Humor me. Friendly Furman fan - thoughts?

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Humor me. Friendly Furman fan - thoughts?

Postby gofurman on Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:21 am

Ya'll know me. I come round' each year and keep it civil. At least until we play each other. Thanks for letting me post.

Glad you have represented well. 2-1. Lost to Ole Miss

Anyway needed to vent. We got Fuh/:;kld by the schedule makers. We will prolly be the "best 0-4" team in FCS I can recall. I sorta laugh and sorta want to cry. Awesome D. Awesome. Not much O to speak of yet

First we play Michigan State who just beat Notre Dame. Play On road. Top ten FBS! We were getting 42 points in Vegas. Lost by 15. We Had the ball in fourth quarter down 21-13 in East Lansing...they picked it off and finally won by two scores. That's a great showing. I saw someone on here said that's good but MSU runs a lot so not hard to stay near them. Their coach even said (and I listened to game) they intended to run and run and run to wear us out but they couldn't run well on us so they had to go to the air which they didn't want to do. Our D is freakish - ESP run D

Then we played top 15 Citadel. On road again. Lose 19-14. They only got to 19 points bc we muffed a punt and they recovered fumble. Else we may win vs top 15 team. Again no Offense for us. Again we have a Stellar freaky great rush D. It was Citadels second lowest rushing total in 3 years counting playing USC and FSU and Chattanooga and playoffs etc. 190 rush yards for citadel vs us . They ran for like 400 vs Coastal last year for perspective

Then we play number 4 Chatt last night. Damn. It just keeps getting harder. Granted, At home. Lose 21-14. Again stellar D. Chatt came in w a total score in first two games of 100-0. Yeah. 100-0. I fully admit they played PC and Shorter. Still, three time defending conference champs and undefeated this year. We held them under 300 yds offense. 7-0 half. 21-0. Then blaze gets hurt at QB. Hannon comes in. 14 points. Lose 21-14. Maybe Hannon is the answer.

Perhaps if Hannon played the prior games we are 2-1. Would be top 15 ranked had we beaten Citadel and Chatt. I'll say this... And I am objective about my team - I wouldn't want to play us. . I could see someone losing to us as we are 0-4. People would say 'how did you lose to an 0-3 / 0-4 team'. Our record could be deceiving.

Schedule. Michigan State. # 15 Citadel. #4 chatt. Now we go (on road) to top 15 Coastal who is really FBS. They have the full 85 scholarships - next year full FBS. They aren't eligible for playoffs this year. Toughest September schedule I have ever seen us have n 25 years of watching

Anyway, thanks for humoring me. If our guys don't give up our game w yet beat some very good teams. I honestly think our D is about the best in the conference. At least our run D. But our O needs to help,them. Our D is light years ahead of last year.

Sorry to hear about Jacks and was glad the kid w cardiac issue was at a game when it happened !!! If he had been elsewhere it could have been bad if I read correctly. So glad he is ok!

I know this is Wofford board. Thanks for listening. Any random thoughts?
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Re: Humor me. Friendly Furman fan - thoughts?

Postby Ruckus on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 am

Sorrells is the problem IMO.
Bobby let him ruin his job and Bruce is doing the same thing.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:08 am

Furman's D does seem to be ahead of its O; the O sometimes just shuts down and the D then gets worn down.

Richard Hayes should be used better; he was doing some things against Chatt and when he got some rhythm he quit getting the ball. He is talented. (Now, watch him score the winning TD against us.)

Playing this difficult early schedule could serve you well later.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:17 pm

Why was Blaze playing in place of Hannon?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:20 pm

Blaze never relinquished the starting job from last year.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:49 pm

I hate to be a negative nancy to the Furpes (I'm half lying) but every year we hear the same thing.

The defense is good, the offense shows promise, but the team is overall inconsistent. Mathematically speaking, Fowler has consistently put "worse" teams out than Bobby Lamb did. It's almost as if Furman has Gamecock syndrome nowadays ("Maybe Next Year") which is probably a better fan syndrome than "Fire The Coach" but at the same time it has a blinder effect.

Furman comes about always playing good defense and occasionally playing good offense, often playing at the level of its competition.

