felt the same way since the CSU win. I was unusually calm last Saturday with a deep seeded expectation of victory which is rare for me. This week offers new challenges; long road trip into the unknown, colder weather, another crack at a MVFC team, unfamiliar opponent, etc.

The Terriers still have to win two more games to get somewhere they haven't been which means a win at YSU and then probably a cross country trip to beat #2 Eastern Washington on the red carpet. Then, until someone proves otherwise, you are going to have to deal with #1 NDSU in Frisco. Talk about running a gauntlet.

I'm not ready to say that destiny is being cast, but the simmering feeling is flickering a little. A win this weekend would serve some notice, but it's still going to be survive and advance. We've been playing with house money for awhile now, but I like our odds to keep a step or two ahead of fate. As long as our guys stay grounded and businesslike, then there isn't anyone we can play with and if you let the Terriers hang around until the 4th quarter, then anything can happen.

A little dog with unending fight is one thing, but a little dog with unending fight and supreme confidence is more.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:09 pm

Hold on guys; no need to take the long drive up to Ohio! This one is over early, according to the YSU writer. They will jump on us early, hit a couple of long throws and then we have no chance. I'd save the gas, guys, and maybe go to a movie on Saturday afternoon.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/08/p ... ?newswatch
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:17 pm

yeah, I saw that earlier courtesy of a tweet from the beloved Mr. Haley.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football