Samford

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Samford

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:50 pm

From the box score in the Samford/Chatt game it appears that Samford does not run the ball much, and wants to throw it a lot. Until we get to the option teams we probably won't see a team that thinks it can run against us. The pass defense against ETSU was really strong, but we will be tested more my Samford and later by others. Chatty is the real deal, so I think it is fair to look at what they did against Samford. They ran and threw it well, and I would think we can do the same. If our D plays like they are showing it will be fun to put together some more of those long drives.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: Samford

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Samford is going to try to throw it all over the field against us.

Being able to apply pressure and get off the field on defense will be the key to us winning. We need our offense to come together and play ball control also.

We need to keep the score to this game under 28 to have a shot, and I think we can do it. If we win this game, I'll feel confident saying "we're back" but that's a huge if.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:17 pm

This is very much a key game in our season. The Mocs are obviously still the team to beat in the SoCon, but Samford may be the second best team right now (with all due respect to The Citadel). But we could have something to say about that. If our defense can play another great game and get pressure on the Samford QB consistently, we will have a great chance to come home from Birmingham victorious. And although there are many games between that one and Chatty, it will give us a great chance to perhaps play the Mocs for the confernce title! In any event, I definitely will think we are a playoff team if we win next Saturday. Samford is a good team and would make for an excellent road victory if we can pull it out down there. If we lose then doubts about us will definitely start to creep in again...but let's not think about that now.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:24 pm

I'm not sure how we'll do next week, but I have to say I don't think Samford is the second best team in the conference.

Against 2 FCS opponents, they've allowed 11 sacks. That bodes well for us, especially since last year we couldn't get nearly enough pressure on them. Our defense was pretty dominant this week, but I think we just overwhelmed them in the trenches. You can't expect that to happen every week.

Offensively, yes, Butler being out will hurt us. Goodson I think is a better runner than Butler, but not as good of a passer (though probably better than Evan Jacks). The fact that we know who "the guy" is bodes well for us I think, especially with such a strong defense. Offensively this week we didn't do so well on third downs and passing the ball once Butler went out (to be fair, we only threw it 6 times, 2 of which Butler threw), but our offense did play well on third down, putting us in a manageable fourth down situation. We were 5-5 of on fourth down (technically 5-6, but the last one was when we took a knee as time expired).

So far we seem to be a very deep team, and though we sputtered at times today, we played well offensively. ETSU was keying on the QB/pitch man and our fullbacks were able to have their way.

I would imagine we're favored going into this game, but anything could happen as the season is still relatively young. I'll say we win 28-20.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:31 pm

My actual unabashed opinion right now, biased though it might be, is that we are at least the second best team in the conference right now and maybe even the best. I think our defense will flex its muscles again and we'll beat Samford in a fairly low scoring game, along the lines of 20-10.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:48 pm

YT I'm proud of you! Your Wofford education has made you a skeptic and maybe a cynic! I mean that with tongue in cheek and in a friendly way. I checked and you had us as a 27-17 winner over ETSU, and you are very understandably in the "show me" corner, given what it has been like the past few seasons. What I see from this team is a depth I have never seen in a Wofford team. There may be spots that we are thin, but we have already lost several key players and the replacements have been seamless. We run players in and out and no one notices. We have an unbelievable group of running backs, and each seems to have his own special abilities. However, it is the linemen on both D and O that seem to be very special on this team. That freshmen are playing seems to me to be a plus in the recruiting wars. If a kid is marginal on a big time team he thinks that a Wofford would let him play immediately and not redshirt. Kids want to play, and that is a plus when they see freshmen playing for Wofford.
Here's a few things we are seeing that appear to me to be different. 1)We are changing running backs so often that our crack audio team often doesn't know who is the carrier. 2)We are throwing to the flats area and tight end more than before. 3)Our corners are tighter and quicker to the ball than ever. 4)We are fielding punts and trying to make plays off special teams, rather than just getting the ball and being content to go from there. 5)On defense we are willing to stunt and let the opposition know we are unpredictable.6)The running plays off the offensive sets are very creative and give our backs the opportunity to do what they do best.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:31 pm

Looking at the ETSU game it seems very clear that they were conceding the dive man (which is why it was so effective all day) to prevent us from the big play around the perimeter.