It's true that they've done better against the likes of LSU and Michigan State than we have with Clemson, Baylor, and Ole Miss, but it's also true that the former set is going to be teams not intent on running up the score, while the latter ones are.

When we're talking about differences in talent and depth, of course Furman will do better than we do against their FBS opponents. FBS football has changed a lot in the 9 years since App State beat Michigan, just as many teams run the spread but it's tweaked in such a way that's intent on running up the score. In football we like to think of teams in terms of the transitive property. Team A> Team B > Team C ergo, Team A > Team. That's not how it works. There's a variety of factors from time management, offensive strength, etc that contribute to a teams chances of winning. App State had those matchups, and there are a few FCS teams that also do. For instance, There's a reason why NDSU has won as many as they have against FBS, primarily because none of the teams they've played don't run the Baylor/Clemson/fast pace spread, and their overall team is good enough to manage a game. I don't mean this to take away from NDSU, on the contrary, I'm pointing out why they are successful.

because the rest of FCS isn't as good and we have to really stop thinking near misses mean anything at all.

None of this has anything to do with whether or not Furman or Wofford would be good this year, but at the end of the day there's no such thing as a good 0-4 team because it's all speculative. Good teams figure out how to win, and near misses don't mean much. Take us for example, we've been probably less than 20 points away for the season the last couple years from having a record good enough for the playoffs/conference title but instead we've hovered around 5-6/6-5. If if's and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

I'm obviously concerned about playing Furman, primarily because we have bad mojo going to play there in Greenville, but in terms of overall consistency, the only teams that have been consistent of late have been the Citadel and Chattanooga. Anyone can take that third spots except maybe VMI.

So Furman doesn't particularly scare me, but it's not because I'm confident about beating them (we've dropped 2 of 3 to them), but because Furman hasn't given me any reason to think they're any better than they normally are and I don't know how good we are (a 6-5 Wofford team got wholloped by a terrible Furman team, and then the next year we moderately improved and turned the tide)

The Socon is wide open this year because the familiar faces aren't here or aren't up to par (us) and because the Citadel's coach is gone. The only teams that have proven themselves without stumbling this year are Chattanooga and the Citadel, everyone else has yet to make a statement game.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:34 pm

I am sure Furman is strong defensively as their numbers would suggest and they are playing a brutal September schedule. Dropping 4 games in a row regardless of how competitive they are, can be demoralizing for the remainder of the season. I think that Wofford's defense is as good as any in the league. Maybe slightly behind Chatt but I will have a better gauge of that after this weekend. Chatt / Samford game should be a good one.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:39 pm

Regarding the prior post - I would say our D is right there w Chatt. Might sound crazy but hear me out. Our O is admittedly struggling (Sorrells ? whatever?) and the Chattanooga Offense is decent to strong - in other words, the Chattanooga offense is better than our offense . That being the case our D was facing a better Offense than the Chattanooga D was facing (they only had to contain our sorry offense). Yet both teams got 280 yards. I think that substantiates my claims on our Defense. Just a thought

Also regarding the prior post, I agree that my real concern is we go 0-4 and the team quits. I hope that doesn't happen just as we get to the easier teams. Usually we would have had at least one 'easier' team in September. Instead we got two FBS teams and the top two conference teams all in a row
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:30 pm

gofurman wrote:Regarding the prior post - I would say our D is right there w Chatt. Might sound crazy but hear me out. Our O is admittedly struggling (Sorrells ? whatever?) and the Chattanooga Offense is decent to strong - in other words, the Chattanooga offense is better than our offense . That being the case our D was facing a better Offense than the Chattanooga D was facing (they only had to contain our sorry offense). Yet both teams got 280 yards. I think that substantiates my claims on our Defense. Just a thought

Also regarding the prior post, I agree that my real concern is we go 0-4 and the team quits. I hope that doesn't happen just as we get to the easier teams. Usually we would have had at least one 'easier' team in September. Instead we got two FBS teams and the top two conference teams all in a row

I think it's more in line with how Furman has run the team that they rally or try to rally.

With respect to our team, we seem to be the only ones who fold once the playoffs are off the table
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football