Brad Butler

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Brad Butler

Postby lawdog on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:20 pm

Butler has been operating our offense flawlessly and showing a lot of class in the process. Really hope his leg injury is not serious and that he will be back. SHDs everywhere are pulling for him.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Brad Butler

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:25 pm

lawdog wrote:Butler has been operating our offense flawlessly and showing a lot of class in the process. Really hope his leg injury is not serious and that he will be back. SHDs everywhere are pulling for him.

+1
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:52 pm

+1
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:01 pm

Has butler been your starting qb?
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:10 pm

gofurman wrote:Has butler been your starting qb?

yes
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:02 am

Is your next guy pretty Similar style ? What's the next guys name? I am sure it will be game notes next week
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:03 am

to be completely fair, I don't think we've had a solidified starting QB to start for more than 2 or 3 games uninterrupted since since Mitch Allen in 2011.

On one side that's a bad thing, on another that just seems to be "how we roll" now and so I'm not too worried. Goodson is the man now, barring injury.

At least now, compared to last year, we have an established depth chart.

Goodson is a better runner than Butler, but not as good as a passer.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:53 am

Goodson/Butler have been listed as co starters up until the first game they are both fully. Apable of running the show although I have to commend Brad for how well he has operated the offense. I'm fully confident in Brandon running the offense. And you have to like how good Joe Newman looked running the offense. We are blessed at the QB position. Looks like the last couple years of musical QBs has paid dividends this season as all our guys are able and prepared to run the offense. I just hope for brad's healthy return.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:09 am

I couldn't make the game so I watched it on ESPN3.

Mike Ayers' comments after the game when he spoke to Mark Hauser were quite interesting.

He spoke highly of Newman's play, but seemed disappointed in Goodson's performance saying he "didn't get it done". Likely, this was because he expects more from Goodson than a true freshman, but it seemed a little out of character.

If Butler is out for a while, I suspect Goodson will start, and it will be his job to lose, but I wouldn't be surprised if we are starting a freshman by November.
Last edited by walliver on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:17 am

I do not think Goodson ran the offense with much confidence, which is understandable since he has fewer opportunities; he will get more comfortable. I thought Butler was doing very well, and that Newman showed a surprising amount of confidence, skill, and poise. Bottom line, Goodson and Newman will be able to get it done if Butler can't go. Howerton does not appear as comfortable running, and may lack some foot speed, but he is very familiar with our offense and could do some things well. We could consider doing a little direct snapping to a RB, like Ostin, Colvin, or McAfee, to wildcat for a change of look.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:25 am

I noticed that the coach's comments to Todd Shanesy were much more complementary to Goodson. Maybe he had more time to think about his answer.

To me, Goodson seems less comfortable this year than he did last year. Hopefully after a week as "the man" in practice, he will be ready to step up a notch this week.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:31 am

No official word on the extent of Butler's injury yet? It seems many are fearing the worst- that he is lost for the season. I really hope not.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:32 am

Goodson is a bit more athletic than Butler but he missed a number of reads yesterday and quite frankly didn't throw the ball as well as he can. The option bogged down under his leadership for the most part. i don't know if it is timing/pace, reads, or what that affected the offense. I don't mean to be negative but it is what it is.
Newman came in and he looked completely different. He attacked the edge and even when they had it defended he made people miss. His one throw was off the mark and looks like he needs to work on some fundamentals there but I like what I saw in limited action. He has a wiggle no doubt. I agree with Walliver; it may be Newman's offense in November if Butler is out.
I can't say enough about Butler. He has been flat running the O: efficient, mistake free, good decisions, good on time throws, good pitches, good reads. We would have put 40 plus on ETSU yesterday is he doesn't go down. Sure hope he gets back.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:00 am

the way I see it, we've been playing musical chairs at QB since 2011 and if we can make the playoffs with a walk on QB having the best feel for the offense, there's no excuse for us to not play well enough to get there too.

Butler was playing great this year, but to be frank QB play the last couple of years has been pretty average. If our defense is as good as I think it is, that's going to be the key to us playing better offensively, allowing whoever "the guy" is to not take all the pressure of winning.

Butler definitely had a better "feel" for the offense, but if Goodson is the guy from here on out, I think the team believes in him enough to where we can win some games (their body language suggested as much yesterday)
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Butler at QB Saturday was a beautiful thing to behold. For the first time in a while, I had the feeling that the other team had no idea what was coming next, and was giving up hope ... they were confused, hot and tired. His reads were right and his timing was usually spot on. We were attacking the defense. On top of everything else, his passing has been crisp and at 6-2 220 pounds he is a handful to get down. To complement that, our blocking on the edge and downfield in particular was excellent; that can be demoralizing to a defense. We were in sync, big time.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football