Link to the PHANTOM PASS INTERFERENCE CALL!!!! Terrible call

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Link to the PHANTOM PASS INTERFERENCE CALL!!!! Terrible call

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Last edited by 19TERRIER19 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: How do you link a video clip. I have it on my phone

Postby Ruckus on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:16 pm

Saw your clip on Twitter. Terrible call.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:42 pm

I think it won the game. That call. Seriously
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:29 pm

It looked as if it were holding away from the ball which prevented their player from making a play, not pass interference, although I suspect it is a call that would rarely be made.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:22 am

we had enough penalties to lose the game without that one. They stalled drives; most of them were mental errors.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:45 am

We definitely made our own share of penalties that killed us. That call just ticked me off after such a great effort in the grab.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:19 pm

19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: Link to the PHANTOM PASS INTERFERENCE CALL!!!! Terrible

Postby drpnut on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:06 pm

I have known refs that have gotten demoted for less tan that egregious call.

Pitiful.

BTW thank you for all your and your family's support to our great school. You truly are an ambassador. And I hope that RJ has enjoyed his experience.
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:56 pm

Okay, here's the thing and I hate to be *that guy*

I'll admit that pass interference evaluation isn't my strong suit. Maybe "holding" would have been the better call. It's true that it happened relatively away from the ball, and the player RJ made contact with was not defending Gay and probably would not have made the play on the ball even if he hadn't made contact.

But the thing is, the contact happened and had some consequence to the defenders actions. RJ was clearly looking around to see where Gay way, meaning the contact and "grabbing" was intentional to that end. Now, should it have been illegal contact or holding or pass interference? I don't know, but it clearly was a penalty to some extent.

Is it the sole reason we lost? No, we had plenty more penalties that day.
But was it a phantom call? I don't think so. There's excellent reason to call it. It's kind of like when we lost to GSU in the playoffs a few years ago and the outcome very much rode on our defensive player grazing (but clearly gripping) the facemask (even though it wasn't necessary for the tackle. It's tough to watch and the consequence of the action isn't really consequential to the outcome of the play, but arguably it has an impact and thus the flag is flown.

RJ made a mistake. It's part of the game. You have to learn from it, have a short memory and move on. He's not the first, last, or only player to make a mistake that gets a flag thrown.

We can agree to disagree but that's my two cents worth
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:56 pm

(and I thought it was a phantom call too upon seeing the replay the first time FWIW)
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 pm

YT,

You sound so much like your dad, lol. I like the fact that you took the time to state your case, but I disagree. I think the best case scenario would have been a no call, lke in basketball

For what it is worth I showed this clip to a friend who is an official in the Mountain West Conference, and he said there is no way he would have made that call. He is the one that gave me the idea of a no-call.

But that is the good thing about healthy debate. I can understand your case, and to quote the Apostle Paul, "agree to disagree."
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:05 pm

In no way shape or form is that a call of Pass interference.......The receiver has the rites to go on a pass route....the DB interfered with his route an grabbed him.......of course the design of that play is to have defenders in a quandary of how to defend the 2 routes, thats the point. The ref made that call thinking the defender on Will Gay was "Picked", it had nothing to do with the contact of the Sammy DB and our receiver. The defender on Will Gay got beat by Will Gay's footwork, who stutter stepped him and he froze, then Will ran past him. Point Blank Period. DB's cant grab and pull on receivers past 5 yards down field.....IF any call is to be made, and there wasnt one to make, but if you did, it would be defensive holding.........
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:27 pm

I have known refs that have gotten demoted for less tan that egregious call.

Pitiful.

BTW thank you for all your and your family's support to our great school. You truly are an ambassador. And I hope that RJ has enjoyed his experience.

Thank you very much. RJ is loving his experience. Well mostly......School is tough, long way from home....and we don't throw the ball often. So there are frustrations in general, but he loves his brothers on the team and his Wofford family. And I spend my time here in Lexington spreading the word about Wofford and get our brand and name out to all the schools and players in the area. Lexington is very familiar with Wofford now and with the players we have landed are building a nice pipeline from lexington to Spartanburg. I cannot say enough about how much we have valued our time with the Wofford program. Wofford invested into RJ, so we are invested into Wofford. So much so that I have a funny story for you....

RJ has a little sister, (my little peanut) Lilly and she is 6 years old. (An absolute monster on the soccer pitch already, shes 6 playing up on the 9 and under Club level select soccer team, Wofford needs to go ahead and get on her now class of 2028...lol. So, Lilly was in Kindergarten last year, and they had a project, and the project was "If I were president for the day I would....." and the kids were to fill in what they would do. So obviously, kids had all types of answers...........and here was Lilly's.

"If i were president for a day.....I would"

DESTROY CLEMSON AND turn it into a basketball court.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WOFFORD IS ALL IN OUR FAMILY I TELL YA....LMAO.........
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:28 pm

I think the ref who threw the flag got the wrong idea that the DB who was guarding 19 was guarding Gay, or wanted to. Wrong, that DB was clearly on 19 and no one else. It looked like a little contact was occurring between 19 and the DB, with more from the DB. Call should have been: no flag. If a flag had to be called, it should have been on the DB for holding. Blown call.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:31 pm

M.r Taylor,

Thanks for the good words about RJ and your family. Glad you all are part of the family and "Wofford Way."

And the story about Lilly..."Priceless."
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football