It's Furman Week

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: It's Furman Week

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:21 pm

The bodies of work by the two teams so far would indicate that Wofford has the edge, but for the Terriers, Furman is different. No matter what Wofford has, Furman always seems to be a tough opponent. I don't know if its a mental block, or if Furman's coaches have some insight into Wofford's game plans, or what (they might even be sacrificing Boston Terriers over there), but for some reason Wofford struggles against Furman, especially in Greenville. I hope this year is different, but Furman's team is playing to find some sort of positive for their season and I'm sure their coaches are feeling the heat so I think they will come very motivated to stick it to Wofford. Personally, I never exhale against Furman until the game is over and I suspect this one will be no different.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:30 am

Agree. Furman has won two straight, handling VMI easily. Their QB is passing well and their run game is improved. So is their D. They will likely play well.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby LITTLEGIANTS on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:20 am

Furman will complete more than 2 out of every three passes, everybody else does, which keeps our offense off the field. We never play well in Travelers Rest. Ayers is 7-15-1 against purple (we have fared better against Ga. Southern 7-11 as a point of reference). These predictions of large margins of victory, while I wish them to be true are unlikely. I will be ECSTATIC, maybe amazed, if we win by even one point.
LITTLEGIANTS
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:39 am

Hey Ill oblige the Furman poster looking to discuss the game. Let's discuss me saying systematic beating of Furman since you felt some type of way about it, sensitive and what not. The systematic portion of this discussion had very little to do with referencing Furman actually. It was more an indictment of 2 levels of play in the SoCon THIS SEASON. There is El Cid, Chatty, Sammy and Wofford........and then there is the second tier this season of which Furman unfortunately falls this season. Now, folks can point to yesteryear and discuss the history of Furman winning against Wofford if that makes you feel better. The case and point of this season is the shear fact that Wofford is clearly the better team between the 2. And the way this Wofford team is built, will not allow for such past misgivings to play a role on Saturday. Need proof....cool lets do that.

Wofford is 8th in the Nation in Scoring Defense. Wofford is a surly, stubborn defense that just does not give up a bunch of points. How do they do that? well they do that with the NAtions
3rd ranked Total Defense. Which is built on STOPPING THE RUN, my bad, SHUTTING THE RUN DOWN. And they do that with the NAtions 2nd ranked Rush Defense.
Also mixed in there, Wofford is 9th in the NAtion in opponents 1st downs.......So even when teams resort to an aerial attack, its still not yielding long and fruitful drives.

Now, when we have the ball, Wofford is who Wofford is. Wofford currently 5th in the nation in rushing offense. We grind you with a very good O line, one of the best nationally, and we control the clock with the Nations #1 time of possession team. The wrinkle with this Wofford offense is the actual ability to throw the ball very efficiently. With the Tight Ends and Receivers being effective when called upon especially as teams try and stack the box.

And when the Offense stalls, and we are forced to punt, Wofford currently is ranked 1st NAtionally in NET Punting, meaning we flip the field very effectively. Wofford also has one of the best field goal kickers in the SoCon if not NAtionally in David Marvin, who hsa booted a 57 yard field goal, a 56 yard field goal, and just missed a 70 yard field goal by a hair at the first game of the season. And it was plenty long, missed just left.

Now.....let's compare like Stats.

Wofford Points for on the season 233
Furman Points for on the season 201

Wofford Points Against on the season 137
Furman points against on the season 216

We also share a couple common opponents that are worth mentioning

we both blasted ETSU....although Wofford did not allow ETSU past the midfield the entire game. Literally

we both lost to El Cid.....Furman lost 19-14 in a very good game, albeit Dom Allen the Citadel QB hardly played for Citadel and he is a key cog to their team.
We lost to El Cid by a field goal, in a game Wofford completely dominated, from whistle to whistle and came up short in OT....some very bad miscues on our part led to our demise.

