FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: BEAT EL CID

Postby Loyalterrier on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Loyalterrier

Postby mudrat43 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:20 pm

All things being equal (and they are), I think the Terriers are one special teams step better than Cid. With that, WOF 27 El Cid 24!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:16 am

I am scared of their punt return against our not so solid punt return defense. I don't think they will do much against us up the middle but I do worry about their speed on the edges. If we don't put the ball on the ground and avoid penalties, I think we win a close one. We'll see in about 12 hours. Get ready for one of the shortest games of the year.

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:14 am

It's game day! Let's go you short haired dogs!
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:15 am

It's a perfect day for a ground attack football game! The only thing that will slow the clock is TV Timeouts!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Not in Spartanburg today :( but watching intently on WatchESPN. Traded punts to start the game. Defense looked good.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:29 pm

If we make good yardage every time we go outside, but get stuffed inside, then why do we keep running it inside? Our D is fantastic.Wilson is a beast at LB, and our whole D is staying at home and playing their positions.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Fumble as we were driving in overtime (our fourth turnover) seals it. Too darn bad. Very proud of our guys.

Need to win out to get in. We can do it with these guys.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:00 pm

Our defense was unbelievable. This may end up being the best defensive team at Wofford. We just make some really questionable calls on offense. Cit was close to batting the long pitch on the short side several times. Why can't the coaching staff see that and avoid letting it happen? Goodson is a our third QB doing what he can. He is not as quick as some with his moves and pitches, so why not identify this deficiency and either correct it or play with that understanding? We have SO much talent, but we tend to not use it. What about our really fast guys-did they ever touch the ball? Man, we have such a good team, yet we are 4-3 and have 2 conference losses. Very disappointing.
Last edited by boulder3m on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Absolutely brutal.

A funny moment, though:

My 10-year-old looked across the way at the Citadel students and said, "Are those REAL Army people?" I wasn't sure how to explain...
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:46 pm

Dominated the game in about every aspect statistically, but enough turnovers to feed a family of four. Penalties killed us against Sammy and turnovers killed us today. Got to be more disciplined and protect the ball to win the close ones. Season is far from over. Let's see what we can do from here on out. I'm sure our guys would like another crack at both of these teams.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Now that the adrenaline has settled a little, that was a really good football game. Two very strong and very well coached similar teams slugging it out in a running battle. We made them blink a number of times, but we blinked last. We gave them a touchdown on offense and turned it over near the goal line and to give them a short field. Yet our defense stood tall through a lot of adversity. The problem is that the little things add up, and we ended up on the short end. The Citadel is a fine team, and they are riding a hot string of winning close games. We are exactly the opposite, having lost two close conference games we should have won. Sports mirror life. Sometimes you just feel like it is stacked against you, and then finally you break through and go on a run of everything going your way. Let's hope our guys gain a feeling of strength from how we played today and come back next week and play that game we know we can.
On another front, we have already burned the redshirt, so why not let Joe Newman play an occasional series. He obviously brings a few things to the table that are outstanding and it would give Goodson a little time to rest.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:02 pm

I am sure many of our players feel very bad about the loss and the way it happened. They should take it as a lesson for next time; the SHD's gave excellent effort today and played superbly in most respects. Hopefully they will learn a valuable life lesson, which is that failure sometimes happens, and you generally learn and grow more from a failure than you do from a success. All you can do is move forward with your head up ... continue to focus and give great effort to fix what went wrong, and as Boulder suggests the tide will turn. Time to man up, as a TEAM.

Game stats. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2016/10 ... rtime.aspx

Our D was excellent; Lemon and Rivera, among others, continuing to step up. Jaleel was terrific, D. Wilson fantastic.

Our OL did great work all day; LoLo was a stud.

Simply stated, the play that sunk us was the 4th quarter pick six on the option pitch. Bad decision, athletic defensive play. First half fumble inside their 10 a killer too.

To their credit, Cid fans on their board saying some sportsmanlike things about us, especially our D.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:12 pm

The way I see it, over the course of that 16 year win streak (or was it 17, I honestly can't remember?) we got lucky on some days. A turnover, or a big play gave us the advantage. That's how football is. Compared to other sports, with the exception of maybe baseball, it's the one sport in which a sequence of just one or two plays can define the whole game.

In this case, luck was on their side (and when I say luck, I don't mean to take away from their victory, I just mean luck in the sense of low probability what if what what if sort of way) for once, and it cost us.

They're a Great team. They're gonna win the SoCon, it's almost a guarantee at this point (VMI and ETSU will not beat them, so they're at least guaranteed a tie).

We're a good team too. We're just not a great team (yet). Goodson is a good QB and next year when Butler and he are back, I think we're gonna have a good two QB system going. One of the things we also forget is how young we are. Gay, Wharby, Miller, Long and Colvin we'll miss next year, but we continue to be a very deep and very young team (especially on defense!)

We don't know how to "win" close games, because we honestly haven't beaten a team we weren't favored against in a very long time. We've made great strides this year, which is why I maintain my optimism, especially considering we looked like we were stuck in neutral for the last 2-3 years. The season isn't over yet. We win our next 4, we're in the playoffs, and if that happens I wouldn't want to be the first team slated against us.

This loss sucks and it's really painful. Good teams move past it, and I think we will. I don't want to be Mercer next week.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:00 pm

YT, loss does hurt - badly. Feel for Will Gay; yet, absent the other turnovers, overtime is a non-issue as Terriers win handily.
As others have stated, let's not forget Newman in the QB mix THIS season (since his shirt is burned.) Provides Goodson with a breather and defenses another look.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football