They seemed to see us coming on our long range plays (for example, on second and long we predictably run a dive play and we were able to take advantage of them trying to defend that for our third TD).

I think playcalling is gonna be huge to Goodson's effectiveness. Some drives went three and out or we stalled, but overall he played a good game and I don't think he made too many bad reads. Heck, I'm only seeing one or two to be honest so far.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:54 pm

One weakness that ETSU was able to exploit: when it's second and long...we're predictable (dive play). If you watch the replay on ESPN3 you can see that they either key the dive on second and long (or we just aren't aren't effective with it on second and long). From there, they banked on keeping us contained on second and long and on third and mid or third and long, they banked on us going around the perimeter and were pretty aggressive on it.

So, if I were to advise anything, I would say don't pass on first down. We don't want to be put in a second and long situation and if we are, do something more creative.

Goodson, overall, had a good game. ETSU also had a good gameplan defensively, they just didn't have the personnel to stop us by virtue of us being really effective with the dive all day long.

Have to stay on schedule, minimize mistakes, and not turn the ball over.

Also, punting continues to be effective.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:17 pm

No offense. Samford is going to get this work. They don't stop the run. Wofford controls the clock and continues to play top 10 level defense. Wofford establishes itself this week. Get accustomed family. I told you all off season what was coming. Wofford is back
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:27 pm

19TERRIER19 wrote:No offense. Samford is going to get this work. They don't stop the run. Wofford controls the clock and continues to play top 10 level defense. Wofford establishes itself this week. Get accustomed family. I told you all off season what was coming. Wofford is back

I sure hope you're right. Gotta take it one week at a time. I'll be on the not-conservative bandwagon if we win every game for the next month
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:08 am

Our defense is #1 nationally in total defense

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:35 pm

OK, boys and girls, lets look at this body of work so far. We've played two bottom feeders and Ole Miss. so far. The better gauge is how we dealt with Ole Miss. They played very well in a no win situation. If Ole Miss. comes at us like they did against FSU, who knows what the outcome would have been. Against ETSU I predicted a score of 31-10, thinking ETSU would at least get a few points at the end, our defense had something to say about that. Chatty hammered Sammy 41-21 with a balanced attacking offense. Could have been worse. I'll say again, no problem with Sammy in this one too.......we double them up......24-12. Matters not who the QB is at this point......pretty equal, and we ain't throwin' it anyway!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:07 pm

mudrat43 wrote:OK, boys and girls, lets look at this body of work so far. We've played two bottom feeders and Ole Miss. so far. The better gauge is how we dealt with Ole Miss. They played very well in a no win situation. If Ole Miss. comes at us like they did against FSU, who knows what the outcome would have been. Against ETSU I predicted a score of 31-10, thinking ETSU would at least get a few points at the end, our defense had something to say about that. Chatty hammered Sammy 41-21 with a balanced attacking offense. Could have been worse. I'll say again, no problem with Sammy in this one too.......we double them up......24-12. Matters not who the QB is at this point......pretty equal, and we ain't throwin' it anyway!

If we can keep Samford below 20, I'll be officially excited for this team.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:42 pm

Of all the games I saw last year (at Gibbs or on TV/ESPN3, Samford was the only FCS team that I felt really whooped us. We played badly against Western and took Chatty down to the wire, but we were never in the Sammy game.

This week will be a definite challenge.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Walliver I have to agree. Samford just flat laid it on us, and no one else did that. WCU probably went into the ETSU game thinking they would walk over them. When they got them down big they just let up. We were the beneficiary of that upset, in that we realized that ETSU could play. From here on out we know everyone can play. While I don't know what the real ranking of the teams in the conference will be, I tend to agree with YT that Sammy is not the second best in the league. We have a good schedule, in that we get a buildup before playing the best. However, to overlook Samford would be a big mistake. They are well coached and good, and can beat anyone who takes them less than seriously.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football