Samford

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Samford

Postby Ruckus on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:06 pm

I would would put Samford behind Chatty and CId. Cid whipped our butts; we were never in that game.
Maybe it's just my memory but I thought we played pretty well v Sammy in the first half last year.
This year, there is not a game left on our schedule that we can't win.....or lose.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Line em up..........Sammy is next man up. Way game becomes the most important of the year.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:15 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:41 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:59 pm

http://thefcswedge.com/socon/socon-week-5-preview/

Samford will prevail at home by at least 10

I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:14 pm

No offense to the writers of that article. But to summarize all the indicators with Samford winning comfortably is moronic at best. Let me summarize

Wofford 3rd in the nation running the ball
Sammy bad at stopping the run/ Giving up 187 yards per game on the ground. And that is against balanced offenses. Not a run heavy dominant team like Wofford.

Samford very 1 dimensional offense (albeit a prolific passing attack) struggling mightily on the ground.
Wofford Rush defense is 2nd in the nation. Making an already 1 dimensional team even moreso.

Wofford monopolizes the time of possession. Against a pass heavy team.

Wofford is averaging 48 yards per punt also one of the best in the nation.

So looking at the stats from the article, how in the world do you come to the conclusion that samford wins by 10 or more......LMAO.

If anything it says the other way. And I will be the one to say it. Wofford is going into Sammy and will kick their tails. I think this defense is legit and will prove itself once again this week. The offense will continue to pound the rock behind our stellar O line play and will grind the Sammy defense and clock. Our D Line continues its great play and gets pressure on Hodges and shuts down the run game making Sammy 1 dimensional. And in a battle of 1 dimensional teams, give me the one that can run the ball. Thats our scenario. Wofford serves notice to the country with what we do to Samford this weekend.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Our D is legit. May be the best since '03.
If we make them one dimensional, get pressure on the QB, avoid the big play, and limit yards after the catch (all of which we did last week), we will be in a position to win. But to win this game (more than any other game so far except Ole Miss), our O must put points on the board and avoid TOs. The critical position is QB and how Goodson (and likely to a lesser extent, Newman) responds. Look for 9 in the box; OL has to get it done up front and QB has to execute and make great decisions. Offensively, we played 3 quarters last week which was more than enough. We will need 4 full ones this week.
Big challenge on the road but definitely winnable.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:53 pm

I admit that I am not as astute as some of you folks, like Ruck, 19, et al. But I've been around long enough and watched enough football to feel like I'm pretty adept at the nuances and flow of the game.

So my take on this game:

SAmmy is pass happy as we all know. We also know that Hatcher like to to "dink and dunk," slip-screen and short to mid patterns. And historically this has given us fits. But this year I sense is a bit different. I think we will give up some plays, but Sammy will throw for no more than 275 yards and have difficulty in the red zone. I believe Coach Fuqua will dial up even more blitz packages this week. Even with their quick release QB I'm predicting 4 sacks and 2 INT's. And at least 9 hurries. We will force them to become even more one dimensional. Their QB finishes 29 of 57 for 268 yards. and 2 picks, one of which we take to the house.

Our O will be fine. We will rush for 337 yards and pass for another 91. The QB (no matter who) wil do a good job of engineering the game. Zo will have over 120 yards and 8 backs will tote the rock.

We will have no TO's and less tan 40 yards in penalties.

Score will be Woffy 31 Sammy 17.
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:13 pm

For some reason I like being picked as a big underdog to Sammy. Our guys on both sides of the LOS should take that as a personal slap.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football