We both lost to Sammy. Furman lost 38-21 by 17 points........Wofford lost by 2 in another game that Wofford controlled and really lost a nailbiter by self inflicted wounds with penalties. 28-26 was the score

Obviously this is a rivalry that Furman has largely controlled over the years and that cannot be totally overlooked. And Greenville hasnt been overly friendly to Wofford over the years as Furman has defended its turf against us very well. All that to be said........When you add it all up, Furman will have a difficult time in moving the ball effectively against Wofford. Furman can throw the ball, and do it well with those really good receivers, but Furman is a traditional SoCon team built on a foundation of running. And quite simply, no one can run the ball effectively against this Defense. No one. Woford's defense is as dominant a team as their is in the SoCOn....Sammy's passing offense would be close IMO.

I am sure Furman will throw the kitchen sink at us, and would love nothing more than to say "at least we beat Wofford...' unfortunately we are playing for a lot more right now and this team focuses on the business at hand. Wofford will handle Furman much like Sammy did, much like Chatt did........Wofford 28 Furman 17. The results will be much like last season, but with much less offense.

Hopefully thats some good info for you to chew on, and I look forward to the discussion going forward.
Last edited by 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:46 am

Furthermore not a player or coach is overlooking this game. Seeing we have to win EACH AND EVERY GAME LEFT to have a shot at the playoffs this game is the most important on the schedule currently. And the team is approaching it as such, no one is looking at the 2-6 record.......this is simply the next business stop to handle ours. I love our D line against any O line in the country. Size, speed, skill and depth. A full 2 deep with a piece of a 3rd depth of angry, hostile large humans ready to attack and get after it.

The best offense against us has been to dink and dunk the passing game ala Sammy, and when they were frustrated at their lack of being able to run the ball or connect deep. Furman isn't nearly as effective passing as Samford. They are a balanced pro style offense that likes to establish the run. Wofford will be dialed in making Furman one dimensional. Can they be effective enough with that one dimension??? I don't think so.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:39 pm

POETRY, 19T, sheer poetry.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:55 pm

If we're going to talk stats, it is true that the home team has been the victor in every contest since 2008.

It's also worth noting that, overall, most of those outing weren't upsets. A couple come to mind: 2011 an average to decent Furman team beat a good Wofford team. In 2014 a bad Furman team beat a .500 Wofford team (I get 2013 and 2014 confused because we played back to back due to scheduling changes; one of those teams was a playoff furman team against a .500 wofford team, the other the one I described).

If you look at how each team has played in the last 10 years or so:
2007: Wofford blowout
2008: Wofford blowout
2009: Furman blowout
2010: Wofford blowout
2011: Furman upset
2012: Solid Wofford win over a decent Furman team
2013: Solid Furman win over a .500 Wofford team
2014: "upset" Furman win over a .500 Wofford team
2015: too evenly matched "so-so" teams, Wofford won and somewhat controlled the game, never trailed (I think).

So, in short, Wofford has won 5 of the last 9, but only 3 of the last 7. In that stretch, two of them were solid upsets, but only one was against a good, playoff caliber or even bubble team. In fact, Furman has only beaten us twice in that stretch when we had a winning record, and one of those years we had a winning record we were 4-5 against D1 competition.

So yeah, a lot of people want to talk about how Ayers is jinxed against Furman in Greenville, but it really depends on an abundance of other factors beyond just where the game is played. He's had bad luck in Greenville, sure, but it's not like a systemic failure as a coach. Pre-2008, Furman had our number as the state of their program was much better than us. today that isn't the case.

At this point that with all this in mind, that doesn't mean Wofford will saturday. Perhaps our bad luck will continue. My point is, it depends on how you contextualize the data and in this case "the game is played in Greenville-->Furman will win" or "no furman coach has a losing record against Wofford-->Furman win" isn't necessarily sustained. A better indicator is (obviously) A. how good is Wofford and B. how good is Furman.

I think absolute best case scenario for Furman, they have to play mistake free football ala 2011. Wofford's offense (much to the naysayers on here) is better than it's been since 2011/2012 (provided we don't turn it over). To beat Wofford, Furman is going to have to pound it with the run, be very efficient with the pass game, and get some turnovers. Looking at that 2011 game, Wofford threw 2 picks, Furman went 9-11 through the air, didn't turn the ball over, and both teams piled on 200 yards rushing.

I don't see Furman doing that. The alternative approach is to lean heavily on the pass, which they did both in 2013 and 2014. In both instances they benefited off turnovers from Wofford though, and I think this team is clearly better on both sides of the ball. Either way, in 2013 Reese Hannon threw for 300 yards, while Wofford turned the ball 3 times. Furman only ran for 91 yards or so In 2014 Furman was perfect 15-15 through the air.

In short, I think Wofford will be able to get pressure and stop the run, while being able to score enough points to win offensively (again provided no turnover). We couldn't do that in the years we lost.

Now, I could be wrong about all of this. Games are played on the field and stats only give us reasons to forecast certain outcomes, but just because someone forecasts them doesn't mean it will happen. I do know that at the FCS Socon level the noise of social media and fandom are inconsequential and un-indicative of how the team approaches things. I can be confident in how the team will play and it doesn't reflect how the team is approaching it. At big FBS schools that isn't the case because everyone is so immersed in media noise. We benefit from that not being the case in the Socon.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:10 pm

LG, unfortunately I am completely with you. Nothing matters except that it is Furman and we have stunk the place up when we needed to win there. If our team and our coaches don't have their heads screwed on real tight and straight they will come home with their tails tucked tightly between their legs. This is the most important game of the season right now, and without it our hopes come to a screeching halt.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:33 pm

Media lunch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivzslXY6JiA

Game notes http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/a ... tes_16.pdf

MA said in he media lunch that a few players got nicked up but the game notes say there were no significant injuries.

Seems like this game is another one that will be won at the LOS. And on both sides of the ball. If we don't pressure and/or sack their QB enough then it could be a long day because their QB is an effective and experienced passer. And on the O side if their D disrupts our O enough at the LOS then.... But I am confident that the Terriers will come out on O and D controlling the LOS enough so that we come out with a W. Our DL guys seem too quick, too strong and just too good to be ineffective in this game. Same for the OL.

Go TERRIERS !!!!!!!!!!
Loyalterrier

Postby gofurman on Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:05 am

My thoughts to some posts above... I do think Wofford is the better team. There I said it. I am nothing if not objective.

However, it's about matchup as well as talent. I watched some of your win v Mercer and I noted that Hauser even said that Mercer did as good a job stoping the option as most anyone in FCS yet. That's because Furman has seen that O more than many coaches v you, Citadel and GSU. And thus Lamb can coach against the triple option

That applies to Fowler and co too. Thus why no FU coach has a losing record v Wofford (in part at least). Our coaches have seen that offense more than many. Also, we played Citadel well because we had our two best linebackers in. Yes, their qb situation was iffy but it was in Chucktown. Without those linebackers Sammy etc killed us. They are back - Rider and Johnson. They have seen the option probably 7 times by now as Senior. That's a help. It's in Greenville. That helps some. But more than that we have basically abandoned our typical run offense for a pass-first offense based on personnel. I don't like it but it works better to survive this year. And I know you have a great D but you are stellar v the run and ok v the pass so our passing helps. Hannon has over 300 yards passing in each of the past five consecutive games I think ... Our horrible O is finally coming around because we are changing to pass first. We are not Samford. They do it better but we are decent w Gordon and Suttles. Also, we do run Hannon now which appears to be the one small chink in your run D..? A running qb

All that said you all are more talented and have had a better year. I would guess If we had played your schedule we are probably 4-4 beating ETSU, Johnsin C Smith, TTU, and maybe Western. We have been through Citadel, Chatt, Sammy, Michigan state and FBS Coastal.

A few matchups do favor us. In short we have shown that we CAN stop the option if we show up motivated and that we will throw 2/3 of plays if needed. But you all should be more talented and want this game for possible postseason !

A weird one that favors you is your FG kicker has been doing so well and that's not a typical Woff strength. I have seen Woff miss 34 yd FGs and then not attempt another FG in the past. Ayers clearly has a lot of faith in this guy. What's odd is our guy hit a 55 yarder to beat Central Florida last year and was doing great etc but seems to have lost confidence this year and is 3/9' I think. Horrible. Horrid. I think FG is like golf. Highly mental. My two cents
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:06 pm

Nothing in this thread matters except Beat the Barnies / Furples / or any other name one wants to bestow upon the Tree Huggers
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Ruckus on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:00 pm

+1
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:55 pm

Well, well, I don't know where some of these aforementioned stats come from, but here it is:

Total yard per game.....WOF 372.8 FUR 384.2
Time of possession...... WOF 35.2 FUR 31.2
Avg yds per play..... WOF 5.4 FUR 5.7
Penalties per game..... WOF 59 yds. FUR 43 yds.
Points per game........ WOF 29.3 FUR 25.1
Punting avg. yds........ WOF 47.1 FUR 47.2

Throw out Ole Miss and MSU, early on we thumped all the bottom feeders, ergo our winning record, they got thumped by the big boys, ergo their losing record. Now comes the real test heads-up. Yeah, everything starts on the LOS, I think we are a bit better (so far ). The rub here (and has always been) they throw it more than they run it...we're better against the run than the pass. We'll be tested mightily in our secondary, but we'll whack-em on the run. They're more Jekyll and Hyde than us, so who knows which one shows. One things for sure, they want to beat our collective brains out....big time!! Don't think they get it done.....the SHDs snarl and bite like crazy.....we double 'em up 34-17.
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:40 pm

One thing worth mentioning We changed QBs a few weeks ago. Look at our offense since then Vastly improved. Far more pass-oriented. I am almost sure,we have passed for 300+ y since Hannon started about 4 games ago. I'll check. Scores on offense have gone way up. Granted, competition has come down ! But the eye test says our O is way better w Hannon throwing and so,we have gone with that. I'll get a few numbers.
Our D was good v run most all year - KSU the huge exception. Pass D can be shaky.

Will say you mention ETSU never crossed mid-field. We played a 'perfect game on O v ETSU. 9 offensive possessions No punts. 7 TDs. One late fg. Knelt to end game. 52-7. Heck, even Michigan state and FBS punt when playing us. I assume that means we made every third down???

Blaze. V MSU 13 pts. V Citadel 14 points. V Chatt. 14 pt. - tougher road for sure
hannon. V Coastal 21. V kennesaw 42. V Samford 21. V ETSU 52. V vmi 24. Hard to gauge. Easier comp but much better offensive output. Definitely more throwing though.

Fu Passing yards per game -
V MSU. 139. Blaze
V Citadel. 202. Blaze
V Chatt 196. Blaze
V Coastal. 300. Hannon
V kennesaw state. 386. Hannon
Sammy. 301. Hannon
Etsu. 313. Hannon
VMI. 291. Hannon

Definite trend up here in passing yards and points. Since Hannon came back. I grant that he has faced easier comp. no doubt.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:57 am

gofurman wrote:One thing worth mentioning We changed QBs a few weeks ago. Look at our offense since then Vastly improved. Far more pass-oriented. I am almost sure,we have passed for 300+ y since Hannon started about 4 games ago. I'll check. Scores on offense have gone way up. Granted, competition has come down ! But the eye test says our O is way better w Hannon throwing and so,we have gone with that. I'll get a few numbers.
Our D was good v run most all year - KSU the huge exception. Pass D can be shaky.

Will say you mention ETSU never crossed mid-field. We played a 'perfect game on O v ETSU. 9 offensive possessions No punts. 7 TDs. One late fg. Knelt to end game. 52-7. Heck, even Michigan state and FBS punt when playing us. I assume that means we made every third down???

Blaze. V MSU 13 pts. V Citadel 14 points. V Chatt. 14 pt. - tougher road for sure
hannon. V Coastal 21. V kennesaw 42. V Samford 21. V ETSU 52. V vmi 24. Hard to gauge. Easier comp but much better offensive output. Definitely more throwing though.

Fu Passing yards per game -
V MSU. 139. Blaze
V Citadel. 202. Blaze
V Chatt 196. Blaze
V Coastal. 300. Hannon
V kennesaw state. 386. Hannon
Sammy. 301. Hannon
Etsu. 313. Hannon
VMI. 291. Hannon

Definite trend up here in passing yards and points. Since Hannon came back. I grant that he has faced easier comp. no doubt.

These are good, relevant numbers, and I may have to revise my prediction/forecast.

Worth analyzing Furman's playcalling. In a lot of these games they were down by a couple scores or played inferior competition, so they had to pass more or were more effective of it. Wofford isn't likely to go up big on Furman, just out of our style of play, so it'll be a different game all together. With that said, Hannon is clearly the guy for Furman
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football