Youngstown State

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Youngstown State

Postby Ruckus on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:57 am

I love our position right now. Everybody betting against us and underestimating our abilities. This is our sweet spot. We have always relished the underdog role and have performed best when no one/very few expects us to succeed against larger/faster/better opponents. THIS is Terrier football at its best.
They have all of 5-6 days to scheme us on both sides of the ball. Make no mistake, they will, as most do, look at our film and see us a well-coached/fundamentally sound yet physically limited (read: small and slow) team. They don't play the option and they don't see our "odd ball" 50 defense. They are at home and will be VERY confident heading into this game. This all adds up as a positive scenario for us.
I am worried about our injuries (Warhby, Goodson, Green (had another shoulder issue Sat. night), Brown (has been a little gimpy since FU), DWilson (knee issue in CSU game), etc.). I am worried about Newman stepping up and no depth behind him (Colvin hasn't played QB in 4 years).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 6190
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:12 pm
Location: God's Country

Re: Youngstown State

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:28 pm

All those would-be prognosticators on Any Given Saturday don't know crap about our program. They haven't seen our defense in action. They don't know just how good our "fourth straight quarterback" is...they just assume he is bad because he is a fourth string quarterback. They have no idea or understanding of the depth of this team. The have no idea or understanding of the heart, drive, determination, or togetherness of this team. They have not thought things out and realized that a forecast for bad weather favors a grind it out team that wins with rushing and defense like ours over a team that throws the ball a lot more and tries to outscore you like YSU. So you'll have to excuse them.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 am

Re: Youngstown State

Postby T-Dog 4 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:37 pm

Ruckus wrote:I love our position right now. Everybody betting against us and underestimating our abilities. This is our sweet spot. We have always relished the underdog role and have performed best when no one/very few expects us to succeed against larger/faster/better opponents. THIS is Terrier football at its best.
They have all of 5-6 days to scheme us on both sides of the ball. Make no mistake, they will, as most do, look at our film and see us a well-coached/fundamentally sound yet physically limited (read: small and slow) team. They don't play the option and they don't see our "odd ball" 50 defense. They are at home and will be VERY confident heading into this game. This all adds up as a positive scenario for us.
I am worried about our injuries (Warhby, Goodson, Green (had another shoulder issue Sat. night), Brown (has been a little gimpy since FU), DWilson (knee issue in CSU game), etc.). I am worried about Newman stepping up and no depth behind him (Colvin hasn't played QB in 4 years).


+1. I do hope we get some of those guys back & healthy though.Lord help us if we lose another QB.... What do we know about Colvin as a TO QB ?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: The Far Right

Re: Youngstown State

Postby youngterrier on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Well there was speculation of a potential Evan Jacks return if we made a deep enough run in the playoffs. I imagine you would have to physically restrain him from the field if we made it far enough and he was healthy enough
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
User avatar
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 am

Re: Youngstown State

Postby lawdog on Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:22 pm

Nick was a very solid HS QB. And he has a lot of experience in our offense. Also good to hear about Evan.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 6095
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:22 pm
Location: NC

Re: Youngstown State

Postby WTFan on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:06 pm

I heard some talk Saturday night that we could possibly see Evan Jacks on the field this weekend.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Youngstown State

Postby T-Dog 4 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:10 pm

I wondered about that, but given how a lot of our offense is dependent on timing, wouldn't Evan be a bit rusty... unless he's been practicing and getting some reps? He definitely knows our O better than anyone. Just curious on whether a rusty and possibly not 100% healthy EJ would be a better option than an untested but healthy Colvin
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: The Far Right

Re: Youngstown State

Postby Ruckus on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:29 pm

I don't know first hand but Jacks may not be on the 60 man playoff roster (wasn't he in the stands v CSU?). So I don't think that he is a viable option behind Newman.
Plus we don't know about Goodson's ankle sprain. High ankle sprains are hard to predict/gauge. Goodson could be back this week but may not be either. I know several players who have been battling HASs for several weeks.
Colvin was a TO QB (and DB) in high school and came in to camp as a F and ran some QB until he was switched to HB. His film looked darn good to me as I recall.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 6190
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:12 pm
Location: God's Country

Re: Youngstown State

Postby WTFan on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Regardless, I think it's the Freshman's offense to run this weekend. Go win it #8!!
WTFan
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Youngstown State

Postby walliver on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:37 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:All those would-be prognosticators on Any Given Saturday don't know crap about our program. They haven't seen our defense in action. They don't know just how good our "fourth straight quarterback" is...they just assume he is bad because he is a fourth string quarterback. They have no idea or understanding of the depth of this team. The have no idea or understanding of the heart, drive, determination, or togetherness of this team. They have not thought things out and realized that a forecast for bad weather favors a grind it out team that wins with rushing and defense like ours over a team that throws the ball a lot more and tries to outscore you like YSU. So you'll have to excuse them.


AGS has become over-run with MVFC fanboys pulling for the MVFC teams.
User avatar
walliver
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Transylvania

Re: Youngstown State

Postby youngterrier on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:11 pm

I would give Newman the start just because you don't want to push Goodson back in the fold too fast, especially since Newman gave us such a good spark last week.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
User avatar
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 am

Re: Youngstown State

Postby Ruckus on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Just made my reservations. LG and Ruckus will be in The Ice Castle.
Wonder if roasted penguin tastes like chicken?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 6190
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:12 pm
Location: God's Country

Re: Youngstown State

Postby T-Dog 4 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:57 pm

Ruckus wrote:Just made my reservations. LG and Ruckus will be in The Ice Castle.
Wonder if roasted penguin tastes like chicken?



It's a fish eater so I'm betting it's more like merganser... you will need more than a nice bourbon to wash it down.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: The Far Right

Re: Youngstown State

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Ruckus wrote:Just made my reservations. LG and Ruckus will be in The Ice Castle.
Wonder if roasted penguin tastes like chicken?


YT and I will be there too.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
User avatar
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Cayce, SC

Re: Youngstown State

Postby crabbyterrier on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:52 pm

Ruckus wrote:Just made my reservations. LG and Ruckus will be in The Ice Castle.
Wonder if roasted penguin tastes like chicken?


What airport are you flying into?
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
User avatar
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 11:45 pm
Location: The Beach

PreviousNext

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests