Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Youngstown State

Postby crabbyterrier on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:29 pm

Ruckus wrote:Hampton Inn in Boardman near residence inn and holiday inn

Reservation made at Hampton Inn on Tiffany! Looking forward to it!!!

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:46 pm

We have a Southland Conference officiating crew. Are they anywhere worth a crap?
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby boulder3m on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:53 pm

Is the team flying or driving? When do they leave?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Team leaves Thursday afternoon early. Flying.
No clue about Southland officials.
Have heard that Jacks has been cleared this week to play. Have also heard Goodson intends to play. We shall see.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Ruckus wrote:YSU is no joke; we will need to play our best game of the year in hostile freezing conditions. Biggest test so far.
As long as there is life left in its little body.......

I agree that YSU is an elite team and may be the best team we've faced so far. That being said, their results so far aren't that dissimilar from ours. They fared a little better in their FBS game and a little worse in their two conference losses, although the level of NDSU and SDSU exceeds El Cid and Samford. Other than that, the only thing that stands out to me is their increase in offensive production of there the last several weeks. Some of that is likely the opponents tempo since both Samford and JSU like to speed up the game, but clearly they have things clicking. I'm not saying Wofford is equal or better, but overall, their body of work isn't drastically more impressive.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:54 pm

Fwiw Evan has been practicing with the team. He's cleared
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:00 am

And I'll say this. Wofford shouldn't look up at anyone. There isn't a "better" or a "closer" team than ours. Youngstown is a benefactor of many D1 transfers and doesn't have the same Academic standards of Wofford or the socon in general. But that being said, it doesn't matter, THEY SIMPLY HAVENT PLAYED WOFFORD. I've read all the discussions and rap spewed, and the fact that no one respects Wofford doesn't bother me, it amuses me. I can't wait for the ball to kickoff and we lock in on their tails and they have to deal with this team....win or loss they will know they played the Wofford TERRIERS.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:41 am

So wait...we went from one QB to three QB in a week.

Nice.

Rooting that Evan gets a snap in.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:23 am

I'd love it if EV was confident enough in his knee to give it a go again. For all that kid has dealt with, if he came back and helped spark a continued deep run.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:02 am

I heard EJ had been running non contact drills with great team for a few weeks but was officially cleared medically for unlimited participation this week. Now what this means in terms of game planning and playing time, who knows? First, this is a very unusual/freakish recovery from a serious knee injury. And a lot goes into return to play other than simply being cleared; his comfort/confidence in trusting it mentally; more importantly, his timing at QB on the option and making throws. I would think he has to be rusty after a 4 month lay off.
Again, knowing our coaches, I would be surprised to see us play him unless Goodson and Newman have issues. (Heck, apparently they had a lot of trepidation playing him when he was 100% healthy much less now).
Personally, I would like us to ride Newman unless Goodson is pretty close to 100%. I don't think we can afford a few "let's see how this feels" series to feel it out. I want us to come out attacking them from the jump.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:01 am

Here is a great chance to have EJ get extremely comfortable with a few things that introduce surprise or change of pace at crucial times.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:00 am

It would be great for Evan to get a belated start to his senior season. He's certainly deserving, but from where he's been just being active and suiting up is a major accomplishment. Wofford has a football game to win so the coaches are certainly more interested in fielding the best 11 and not making memories. I agree that Newman should start unless Goodson is pretty close to 100%.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:02 am

Absolutely staggered that EJ is back. Not that long ago his injuries were career ending. Even after the surgery was better it was a year or more to return. Regardless of whether he can play, the fact that he is back in uniform is great for him and the team. Then for Brandon to be back after a high ankle sprain is almost as rare. If we can slip each one in for a series or so it will be a great change up against a team that knows very little about us. YSU now has to go back through a bunch of film and figure out what to do if either of the other two QB's comes into the game. We're now getting into a "World Series" pitching position, in which the regular starters become relievers and we have to throw whatever we can at them. Just knowing we have competent backup on the bench is a BIG deal.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:31 am

Very glad to hear EJ has recovered so quickly and agree that the deeper we are, the better. Is anyone else worried about the dilemma this creates for our coaches? You've now got EJ, 5th year senior leader and starter headed into the season; BG who has stepped in and led us well for most of the season and through this current win streak; and JN who provided us with a huge spark and W in Charleston last week. Who starts? Who gets most of the snaps this week? Who is the first guy off the bench? It's definitely a better problem than trying to figure out whether our HB can play QB, but in years past, we have not always thrived with the whole QB rotation scenario (e.g. the old looking for the hot hand approach). I agree it can be a great opportunity to throw in a change of pace, but I just hope we don't get too mired down in trying to work all three guys in and get away from what has gotten us this far.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:23 am

+1
I see EJ as an insurance policy at this point. If (a big if) BG is good to go and close to 100%, he gets the start IMO. If not close to 100%, JN is the guy. If JN runs into issues or BG can't be effective because of the HAS, then EJ.
I can tell you all these guys want to play and believe they can get it done. Whether that works out to be the case is another issue altogether.
But what a story this would make if EJ comes in under any scenario and leads us to a win. It's a great story just to make it back.
You're right, Boulder. Unbelievable.
I hesitate to say this but.........with all of the adversity, near catastrophic injuries this team has faced and overcome, it's beginning to feel almost destined in some way.
I realize this may be a bit of an overstatement but just a growing feeling I have.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football