Michael Roach

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Michael Roach

Postby boulder3m on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:00 pm

If you look up Sudden Cardiac Arrest you find that it happens to roughly 350,000 people per year and that approximately 90% of them die. Had Michael not been in the immediate presence of trained professionals there is a very good chance that today would be a devastating day for his family and the whole Wofford family. The ability to save a life with the current CPR techniques is available to everyone. If you have ever been in the presence of anyone who died of SCA you will never forget it, and you will not want it to happen again without making an attempt to help. Regardless of the outcome for Michael he is a lucky guy, and we are very fortunate that the circumstances were not different. Welcome back, Michael.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: Michael Roach

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:49 pm

I am glad to find out this young man is OK. There is no doubt that God has a plan for him.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:14 am

A tweet from MR

Michael Roach ‏@_michaelroach_ · Sep 1

Thanks to all who prayed and reached out to me. It truly means more than you know. Proud of my brothers for getting the W! I'll be back soon
Loyalterrier

Postby walliver on Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:36 pm

http://woffordterriers.com/news/2016/9/ ... roach.aspx

Latest update. He is a very lucky young man, only 5% survive this.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:48 pm

Thankfully he's part of the 5% and for that we're all thankful.

Unfortunately it looks like this is a career ender for him :?
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:29 pm

At this point, it does not matter.
So thankful he is ok. He has a bright future with or without football. This is what Wofford is all about.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:22 pm

What an absolute testament to the kind of guys Wofford has in it's program. At a time when Michael Roach's entire world has been turned upside down and his entire future has changed in a moment he takes the time to thank everyone who helped him individually by name. His football career may be over, but without a doubt, he embodies what it means to be a Terrier. I am so thrilled that the right care was available at the right time and place for him and that he beat those long odds. The future holds great things for Michael and I know we will all be as proud of his accomplishments off the field in the future as we have been with what he has done on the field.

Also, what a great testament to the Cookeville, Tennessee and Tennessee Tech communities. They truly have gone above and beyond the call of duty. The care and attention they have shown says a lot about them and will be something that the Wofford community should always remember them for. I know OOC schedule is a tough thing, but these are the sort of people that I would like Wofford to continue playing and I hope we see them on future schedules.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:11 pm

I second every thought by others on this post. Mike answered every tweet as well, and I think he comprehends what happened and the magnitude. He is one of God's chosen folks, and he will make a difference.
On a personal note, I went back and watched what was online from the OVC feed. After Mike was taken away with a beating heart and evidently communicating, we saw Coach Ayers gather the team around him and give what appeared to be a passionate speech. When he was finished, he slipped out of the huddle to let the team gather together. You could see Coach as he escaped the huddle take off his cap to wipe his face. The pain was inescapable, but my guess is that he delivered one of his greatest speeches. Wofford is a family, and a pretty small one, as colleges and universities go. We don't grieve for the loss of a playing career, but rejoice for a life. This could have happened in so many places that Mike wouldn't have gotten the help needed to keep living, and we can all name those places. I hope to see him prowling the sidelines or helping out in the booth with the coaches, and I hope he has a BIG smile on his face!!!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:56 pm

In my life, I have never seen a moment like that time Thursday night at TTU. 45 seconds prior, the crowd was divided cheering for their favorite team. Then, we were all united as one in prayer and hope, spectators of a life and death fight on the sidelines. I will never, never forget the shout of "clear!" as the worked on this young man with a defibulator and the crowd moaned. Watching the athletes in the center of the field---powerful.

I don't know how the coaches were able to get those young men (and themselves) focused to play the rest of the game (and so well at that). Hats off to them, the training staff, the TTU staff and the city for their outstanding work and sportsmanship.

There are some things that transcend sport; we witnessed one of those things Thursday night.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby ARTerrier on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:06 pm

I will never forget the P.A. announcer's plea of "EMS, we need you immediately," as the emergency personnel with the defibrillator were first walking slowly towards the sideline. They then broke into a jog and, as dungeonjoe said, the stadium was so still that you could hear them shout "Clear!" as they worked on him. My feet were shaking the entire time and I'm not sure they stopped even after the subsequent announcement that he was responsive. I am unimaginably thankful that he is alive today. That was so much more than football.
ARTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:28 am

One other thing perhaps a little overlooked is the total preparedness of everyone in the situation. Wofford's medical staff, including trainers and doctors, were right on top of the situation. The TTU trainers and doctors came quickly to help. TTU had an ambulance and EMS on site and in position to help and then proceed to the hospital. That all were prepared and completely competent was NO ACCIDENT. Kudos to all from both Athletic Directors on down.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:40 pm

ART, beautifully said ... got a lump in the old throat.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby ARTerrier on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:48 pm

Story from Shanesy: http://tinyurl.com/z2htqye
Video: http://www.tout.com/m/8yxqth

Thinking about this the other day:
“The game of football really did save my life and give me a second chance,” Roach said. “This could’ve happened anywhere. It could’ve happened when I was out by myself doing anything, riding a bike or running or something like that. I am extremely fortunate.”

Scary as it was, this was actually a blessing in disguise; given that Roach's condition was hereditary, this could have happened anywhere, especially somewhere without medical personnel on hand. Thankful that it worked out this way and hope him the best in the future.
ARTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Buckeyeterrier on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:03 pm

A blessing indeed. HCM is what took Hank Gathers' life; unfortunately it wasn't diagnosed until his autopsy. Michael is so fortunate to have received the immediate care that he did, and for this to happen when/where it did. Here's Gathers' Wiki page for those that don't know the story. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Gathers
Buckeyeterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby walliver on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Buckeyeterrier wrote:A blessing indeed. HCM is what took Hank Gathers' life; unfortunately it wasn't diagnosed until his autopsy. Michael is so fortunate to have received the immediate care that he did, and for this to happen when/where it did. Here's Gathers' Wiki page for those that don't know the story. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Gathers

It also killed a high school player in Lexington this summer.
http://www.thestate.com/news/local/arti ... 34652.html

The coroner's commentary is somewhat misleading. Routine EKG's are not generally recommended in the US, although there is a great deal of controversy on how to handle heart screening for athletes.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1994446/

An easier-to-read article:
http://news.heart.org/screening-young-a ... t-disease/
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football